Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Live Music Shows You've Attended  (Read 2344 times)

Offline Gecko

• King for 1,000 Years on Occasion Avenue
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« on: March 03, 2012, 11:21:54 AM »
Yes, I know we have the "Music You've Been Digging Lately" topic, but how about LIVE music, in person. I'm curious about how many of you have been to live performances from your favorite bands, bands you don't care about, local shows, orchestras, etc.

I didn't really get into the live music scene until I started college, and was able(ironically) to afford it:
2008: Broadway production of Jesus Christ Superstar (feat. Ted Neely as Jesus) in Little Rock, AR

2009: Judas Priest in St. Charles, MO
Whitesnake opened.

2010: Scorpions in Nashville, TN(I ended up meeting them personally backstage!)
Ratt opened.

2011: Judas Priest in Allen, TX
Thin Lizzy, and Black Label Society opened.

2012: Anvil in Little Rock, AR(Small venue, so I met each member of the band. Great time!)
Local death metal band Vore, and a few other bands opened the show.

For me, I pretty much get to see one band a year, as bands I like rarely come near where I live. It is rare that I don't have to set hotel reservations and drive for 8 hours to get to the location, so it's a really big deal for me. This year though, I've already seen Anvil, and now I'm looking forward to Iron Maiden(for which I have purchased tickets today) in August this year. So I'm breaking the mold.

So how about you guys? Have you enjoyed any live shows in the past few years?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 01:04:57 PM by Gecko »
------------
Return to CastleVania

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 01:32:31 PM »
Marcy Playground, Spring of 1999 I think, Bellingham,WA (they played at my college)
Rammstein, Spring 2011, Tacoma,WA

Oh, and Tim Noah at my elementary school, if anyone even knows who he is. And one of my coworkers put on a show for his birthday; he had a little garage band.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 02:35:59 PM »
I found concerts exciting for a short bit in my late teens. Then I got bored of 'em and didn't think they were worth the money. But I'll still go to one if it's a band I really, really wanna see.

Let's see if I can remember some of the highlights and their years...

2003 and 2004 (s'all a blur and probably out of order):
Strapping Young Lad, Meshuggah (my first show; SYL were the main draw for me)
Opeth and some other metal bands
Type O Negative and Cradle of Filth (TON the main draw)
KMFDM (I think they performed some PIG songs) and Bile
SKINNY PUPPY, BOOOOOIIIIII!!!!!!!! Opening acts were shitty, including that Otto von Schirach fagghot
The Dillinger Escape Plan

And I missed a few good shows from like '04 and '05 due to not being 21, most notably Einstuerzende Neubauten and Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. I also stupidly stayed home when I really should have gone to a solo Devin Townsend show in '03 or '04.

2005:
Strapping Young Lad (headliner with a bunch of shitty "metalcore" bands)
dredg

2006: Pet Shop Boys

Sometime after that (2007–now):
Sigh
ohGr
Devin Townsend

Shows stupidly missed:

- Cynic (sold out because it was a tiny venue and Meshuggah fronted)
(...and I think they came back as the main event but I didn't feel like going... I chose chatting at a McDonald's with a woman I liked over the show, which might have been a mistake because she wound up not dating me anyway.)
- Babyland (they played like 3 hours away, the first time they ever played in the Midwest, and I was a stupid nutsac and didn't make the trip—which sucks because only a few months later, they disbanded)
- PIG because they canceled the tour just before stopping in Minneapolis

Yeah, those are probably the biggest mentions. I know I saw a whole lot more, but none of it's coming to mind besides a shit-ass shitty mcfuck fart Kill Hannah show I was forced to go to.

Anyway, here's some live Babyland to help me get over the pain:

BABYLAND "Omaha" HD - 16mm
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 02:41:42 PM »
oh FUCK ME I forgot two of the most baddest shows ever, which were in...'08?

One was Nine Inch Nails which was amazing, and Boris opened and they totally tore it up.

Then that same week, Boris played at a tiny dive bar and it was bliss.

At that same dive some years prior, I also saw Cave In with I think Converge and Between the Buried and Me. I might have fused two or three shows together, but it was pretty awesome.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Gecko

• King for 1,000 Years on Occasion Avenue
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 01:00:44 PM »
I missed one concert that I feel really bad about to this day. It was in 2008, and I had a ticket to see Judas Priest, Heaven and Hell (Black Sabbath with Dio), Motorhead, and Testament. I missed because I moved into the dorm of my university the same day, and the show was in Dallas TX.

And now Dio's dead (RIP), so I'll never get to see him.  :'(
On the other hand, that wasn't one of Priest's better tours. When I saw them a year later, It was incredible! Rob was hitting unbelievable high notes, and KK Downing was still in the band. In last year's show, Rob's voice had improved even more(he quit smoking), and they had the new guy, Richie Faulkner, on stage right instead of KK, who retired. Very cool guy though, and he does his own impromptu solos instead of trying to immitate KK(who also improvised often).

I guess I should mention the opening bands in my first post. I was at their concerts too, really.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 01:03:09 PM by Gecko »
------------
Return to CastleVania

Offline Think Tank

• usually posts while intoxicated
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 06:10:09 PM »
Lots of variery in this thread. I love it.

I can't name all the shows I've been to. Probably at least 300 if I count everything from big acts to local bands (not counting live music in bars or anything).

Some highlights for me would include...

• Radiohead
  • Ween
  • Paul McCartney
  • Nine Inch Nails & A Perfect Circle
  • Pantera, Static X, Slayer & Type-O-Negative
  • Rob Zombie
  • Dr. Dre, Snoop, Ice Cube, Warren G, Nate Dogg and Eminem

Have tix to see Radiohead for the 3rd time since 2005 in a couple weeks.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 06:12:19 PM by Think Tank »

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 01:27:41 AM »
I actually attended my very first live show earlier this month, actually. It was Rohn Lawrence at Toad's Place in New Haven. Music was good, but I ain't much for live shows...they can get too loud for me x_x;;

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Tags:

anything