Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Vampire Hunter D's influence on the series  (Read 17199 times)

Offline XombieMike

• Hunter in Training
  • I'm interested in this
    • Bloodstained Fan Forums
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: Vampire Hunter D's influence on the series
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2017, 10:31:44 AM »
Great thread. I'm a huge fan of both D and CV. I love that Yoshitaka Amano is doing poster art for Bloodstained. To me it's a special tie between Castlevania's legacy and VHD.

That Amon Saga was worth a look. Thanks for the recommendation.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 11:48:41 AM by XombieMike »
XombieMike- DM of the Castlevania Ravenloft RPG
admin at bloodstained.forums.net

Offline gallandryal

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2018, 07:56:53 PM »
D's storyline and background is exactly the same of Alucard's.

Offline Guy Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Master Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2018, 07:54:21 AM »
Also Doris Lang shares her last name with Curtis Lang, who also carry's a whip with him.

And IGA is Wrong, as Toshiki Yamamura  came out and said  that he was pretty influenced by Hideyuki Kikuchi, soooo yeah
there's some more D in there.
Last son of family Belmont.

https://thebelmonthold.home.blog/

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2018, 12:29:06 PM »
And IGA is Wrong, as Toshiki Yamamura  came out and said  that he was pretty influenced by Hideyuki Kikuchi, soooo yeah
there's some more D in there.

IGA never said there wasn't anymore influence. He said the original series (by which I, personally, understand that as meaning "the three first main games") were not inspired by D, but as products came out, some inspiration was had. He revealed Alucard, but it's pretty obvious there's more, such as the one you just mentioned in Bloodlines. It's possible that Sonia was inspired on Doris Lang too, for instance.
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Guy Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Master Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2018, 12:33:42 PM »
IGA never said there wasn't anymore influence. He said the original series (by which I, personally, understand that as meaning "the three first main games") were not inspired by D, but as products came out, some inspiration was had. He revealed Alucard, but it's pretty obvious there's more, such as the one you just mentioned in Bloodlines. It's possible that Sonia was inspired on Doris Lang too, for instance.

Ahh  I took the Original series too mean everything that used the old gameplay before SoTn. As  that was really the rebirth or new series of gameplay. But TBH its ones thing that we'll all never know.

and yeah sonia good one.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 01:39:06 PM by Guy Belmont »
Last son of family Belmont.

https://thebelmonthold.home.blog/

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2018, 10:46:13 PM »

i am super late on this but this might be the single most incorrect statement i've seen on the boards in a long time
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 10:50:04 PM by Dracula9 »

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2018, 05:12:41 PM »

That is a bit of a stretch. They are not exactly the same. Sure, both are Dhampyrs. Both had Dracula as their father and a human woman as their mother. And both feel strongly against the evil they partially represent. But that's.. kinda where the similarities end. I could be missing some other details since they escape me at the moment. And alucard's name -for obvious reasons- came from the movie 'Son of Dracula'.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2018, 01:22:07 AM »
That is a bit of a stretch. They are not exactly the same. Sure, both are Dhampyrs. Both had Dracula as their father and a human woman as their mother. And both feel strongly against the evil they partially represent. But that's.. kinda where the similarities end.

there's a reason i didn't say any more than i did--we'd be here all day if you were to actually list the differences, but for clarity's sake here're a few

-dracula in vhd is a literal diety to the point of being a cosmic force of nature
-d's conception was not "dracula loved a human woman" but vhd's dracula wanting to ascend his species so he knocked up countless human women and killed the offspring over and over until they evolved into a being with practically none of the crippling vampiric weaknesses--that being was d
-d fights all vampires rather than simply having a feud with daddy and sleeping when daddy's on vacation like alucard
-d doesn't necessarily like going full vampire but unlike alucard he doesn't really have a problem letting it out when he needs to
-alucard's around 600 or so, d's over 10,000

so already, completely different origins and character motivations

now for abilities
-d is almost cosmic-god levels of OP like his father late in the novels, to the point of resisting being erased from reality via manipulation of akashic records and other reality-warping forces

...^this is all i need to bring up, really  :P

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2018, 09:43:26 AM »
D9: Ouch! That's a whole lotta info I didn't know. I only ever saw both animated movies so I'm guessing all that info came from the books.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Aiddon

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2018, 11:44:44 PM »
There's a decent argument to be made that if D was never written Castlevania (and a lot of vampire fiction in general) would never exist. The thing is, I literally can't find an earlier work of vampire fiction in Japanese media (heck, horror fiction in general wasn't very popular in 1980s Japan). The first novel was released in 1983 with the OVA in 1985. Castlevania released 1986. Furthermore, it's not just the character of D himself as even the early games took influence from the overall Gothic Horror genre Kikuchi wrote into the series. And that's before getting into the wackier, genre-mixing bits of science fiction and fantasy.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2018, 03:22:50 AM »
There's a decent argument to be made that if D was never written Castlevania (and a lot of vampire fiction in general) would never exist. The thing is, I literally can't find an earlier work of vampire fiction in Japanese media (heck, horror fiction in general wasn't very popular in 1980s Japan). The first novel was released in 1983 with the OVA in 1985. Castlevania released 1986. Furthermore, it's not just the character of D himself as even the early games took influence from the overall Gothic Horror genre Kikuchi wrote into the series. And that's before getting into the wackier, genre-mixing bits of science fiction and fantasy.

IGA clarified that "the original series never took inspiration on D" (by that I'm assuming the three first main games). Although, of course, he was not part of the team that created Castlevania, I'm pretty sure he knows the development history behind it as a (former) Konami employee in charge of the franchise. He knows even who de facto created the series, but couldn't reveal this. He went on to say that later games did take inspiration on D, however.

That said, there's quite a bit of vampire media predating D in Japan. Here is the supposedly first Japanese vampire movie. Here's one later example of vampire media predating D. Dracula's name was already a thing, and this comical cartoon was quite a hit too. Not to mention actual vampire myths in Japan that are ancient.

There are Dracula novel translations into Japanese as far back as 1963, but the 1958 movie played in Japanese theaters before that.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 03:39:42 AM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2018, 10:34:51 AM »
>hammer dracula

kikuchi himself cites this and particularly lee's dracula as a major inspiration source for writing VHD, just so it's out there

Offline Aiddon

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2018, 12:50:58 PM »
kikuchi himself cites this and particularly lee's dracula as a major inspiration source for writing VHD, just so it's out there

That just comes with the territory. Hell, the most recent Blu-ray remaster of the original 1958 Hammer film used footage from a Japanese print to restore Dracula's death scene. But again, Dracula and the horror genre (as said by Kikuchi himself) was very niche in Japan in the eighties. It's why most Japanese horror media you find prior is a bunch of B-film junk. It's also why Kikuchi threw in a bunch of sci-fi, fantasy, and spaghetti western elements into the VHD series so it could sell. Kinda weird considering how lauded a lot of Japanese horror films are nowadays.

And anyway, the circumstances are just too coincidental. VHD was first written in 1983, the OVA came out in '85, then the first Castlevania was out in '86. Heck, CV even has the standard hodgepodge elements what with constant anachronisms regarding sci-fi and mythological elements. All they really was switch it to a medieval setting, strip out the Western parts, and make the protagonist a gender-swapped Doris Lang. At the very least VHD showed there was a rising interest in the kind of vampire ficition that had previously been extremely niche.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2018, 02:24:54 PM »
yeah, kikuchi i think really contributed to that -- i wouldn't say he opened the door, but he definitely widened how far it was open

Tags:

anything