Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Anime vs Real Life.....  (Read 21498 times)

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2013, 04:29:47 AM »
...and there was outlaw star but man I can barely remember that

For shame.
Toonami Outlaw Star Promo

I also liked Toonami's other tagline for the series "Wild West... Y2K style!"
It's just a pity that there was no second season or release of the rest of the manga series. Ctrl-Ctrl Empire forever!

PS- I expect the main reason I can't enjoy Gundam Wing like I did back in the day is that a show about a bunch of 11 year olds saving the earth via giant robots is really exciting as long as you are around that age yourself. Zechs always was my favorite though.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 04:38:36 AM by Ratty »

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2013, 06:16:30 AM »
+1
The original Gundams with Amuro will always be the best. Char Aznable is my fave!
Wing for me was political
After war gundam X, i hate this show
Seed and Destiny were into too much character drama
00 was more political and they killed the character I liked at the end of the first season, so it was a downer
I did not follow through the rest of the more recent gundams.

As for non- mecha animes,
I liked Blood+
Sword art online ( just continue the story on the fan translated light novels somewhere in the web)
Rurouni kenshin until the shishio arc

I prefer the manga versions of
Magic knight rayearth and all the works of Clamp until card captor sakura, anything after i consider so-so.
Black butler
Trinity blood
Rave
 So far those are what i can think of.

Offline TheCruelAngel

• Sportin' Boxes since 1998
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2013, 09:03:55 AM »
For Gundam, I really do recommend all of the Universal Century (MSG, Zeta, Double Zeta, 0080, 0083, F91, Char's Counter Attack, Victory, 08th MS Team, IGLOO, etc.) fantastic story with an amazing universe. IMO, definitely worth everyone's time.

Though for AU (alternate universe) Gundam titles, I think my most recommended is Turn A Gundam. The designs were done by Syd Mead (Bladerunner, Alien, etc.) with the direction of Yoshiyuki Tomino (original Gundam creator and responsible for most of UC). It's kind of like Gundam meets Ghibli, and most of my friends that I had watch it, really enjoyed it.

Bubblegum Crisis is a battle suits anime, not mecha. There's a difference. And it will always be one of the best ever made. Killer soundtrack, too.

So then these don't count for mecha?

;D Though the hardsuits are definitely battle suits. And agreed, that soundtrack is killer.

Some of the people I know suggest Code Geass, but I haven't watched it.

Well, if you like CLAMP, Gundam or Death Note, then I think you'd probably enjoy Code Geass. S1 is definitely better than S2 (just like 00!) but it's worth an entire watch through.

Though you really don't like Gundam X? Even after watching the original MSG? I thought it was a lot stronger than Wing, even in the shorter time span it was allotted. But then again, I also think Destiny is the weakest in the entire Gundam metaverse. ;D I hate that one (though I think the Destiny Gundam's design is sweet). So I suppose to each their own.

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2013, 06:37:18 PM »
Nope, still call those battle suits.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2013, 02:00:36 AM »
Well, if you like CLAMP, Gundam or Death Note, then I think you'd probably enjoy Code Geass. S1 is definitely better than S2 (just like 00!) but it's worth an entire watch through.

Though you really don't like Gundam X? Even after watching the original MSG? I thought it was a lot stronger than Wing, even in the shorter time span it was allotted. But then again, I also think Destiny is the weakest in the entire Gundam metaverse. ;D I hate that one (though I think the Destiny Gundam's design is sweet). So I suppose to each their own.

Oh thanks for the info on Code Geass.
As for X, most likely the dubbing killed my appetite for the show. I'll watch it again in Japanese, perhaps I would change my mind.
I agree on Destiny as the weakest. I think there was some sort of fight behind the scenes causing the bad writing, to my dismay. The special edition dvds are a better option than sitting through the problematic hit-or-miss 52 episodes.

Offline TheCruelAngel

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2013, 08:21:34 AM »
Nope, still call those battle suits.
Well if you call this a battle suit too, then at least you're consistent.

Though I still politely disagree.  ;)

Oh thanks for the info on Code Geass.
As for X, most likely the dubbing killed my appetite for the show. I'll watch it again in Japanese, perhaps I would change my mind.
I agree on Destiny as the weakest. I think there was some sort of fight behind the scenes causing the bad writing, to my dismay. The special edition dvds are a better option than sitting through the problematic hit-or-miss 52 episodes.

I couldn't really get into the X TV series, I enjoyed the movie OK, but the manga is by far the best way to enjoy it (even if it's on permanent hiatus).
As for Destiny...yeah, one watch through was enough for me. Stargazer on the other hand, is worth multiple watch throughs.  ;D

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2013, 01:20:16 AM »
I couldn't really get into the X TV series, I enjoyed the movie OK, but the manga is by far the best way to enjoy it (even if it's on permanent hiatus).
As for Destiny...yeah, one watch through was enough for me. Stargazer on the other hand, is worth multiple watch throughs.  ;D

I was pertaining to Gundam X.
But yeah, X of Clamp is only good in the manga.
Stargazer is good.  :)

Offline TheCruelAngel

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2013, 08:14:10 AM »
Wait...there's a dub for Gundam X? D: I don't think anyone could really pull off Garrod's "TIFAAAAAA" like his original VA. :X It would just feel...weird.

Also, how is Newtype, Satellite Beam Cannons and post-apocalypse scenario not a recipe for awesome? :D I think it's a shame it didn't get the full run it deserved. =\

Also, dat asymmetry.  :o

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2013, 01:16:15 AM »
Wait...there's a dub for Gundam X? D: I don't think anyone could really pull off Garrod's "TIFAAAAAA" like his original VA. :X It would just feel...weird.

Also, how is Newtype, Satellite Beam Cannons and post-apocalypse scenario not a recipe for awesome? :D I think it's a shame it didn't get the full run it deserved. =\

Perhaps, not may people like it, which is usually the case why they would stop the run, since we know for a fact that Sunrise has the money. (Other animes might not get the full run due to money problems.)

Offline TheCruelAngel

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2013, 08:16:20 AM »
Perhaps, not may people like it, which is usually the case why they would stop the run, since we know for a fact that Sunrise has the money. (Other animes might not get the full run due to money problems.)

Coming from 4chan's /m/ (yeah yeah) we're actually pretty big fans of Gundam X. Some of the reasoning I've heard for it's early demise was that it just wasn't doing well in the ratings, something akin to "TOO MUCH GUNDAM, NOT ENOUGH DUO". The original Gundam was also canceled early.

So, I think it may be worth your while to check it out again, especially since you also enjoy UC and all the Amuro and Char goodness. :D

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2013, 12:46:40 AM »
I'd check it out again when I am done with the novel translation, plus all the university requirements...

Is anyone here a fan of Studio Ghibli films?

Offline TheCruelAngel

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2013, 08:12:04 AM »
Is anyone here not a fan of Studio Ghibli films?

Fix'd

My favorite Ghibli films are Naussicaa of the Valley of the Wind and Castle of Cagliostro.  ;D

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2013, 05:43:10 PM »
I'd check it out again when I am done with the novel translation, plus all the university requirements...

Is anyone here a fan of Studio Ghibli films?

Castle in the sky all day, and howl's moving castle
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2013, 09:04:09 PM »
I also liked all of the ghibli films that you mentioned.
Spirited away was also good.

The worst one for me was Tales from Earthsea. It totally changed what was in the books.

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2013, 12:08:53 PM »
Well how much of that was Miyazaki's son's fault? I'm not sure how much of a role he played in that. A lot of hate for his feature film debut.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Tags: