Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Disney buys Star Wars  (Read 16471 times)

Offline Vampire Killer

• HOLY CROSS, Batman!
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2012, 03:09:35 PM »
+1
I'm really excited about the possibilities. I mean, I doubt it's possible to screw up the series worse than Lucas already has.
Behold my true form......IS A CHAIR!!!

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2012, 03:22:49 PM »
Like I said on Facebook, maybe if they stick to the Expanded Universe it won't be so bad. Can't go wrong with Thrawn, right?

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2012, 05:13:50 PM »
The only thing from the expanded universe that I'm familiar with are the Dark Forces games. I guess I should count myself lucky.

Anyways here's to a GRIM GRITTY Disney reboot or something.

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2012, 05:44:12 PM »
Disney isn't all kid-friendly. One of the biggest steps toward notoriety Disney made in recent years (aside from the legacy of Tron and Black Hole) is when they picked up distribution rights from Studio Ghibli. For Disney to accept a contract that stipulates they cannot edit Studio Ghibli's films beyond synching lips was a big step away from what people normally consider Disney kitsch: Tanuki flailing their testicles about in Pom Poko, for one example that caught a lot of people off guard. And Princess Mononoke blew the minds of the uninitiated -- decapitations, disarming (literally), a girl sucking blood out of a bullet wound, a giant boar with gore dangling under its belly and coughing up copious amounts of blood, and giant wolf attacking numerous humans with its disembodied bloodied head. Princess Mononoke was nothing like anything Disney ever released before and yet it bore the Disney label. I don't know if Walt would have ever gone for that, but the Disney of today isn't the Disney of our childhoods.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Lashen

• Vampire Hunter
  • ..."Nunchakus."
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2012, 08:26:30 PM »
Should I witness Prince Xizor—as told by Disney/Pixar—no one will be safe.
(click to show/hide)

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2012, 08:24:31 AM »
No Prince Xizor, no Thrawn; the next movie(s) will feature a completely original story that's not tied to any Expanded Universe novels/characters:

http://m.superherohype.com/news/articles/173435-the-new-star-wars-trilogy-will-an-original-story

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2012, 08:30:47 AM »
So is it going to be another continuity reboot?
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2012, 09:57:30 AM »
Disney isn't all kid-friendly. One of the biggest steps toward notoriety Disney made in recent years (aside from the legacy of Tron and Black Hole) is when they picked up distribution rights from Studio Ghibli

And don't forget all those classic black & White cartoons like the Skeleton Dance. People today might find it a bit morbid but I thought it was funny. And you also have that one Mickey Mouse cartoon that has Pluto dog-napped by some mad scientist who looks like Rasputin and Mickey has to go through his castle of torture to save him, but ends up being tied down to a self-mobile surgical bed awaiting his very own dissection.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2012, 10:12:27 AM »
Disney isn't all kid-friendly. One of the biggest steps toward notoriety Disney made in recent years (aside from the legacy of Tron and Black Hole) is when they picked up distribution rights from Studio Ghibli. For Disney to accept a contract that stipulates they cannot edit Studio Ghibli's films beyond synching lips was a big step away from what people normally consider Disney kitsch: Tanuki flailing their testicles about in Pom Poko, for one example that caught a lot of people off guard. And Princess Mononoke blew the minds of the uninitiated -- decapitations, disarming (literally), a girl sucking blood out of a bullet wound, a giant boar with gore dangling under its belly and coughing up copious amounts of blood, and giant wolf attacking numerous humans with its disembodied bloodied head. Princess Mononoke was nothing like anything Disney ever released before and yet it bore the Disney label. I don't know if Walt would have ever gone for that, but the Disney of today isn't the Disney of our childhoods.

Disney have dropped the ball in regard to less kid-friendly Ghibli films, however. They don't have Grave of the Fireflies and I believe they allowed their rights to Mononoke to expire, and it looks like other films they're licensing to other distributors; From Up on Poppy Hill will be brought to DVD/Blu-ray by GKIDS, who also hold theatrical distribution rights to a lot of Ghibli films. (They're actually doing a two-week Ghibli marathon here soon, 35mm prints and mostly subbed. Definitely gonna hit up some favorites and ones I haven't seen, like Pom Poko and Only Yesterday.)
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2012, 01:24:36 PM »
Hokiest, shattiest special effects ever. I hope no one ever attempts that again.

Indeed.

Only good example of this I can think of CGI youthfulness is Patrick Stewart in X-Men Origins: Wolverine. And that hardly counts because this is Patrick Stewart we're talking about.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2012, 01:35:35 PM »
+1
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2012, 01:42:02 PM »
+1
I bet he wears those glasses only to create the illusion that time somehow affects him.

Offline TheCruelAngel

• Sportin' Boxes since 1998
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2012, 02:25:49 PM »
While it's a little sad to see the expanded universe is going to be ignored (though I never really believed they would be used anyway), I think a trilogy set in a farther future than the original trilogy could be kind of cool and definitely would allow for a lot of neat mechanical designs. Without regard to looking "too futuristic" like in the prequel I hope they let their imaginations run wild and we get some really memorable and forward thinking designs.

Offline Lashen

• Vampire Hunter
  • ..."Nunchakus."
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2012, 10:05:49 PM »
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 10:07:23 PM by Lashen »
(click to show/hide)

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2012, 01:19:51 AM »

What a dapper man.

http://picardpervert.ytmnd.com/

The love of archaeology & history and affinity for outdated tech like paper books, slight Scottish twang to the speech even though he's supposedly of French origin. It all makes sense now, Picard is the Highlander!

Or, well, one of them anyway.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 01:21:40 AM by Ratty »

Tags:

anything