Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What's your phobia? (also unofficial Mighty Max thread)  (Read 19054 times)

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
Re: What's your phobia? (also unofficial Mighty Max thread)
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2013, 09:42:54 AM »
Kinda late but to prove how awesome Norman was, I somehow managed to find this as one of the last remaining toys from my childhood

he truly IS immortal!

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2013, 10:35:35 AM »
I had that same exact model. I was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO pissed he couldn't draw his sword. Fuck, at least Max had a sling-shot in many of the various molds' hands.
Somewhat poetically, Norman met his end at the maw of our black Labrador, Sable.
12/1/12: Nominated for my 1st award! Thanks to all :D

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2013, 11:02:36 AM »
I also fear water. I think more so than the dark, but slightly less than spiders. Spiders that walk on water are pretty much my Silent Hill.

I also have this fear of water too. Although not 'water' per se but the idea of going to swim in water or just even encrouching into areas of the deepest parts of water sends this jolt of fear up my spine. The only conclusion that i can draw on for this was my drowning in a past life so this fear is probably cell-memory induced.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2013, 04:47:16 PM »
A phobia?
I guess I'm afraid of highs, and of speed.

Then again, I guess it's usual for girls to be afraid of speed :)
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2013, 08:28:46 PM »
I might be too late for the Mighty Max discussion but I want to add in my few cents. I recall the commercials with guys singing some MM theme song. I recall as a kid I got some dragon head island set which was super cool. I also recall a few creepy sets that even as a kid I thought they were kind of creepy. However, they were still cool. I also recall mini versions of the already small sets. I think I also recall I believe some McDonalds happy meal toy having to do with MM. Good times. 

Offline Laina

• F.A.N.G. stands for “fucking awful, not great”, babe - me to UZO on SFV
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • 大丈夫だよ!
  • Awards Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace. Seeks to keep games/fandoms free of any changes they deem Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2013, 09:04:48 PM »
I also have this fear of water too. Although not 'water' per se but the idea of going to swim in water or just even encrouching into areas of the deepest parts of water sends this jolt of fear up my spine. The only conclusion that i can draw on for this was my drowning in a past life so this fear is probably cell-memory induced.

I feel you. Let me elaborate on my fear of water a little more.

I refuse to take baths, EVER, for fear that I'll fall trying to stand, bang my head & drown in my own filth water...showers are a little unnerving, but of course they still happen. I get bothered driving by lakes or over bridges. There're some marshlands near where an old acquaintance lived & I couldn't help but be overcome with thoughts of drowning in murky water every time I drove by. I can tolerate pristine, clear pool water for short periods of time & if there are enough people around that I know for a fact are excellent swimmers. I never, ever under any circumstances go past the 3-4 foot mark; partly because I'm crazy, partly because I can't swim. Murky water is my downfall, period.
Groove is in the heart.

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2013, 01:33:10 PM »
I was swimming in a lake over in Eastern Washington. It was murky like all lakes. It even had crawdads. (Ugly little fuckers.) But the crawdads obeyed the swimming zone cordoned areas. However one day I was out swimming. I dove down to the bottom of the lake (in the shallow swimming area) and on my way back to the surface I saw a fish swim under me. It scared the fucking piss out of me. I don't believe in segregation, but fishes need to stay the fuck out of my swimming area!

That said, at Martha Lake near Lynnwood,WA there was always fish. Baby fish. They'd swim up and nibble on your toes if you were quiet enough. They got bigger the further otu you went. I never minded those fish. In fact I used to catch the babies in a cup all the time (and then release them). At some point in my life I developed a fear of fish, though, and even thoguh I like looking at them I can't stand to touch them or be touched by them anymore. So no more fish-catching days.

But no, no. My biggest fear as far as water is concerned is tied:  fear of lake grass (dunno what it's called but I am fucking TERRIFIED of it), and fear of water spanning beyond my visibility. You know what I'm talking about. Not just looking down into the murky depths (oh god that's scary), but also looking straight ahead. Even near the surface of the water, at some point there' no visibility. Anything that swims toward you from beyond that veil of refracted light appears as a dark, obscure shadow and grows bigger as it draws nearer and nearer.

And nearer.

And nearer.

And nearer.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 01:36:33 PM by TheouAegis »
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline TheouAegis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2013, 06:37:13 PM »
Somewhere in the world, it's raining spiders right now.

http://gawker.com/5982891/meanwhile-in-brazil-its-raining-spiders

Offline Laina

• RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • 大丈夫だよ!
  • Awards Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace. Seeks to keep games/fandoms free of any changes they deem Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2013, 10:04:48 PM »

Hm, I see...so were there those Silent Hill warning sirens before this nightmare made reality came, or was it just sorta sprung on them like when the hero in a zombie movie wakes up in the hospital after a month long coma to be greeted by a hellscape? Either way, if you'll excuse me; I have to go surround myself in a blazing curtain of fire now. It's nature's remedy to spider rain don'tchya know.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 10:09:45 PM by Laina »
Groove is in the heart.

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2013, 05:11:02 PM »
like when the hero in a zombie movie wakes up in the hospital after a month long coma to be greeted by a hellscape?

Just finished season 2 of that. I'm debating to drop the 26 bones on season 3 DVD or 16 bones for an Amazon digital copy.
12/1/12: Nominated for my 1st award! Thanks to all :D

Offline Laina

• RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • 大丈夫だよ!
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2013, 07:20:24 PM »
+1
Just finished season 2 of that. I'm debating to drop the 26 bones on season 3 DVD or 16 bones for an Amazon digital copy.

Do it. Either one, doesn't matter, just get it. What's that? Why yes, I am a bit of a fan.
Groove is in the heart.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2013, 07:34:55 PM »

Oh boy I know how it feels to have spiders raining down on you.
When I was young, I did not check that the shower head has a spider's nest. I opened the water, and voila! lots of baby spiders rained down on me! I hated those bugs ever since.

Lone Wolf

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2013, 07:39:29 PM »
I used to have fear of dark when i was a kid. I feared that somethig could live inside it, so i kept back for a long time. I even had nightmares with this in my childhood. But now, it seems kinda different. Now i think about it, it seems like i never understood the beauty of the unknown, the wonders...
When i look at the dark now, it seems so beautiful... The night, the full moon, the shades.... Seems wonderful, and mysterious, kinda beautiful to see.... I never attempted to understand how darkness was so beautiful, but now i get it, it's wonderful... And it makes me so happy! :3
Btw, things are a bit different nowadays... I still have some fear of snails, worms, and even maggots. I just hate it! It's so disgusting to me, i just can't live with that. And it's kinda weird, specially when i'm playing some games with enemies like these. I always kill them in games! It seems weird and hard to understand, but what can i say? xD

Whaat?! Man... How could it just happen here?? O_O
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 07:47:28 PM by Lone Wolf »

Offline TheouAegis

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2013, 09:18:54 PM »
Just finished rewatching season 1 of Mighty Max. All this talk about it. I missed Norman so much. And OMG all the jokes in it make so much more sense now that I'm older. "Your thorough knowledge of the Beowulf saga is proof that our beleaguered educational system is still doing a fine job." When I think about it, I vaguely remember scenes from different episodes, but I can barely remember anything about the show. I remember the Atlantis zombies and Ravendark the most of anything. The rest of the series I pretty much forgot about. One of these days I might have a TMNT marathon with my buddy.

But watching Mighty Max again made me think just how crappy cartoons these days are. The Saturday morning cartoons when we were growing up were so much different than the 4Kids shit out there now. X-Men. Spidermam (fuck yeah Venom and Carnage!). Batman:TAS. Sonic SatAM. Mighty Max. GI Joe. M.A.S.K. Transformers. There were some pretty dystopic non-Japanese cartoons on public TV for kids to watch. And then after school we had political and social satires like Tiny Toon Adventures and Animaniacs. I don't even turn on the TV these days. Even in college I rarely actually watched TV. The only times I could remember watching the clock and trying to tune it at any specific time was for Dragonball GT (raw), Megas XLR, and a couple other Cartoon Network shows that my mind just now blanked out on because my phone dinged at me.

Offline Laina

• RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • 大丈夫だよ!
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2013, 08:36:43 AM »
+1
Oh boy I know how it feels to have spiders raining down on you.
When I was young, I did not check that the shower head has a spider's nest. I opened the water, and voila! lots of baby spiders rained down on me! I hated those bugs ever since.

Oh...my...holy...GOD. I would have died then & there. You're like an immortal or something, aren't you? That's the only way one could have survived that sort of an onslaught.
Groove is in the heart.

Tags: fear fears phobia phobias