Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: People messing with the respect points  (Read 28784 times)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: People messing with the respect points
« Reply #105 on: September 05, 2013, 09:42:53 AM »
There's a reason the nickname "GeoShitties" rings so well. What do you mean better now though? Last I heard a few years ago Yahoo shut down geocities entirely so that now such pages only exist in archives.

I was unaware of geocities being deactivated. Thanks for letting me know 'the morning sun has vanquished the horrible night'  :D
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #106 on: September 05, 2013, 01:42:39 PM »
Like the new system better. ;)

Only thing I would change is the ability to see who upvoted or downvoted you which I have been opposed to from the get go.

People will still call people out over the "downvoting" even though it does not reflect in their point system anymore.

But other than that, a step in the right direction at curbing some of the people who get butthurt over this kind of thing. :P
I don't get butthurt. I am all respect and I ask the same thing from the other party.
A positive vote doesn't require an explanation, it's a virtual way of saying "I agree". But a negative vote requires it.
Negative voting without explaining is just trolling, especially when you do it periodically, and I was really tired about one particular user who did it all the time, especially when this last time he did it with two accounts.
It didn't show because they were many users also upvoting, but everyday I had to see ths user voting negative even in the most trivial things.
If he didn't like me, why isn't he a man and say it? That stupid thing of throwing the rock and hiding the hand irritates me.
I don't care about the points more than I care about the score of the game when I play some old game with points.
I liked the system in theory, but with assholes using it, it fails, just like any other system. Just look at most politics...
We are better now, and we'd fair even better without anything, just words.
That, the negative button suppressed, or, how someone said, having the forum require an explanation when you downvote.
I will keep upvoting posts I like. I did it since the day I joined, and you couldn't see who voted in that times.
But putting again the veil so we can't see who votes negatively will just encourage trolls to do their immature stupid thing again.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #107 on: September 05, 2013, 10:07:28 PM »
+1
I don't really get why a downvote should require an explanation if an upvote is okey-dokey. One could say, "Well, the upvote should require an explanation because otherwise it just looks like brown-nosing."

And what would prevent a troll from putting "because" as the reason for downvoting? Or simply putting in a single key. Would we then need a mod to look over and approve all downvotes before allowing them to go through?
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #108 on: September 05, 2013, 11:44:39 PM »
Put the old system back on, give users the choice to not use it. So, if you're touchy about the points, you can turn the point system off. Those who like the Silly Game, keep it on. Isn't that how some/most forum games work, anyway?

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #109 on: September 06, 2013, 01:04:45 AM »
^^
I can support that. I maybe the only one but I actually like the points.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #110 on: September 06, 2013, 03:10:35 AM »
I like points too.

But wouldn't it be difficult to edit the programming?
I have 0 knowledge of programming so forgive me if it is easy.

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #111 on: September 06, 2013, 03:19:29 AM »
Maybe. Probably. Just throwing that idea out in the open.

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #112 on: September 06, 2013, 12:51:38 PM »
No, I like the points too, both giving and receiving.
I still upvot posts I like, anyway.
The problem wasn't about the points themselves.

But I've been thinking... If a person wants to be an asshole, maybe there's no fool-proof system.
We can go around always with respect and peace, but there's always going to be an asshole at some point.
I just wanted to be polite not using the ignore function, but in the end it was the only way.

And I would have avoided this inconvenience for everyone.
I am sorry that I am so sensitive, I feel guilty now.
I am feeling that people lost something they liked because of me.
My sincere apologies to everyone.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
« Reply #113 on: September 06, 2013, 01:16:21 PM »
+1
I don't really get why a downvote should require an explanation if an upvote is okey-dokey. One could say, "Well, the upvote should require an explanation because otherwise it just looks like brown-nosing."

And what would prevent a troll from putting "because" as the reason for downvoting? Or simply putting in a single key. Would we then need a mod to look over and approve all downvotes before allowing them to go through?

well said.

If a downvote warrants a "explaination" then why not a upvote?

Not getting the logic behind that.

If its ok for someone to give a upvote simply because they like and agree with a post then there is nothing wrong with giving a downvote because you dislike or do not agree with a another post.

No explanation should be required, that does not make them a asshole or a troll simply because they gave you a downvote.

Everyone on this board do not agree on everything, and for those who use the system a downvote can be given out because of differing views, not because they have a personal problem or want to be a asshole and troll someone.

I just think some people are to freaken sensitive when it comes to this system.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 01:19:21 PM by DarkPrinceAlucard »

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #114 on: September 06, 2013, 01:49:20 PM »
Creating a duplicate account to downvote many posts twice, even old posts, to me it sounds like an asshole and a troll.
If you don't understand what I'm talking about please refer to the first message on this thread.

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
« Reply #115 on: September 06, 2013, 02:08:14 PM »
Creating a duplicate account to downvote many posts twice, even old posts, to me it sounds like an asshole and a troll.
If you don't understand what I'm talking about please refer to the first message on this thread.

No your the one not understanding me.

Where in my post did I say that creating a duplicate account and downvoting older posts do not make them a asshole?

I only said that giving a downvote in general to someone does not automatically make someone a asshole or a troll.

They could simply just disagree with that post.

In your post below you said that a downvote warrants a explanation otherwise they are just trolling and or a asshole.

A positive vote doesn't require an explanation, it's a virtual way of saying "I agree". But a negative vote requires it.
Negative voting without explaining is just trolling,

I pointed out that is not the case.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 02:14:42 PM by DarkPrinceAlucard »

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #116 on: September 06, 2013, 02:52:31 PM »
No, I understand you, and please don't take this as hostility or an argument. I just want to be clear and sometimes english gets in my way.

No your the one not understanding me.
Where in my post did I say that creating a duplicate account and downvoting older posts do not make them a asshole?
I only said that giving a downvote in general to someone does not automatically make someone a asshole or a troll.
They could simply just disagree with that post.
In your post below you said that a downvote warrants a explanation otherwise they are just trolling and or a asshole.
Yes, because there's this user I can't name because it's against the rules, who just used to downvote everything I said in a page, even if it was a trivial message like "Cool!", or just go 40 pages back in my messages log to downvote 10 or 20 messages.
And the same happened to Ahasverus like 10 days ago, where someone downvoted 130 posts of him in 1 hour.

I am OK with a downvote followed by an explanation. Generally, upvoting implicates "I agree", while downvoting can't simply be just "I don't agree". Agreeing is thinking the same. Disagreeing can be because a lot of reasons.

But more than that, I am OK and very opened to polite and respectful discussion. I even did that with Sumac a little after I joined, and our opinions were so, so different.

So, I'd like to separate things. Downvotes can exist for regular users that use them as a function. I personally believe they require an explanation. Not everyone thinks so.
Downvoting doesn't make someone an asshole.
Massive downvoting and duplicate accounts DOES make anyone who does that an asshole.

Anyway, I believe that, in the end, we are here to talk, not to gain or give points. That's just a fun factor added to the formula. I didn't join because of that, and I will continue to post if that system's gone.
But I was really annoyed by that user, my patience is high, but I have a limit.
Even more, I don't even know what I ever did to him that he needed to go downvoting me so often.
And I feel bad because in that thread we were talking for the first time, and I thought that maybe he finally accepted my opinions for what they are and despite the differences he was willing to talk like everyone else.

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #117 on: September 06, 2013, 02:55:12 PM »
(about "A positive vote doesn't require an explanation, it's a virtual way of saying "I agree". But a negative vote requires it. Negative voting without explaining is just trolling").
Let me rephrase, I understand I wasn't clear in my explanation of what I think:
A positive vote doesn't require an explanation, it's a virtual way of saying "I agree". But a negative vote could require it most of the time, in my opinion.
However, MASSIVE negative voting is just trolling.

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #118 on: September 06, 2013, 02:59:13 PM »
And finally, for the 1543rd time...

It wasn't about the points. Why would I care about 10 or 12 points?, I had like 500 points... And why would I want the system out if I cared so much for the points?

It was for the attitude. That silent way of telling me "Hey, I don't like you" without words.
I'm not in high school anymore surrounded by stupid popular girls. I don't want anymore of that. I'm here to have a good time with CV fans and nice people.

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
« Reply #119 on: September 06, 2013, 03:15:37 PM »
snip

You see, that is the thing, I'm not disagreeing with that guy being a troll for doing that to you, there are always going to be jerks who abuse a system.

The problem I felt I needed to address was your post about a explanation needing to be given if someone downvotes you.

And how they are just trolling if one is not given.

My point is how exactly is that any different then someone upvoting you and not giving a explanation?

Why is it ok for someone to give a upvote to someone without a explanation but a downvote requires one?

You said that a upvote is universally used as a "I agree", but wouldn't the same be the case for a downvote as well?

There are other sides to a upvote just like there is to a downvote, Abnormal Freak pointed out one such as a upvote being used as a way to brown nose other members into liking you, you may not even agree with their posts and yet you would feel the need to be on their good side so you upvote.

Now since you seem to be sensitive to this issue let me go on the record and point out I am not referring to you in this above example, only that just like a downvote can be abused by jerks and trolls, a upvote can be abused by brown nosers.

So my over all point is neither should require a explanation, but if you have to ask for a explanation for one then why not the other?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 03:17:10 PM by DarkPrinceAlucard »

Tags: