Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: I Am Colossus  (Read 2521 times)

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« on: January 25, 2014, 03:01:28 PM »
I've had the pleasure of seeing these maniacs live a few times. Great music, great art.

If this isn't too abrasive for your ears, I suggest checking this video out. It's haunting!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTYXbFsWg-M

BTW.. The band is Meshuggah!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 03:05:20 PM by Jeffrey Montoya »
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 11:24:43 PM »
Interesting art. Very macabre. You can see the effort put into it.
Can't say I really like Meshuggah. Not my piece of cake. Also don't think sludge metal or however you want to call that style really fits the video. I'd go for industrial metal, doom metal or at least something more technical and complex rather than Meshuggah's sawing riffs accompanied by growls.
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 10:36:26 AM »
Meshuggah is most definitely an acquired taste. They are certainly not sludge metal though. Their style is commonly referred to as math metal because of the sophisticated, overlapping different time signatures. Their music is considered some of the most technical and complex out there.

This song is on the slow slide, and perhaps could be considered sludge, but that's just the music fitting what the song is about it. It's about a giant stomping around. I think it fits.

Here's a good example of some faster paced Meshuggah songs.

Meshuggah- Corridor of Chameleons

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 12:18:03 PM »
I see what you find in this. The technical aspect of the playing is more prominent in that song. But I still can't help but be annoyed by those repetitive sawing riffs Meshuggah uses, I believe they are called "djent", whatever.
I know that many metalcore bands are using that kind of shredding as well, and when used in a small part of a song, it may fit, but when that du-du-du-du...du-du-du-du...du-du-du-du sound continues through an entire song this tends to bore me as hell.

I'd rather listen to groove metal, groove metal is at least trying to be... You know, groovy.  :P

BETZEFER - "The Devil Went Down To The Holy Land" (OFFICIAL VIDEO)
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 12:52:51 PM »
Best piece of music Fredrik Thordendal ever did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6kXLkJA6g0
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 01:05:07 PM »
Hell yeah man. Thorndendal solo stuff is great.

Check this Meshuggah song out he did if you liked that album. It's his vocals. I think he mostly did it by himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e3OuUyKvbg

Tags: