Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What's your phobia? (also unofficial Mighty Max thread)  (Read 19043 times)

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2013, 04:16:38 AM »
But at the same time if I were to see a flick that had a woman webbed up and a giant spider came down on her and started mating then I'd feel pretty turned on... :-[ :-[ :-[
For some reason this seemed like a prudent opportunity to give a +1.

Offline Laina

• F.A.N.G. stands for “fucking awful, not great”, babe - me to UZO on SFV
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • 大丈夫だよ!
  • Awards Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace. Seeks to keep games/fandoms free of any changes they deem Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2013, 04:32:02 AM »
This topic has reminded me of a Mighty Max cartoon episode. I only remember certain parts, most of them vaguely save one, but the gist is there was a giant, furry tarantula like spider in the episode that the bad guy was controlling. Some shit went down, Max won of course & they were escaping a collapsing temple or something. On the way out they pass by the spider trapped under some rubble-Max & crew rush past as the spider gives them a look of, "So you're leaving me...I do not wish to die, and am somewhat surprised that one espousing virtue such as yourself would leave me to my fate, but at the same time I expected this. I must accept it with dignity, though I am not at peace...", or at least that's what little Laina got from that glance. I cried...I'm tearing up a little now in fact.

Let me break down my feelings for the spider: it makes me think about when creatures in real life feel like that-fear, terror, being trapped, in immense pain mentally & physically, alone, facing death with no comfort whatsoever. When creatures are in terrible situations like that, when people like Max that are supposed to be heroes, people in positions of power who willingly refuse to try save everyone, or if they're truly not able to & they don't even acknowledge the tragedy of that fact. It was more than upsetting to think the heroes aren't always like Jesus; that they don't always forgive, save & then welcome the bad guy with open arms if he's willing to come over. It made me realize that there is no safety net, nothing is guaranteed & that life isn't sacred to all. It made me realize that there is true, profound, unending darkness in this world. That was horrifying to me at the time...and that's what that spider represented to 8 year old me-horror. That spider was an avatar of horror. *sigh* I need a shower...

This goes deeper & as I've grown, I've began to see some positive sides to this revelation from childhood on how the world works, but I've written a book up there. Honestly, I sometimes believe I could write a thesis paper on this. But this is the CVD & we ain't got time for that crazy mess! This is a place to relax & forget real life for a few moments as we smile & giggle at Gunlord's signature prunyuu~'s, tales & pictures of people's kitties, and MooningFreddy sparking political/philosophical debates. That's right, this place serves an actual helpful purpose-who'da thunk it?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 05:12:53 AM by Laina »
Groove is in the heart.

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2013, 10:12:00 AM »
A few Mighty Max spoilers (but still kinda relevant to the topic) while we're on the topic of MM!

(click to show/hide)

I remember that one zombie episode, where they're irrevocably drawn to the hat. In fact, I distinctly remember that Max's father was the hat-bearer until that incident.
12/1/12: Nominated for my 1st award! Thanks to all :D

Offline Laina

• RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • 大丈夫だよ!
  • Awards Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace. Seeks to keep games/fandoms free of any changes they deem Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2013, 01:42:34 PM »
A few Mighty Max spoilers (but still kinda relevant to the topic) while we're on the topic of MM!

(click to show/hide)

I remember that one zombie episode, where they're irrevocably drawn to the hat. In fact, I distinctly remember that Max's father was the hat-bearer until that incident.

I REMEMBER THOSE SPOILER EPISODES. This was after the spider for me, so I was pretty jaded to it all by then, but part of me still thought, "Okay, that's GOTTA be as dark as this show gets."...no, no you tiny little fool, it wasn't. The Monkey King...the Monkey King... *sobs into a pillow*

I feel like we should be in a sort of group therapy session where we help each other to work through the "bad feelings" MM gave us as kids. Like, Robin Williams is there telling us, "It's not your fault. It's not your fault. It's not your fault."

Back on topic-the dark. It fascinates & frightens me.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 04:45:13 PM by Laina »
Groove is in the heart.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2013, 07:33:34 PM »
I am afraid to stare straight down to the ground from the top floor of a high rise building. My head feels like swimming in goo.
But when I was younger I had no problem with it...

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2013, 11:25:00 PM »
Mighty Max didn't give me bad feelings. I loved that show. .... I didn't make it very far into it because I never woke up in time or had fucking horseback riding lessons while it was on (parents didn't care that I was too busy watching cartoons for horseback riding lessons).

Now you make me want to watch the series even more. I just loved the show because it had Richard Moll. I was a HUGE (no pun intended) Richard Moll fan as a kid. The only reason I could stand that show Shake, Rattle & Roll.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Lashen

• Vampire Hunter
  • ..."Nunchakus."
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2013, 09:25:11 AM »
I'm actually so much of a Mighty Max fan that I somewhat-proudly own the awful SNES game. :-X

Where's MY Norman, Virgil, and chosen one cap?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 09:38:59 AM by Lashen »
(click to show/hide)

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2013, 02:14:19 PM »
+2
THIS IS NOW A MIGHTY MAX THREAD

MM had pretty dark stories as the series progressed, it went from typical Saturday "defeat the villain save the day" episodes, to more morbid, dark material, with the apparent death of the main leads & all at the series' climax. Pretty radical for a show aimed at young kids, and what originally started as a toy line. Although I don't think I or anyone here is required to use spoiler tags for a 20-year-old cartoon series  ;D

b-but the series finale was very bizarre i recall, with the whole "i must reset time so none of this ever happened" plot device, thus putting the entire series in a time-loop (i think there just had to be another way of defeating Skullmaster; Max's decision to revert the entire space-time continuum for the sake of victory was a bit drastic, don't ya think? lol but i realize it was an "in-the-moment" decision so he really had no time to think things through, just that it would stop Skullmaster)

and yeah Norman's fear of spiders was pretty cool i thought, cuz here's a guy that's essentially immortal, has been mistaken for various gods throughout the centuries (Thor, etc.), has fought in countless battles & thousands of demons and entities, yet his only single fear in the entire universe is spiders. that's pretty fucking hilarious if you think about it. i may be paraphrasing but i believe he explained it like "i don't know what it is about them. th-they, they just frighten me!"

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Re: What's your phobia? (Also unofficial Mighty Max thread.)
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2013, 05:21:21 PM »
"Why did it have to be follow spiders? Why couldn't it be follow the butterflies?" -Ron Weasly

speaks for itself.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Laina

• RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • 大丈夫だよ!
    • Awards
Re: What's your phobia? (Also unofficial Mighty Max thread.)
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2013, 06:06:02 PM »
I remember being drawn to it after hearing the voice of Max for the first time-"OMG, it's Raphael from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!". My kid brain equated a show's level of awesome with the voice actors chosen for it; in this case, it didn't do such a bad job.
Groove is in the heart.

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
Re: What's your phobia? (also unofficial Mighty Max thread)
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2013, 11:08:07 PM »
Richard Moll

Just him being in it made it the most fucking epic cartoon ever. Norman all the way baby!

My biggest fear is the entertainment industry losing Richard Moll.  :-X
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline TheCruelAngel

• Sportin' Boxes since 1998
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2013, 08:24:00 AM »
As a kid growing up, I was always partial to characters voiced by Cam Clarke

Max Sterling from Robotech, Leonardo from TMNT, Kaneda from Akira, Liquid Snake from Metal Gear Solid, etc.

So I can understand the feeling of recognizing a voice and basing something's awesomeness on it. My fear is Cam Clarke being forgotten through time.  :'(

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2013, 09:40:17 AM »
+1
and yeah Norman's fear of spiders was pretty cool i thought, cuz here's a guy that's essentially immortal, has been mistaken for various gods throughout the centuries (Thor, etc.)

Last time I checked Norman IS those various gods. Well half-gods actually. He was once Hercules in that one episode were he had to fight that man lion in order for the Gods to grant him another 10,000 years of life. And he was Thor in the episode with the Doom Dragon and even said that while he was Thor he fought and defeated the Doom Dragon the first time. Even the Dragon itself recognized Norman as Thor. But I had to like the little reunion speech the two had before they fought again;

Doom D: What do they call you now thunderer?

Norman: They call me..!

*Lightning strikes*

Norman: ..Norman.

LOL!
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Laina

• RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • 大丈夫だよ!
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2013, 09:57:52 AM »
As a kid growing up, I was always partial to characters voiced by Cam Clarke

Max Sterling from Robotech, Leonardo from TMNT, Kaneda from Akira, Liquid Snake from Metal Gear Solid, etc.

So I can understand the feeling of recognizing a voice and basing something's awesomeness on it. My fear is Cam Clarke being forgotten through time.  :'(
Last time I checked Norman IS those various gods. Well half-gods actually. He was once Hercules in that one episode were he had to fight that man lion in order for the Gods to grant him another 10,000 years of life. And he was Thor in the episode with the Doom Dragon and even said that while he was Thor he fought and defeated the Doom Dragon the first time. Even the Dragon itself recognized Norman as Thor. But I had to like the little reunion speech the two had before they fought again;

Doom D: What do they call you now thunderer?

Norman: They call me..!

*Lightning strikes*

Norman: ..Norman.

LOL!
Richard Moll

Just him being in it made it the most fucking epic cartoon ever. Norman all the way baby!

My biggest fear is the entertainment industry losing Richard Moll.  :-X

These things. All of these things.

I also fear water. I think more so than the dark, but slightly less than spiders. Spiders that walk on water are pretty much my Silent Hill.
Groove is in the heart.

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2013, 04:00:20 PM »
+1

b-but the series finale was very bizarre i recall, with the whole "i must reset time so none of this ever happened" plot device, thus putting the entire series in a time-loop (i think there just had to be another way of defeating Skullmaster; Max's decision to revert the entire space-time continuum for the sake of victory was a bit drastic, don't ya think? lol but i realize it was an "in-the-moment" decision so he really had no time to think things through, just that it would stop Skullmaster)

I distinctly remember he is able to remember everything, but only when he sees the hat. He goes through his first day back in deja-vu. However, once he reads the note it all comes back to him. He promises that he'll do everything right this time, so this probably avoids the time-loop.

Also:

Mighty Max Episode 01: A Bellwether in One's Cap Part 1 of 2

:D
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 04:02:11 PM by Phoenix7786 »
12/1/12: Nominated for my 1st award! Thanks to all :D

Tags: fear fears phobia phobias