Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: I am a citizen  (Read 5666 times)

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« on: November 25, 2010, 05:18:48 AM »
Some of you may see it as an obvious thing, but being a citizen is not so obvious.
Where I live, you have to serve your country for 3 years in order to earn a right to be called a citizen.

Being free is obvious to most, and you cannot fully appreciate the value of being free until the moment you become the property of your state, so you are no longer completely free to make decisions and are very limited by orders and restrictions.

3 years is a long time. When you serve in the army, you sometimes feel as if you are frozen in time, stuck in the military world, and by the time you finish your service, you notice that many things have changed without you noticing it. All the people that you knew before the army have changed, matured, while you feel that you are still 18. Well, maybe 19, definitely not 21.

You enter the army as a teenager, and finish as an adult. Suddenly people's expectations from you are much higher.
Quite a shock, really.

Anyway, freedom is priceless. But sometimes you have to pay for it.
Be free, mates. Happy Holidays!  ;D

"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 07:47:50 AM »
What of people incapable of joining the military?

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 09:39:14 AM »
I see that your boner is raging madly at your newly-acquired citizenship. :o

Congrats and all that.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 11:32:20 AM »
I don't believe that there ever was a time in your life that you were not free or not a citizen. From the very moment you drew your first breath, you were free. That is god's decree to us all, eventhough the corrupt, egotisitcal mind-set of humanity would see otherwise. You've alway been free St- *A-hem* Citizen Freddy! Live it up to your heart's content!!  ;)

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 11:43:22 AM »
^You speak of the legend of "tabula rasa?" How prunyuu of yuu~

Congratulations Freddy, hope you enjoy your newfound citizenship :)

Offline Harrycombs

• Monster fan
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 09:35:20 AM »

Anyway, freedom is priceless. But sometimes you have to pay for it.

I hope you know that this makes absolutely no sense.

I'm guessing you are from Israel?
The dream reveals the reality, which conception lags behind. That is the horror of life - the terror of art.

Franz Kafka

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 10:59:39 AM »
The flag behind the tank is a dead giveaway.

-X
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Mooning Freddy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 11:51:03 AM »
Thank you guys  ;D

x, well, actually, when you serve in an army knowing that you are protecting civilians and your home, you do feel free;
I did feel free during my service.
But after all, from the minute you recruit in a mandatory service, you are the state's property. 

That may sound funny, but it's true. While in the Israeli army soldiers and their commanders and officers are usually friends and work as a team, still, rejecting a direct order would often get you in jail.
Since you belong to the state, you are not allowed to harm yourself, or be injured as a result of a highly irresponsible action.
If you do so, you may face a trail for damaging government property. XD
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 12:28:37 AM »
Way to ignore my question. Don't be stingy with answering questions.

Offline Harrycombs

• Monster fan
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 09:52:21 AM »
Is there away to opt out and do non-combat service like in Germany?
The dream reveals the reality, which conception lags behind. That is the horror of life - the terror of art.

Franz Kafka

Offline Mooning Freddy

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 12:57:04 PM »
Way to ignore my question. Don't be stingy with answering questions.

I didn't ignore your question. Or did I? Sorry!  ;D
Anyway, your question isn't focused enough. What exactly do you mean by, incapable of joining the military? Physically? Mentally?
People with physical handicaps can join the army too. They can't be fighters; They can still serve as clerks, though, and that's usually what they are assigned for in Israel.
People with severe handicaps are usually dismissed from mandatory service, however, can still volunteer if they wish.

As for mental handicaps, I don't think that people who have been diagnosed with mental illnesses can serve as fighters.
Those who have severe cases of mental illnesses are dismissed.

Harry, so-called "civilian service" is available in Israel, but unlike Germany, it's not an alternative to military service, but rather an option for people who have been dismissed from the military and still want to give away some of their time to the community, or for people who are not recruited by Mandatory law like Orthodox Jews, religious girls, and Israeli Arabs.

I knew this guy who was dismissed from the military after successfully proving that he's a Pacifist. He decided to join a civilian service nevertheless. Now that's a man of values!
~Charlie Sheen

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 02:18:48 PM »
I'm a pacifist myself.  :) It is a good thing to say "No!" to Military deployment when you feel it doesn't work for you or interfears with your personal values. Muhhommad ali, the famous american boxer refused to enter military service because it was not what he wanted or believed in. They branded him a traitor to his country, but in the end, he won the court case. This, of course was during the corrupt Vietnam Bulls**t america was shoving down out throats so you can guess the rest of it.

-X

Offline Harrycombs

• Monster fan
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 03:03:19 PM »
I'm a pacifist myself.  :) It is a good thing to say "No!" to Military deployment when you feel it doesn't work for you or interfears with your personal values. Muhhommad ali, the famous american boxer refused to enter military service because it was not what he wanted or believed in. They branded him a traitor to his country, but in the end, he won the court case. This, of course was during the corrupt Vietnam Bulls**t america was shoving down out throats so you can guess the rest of it.

-X

As far as the draft goes, WW1 was perhaps worse than Vietnam. Speaking out against the draft was in itself illegal, let alone actually draft dodging. A lot of brave people went to jail over it.

Franz Kafka

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2010, 10:38:10 PM »
As far as the draft goes, WW1 was perhaps worse than Vietnam. Speaking out against the draft was in itself illegal, let alone actually draft dodging. A lot of brave people went to jail over it.

Vietan was worse. And by worse I mean by "Political lie" WW1 was nessissary because some nutty German got it into his head to expand his political power by invading other countries. So yes, drafting was appropriate back then. Vietam was nothing more then an excuse at the time for america to flex its political muscle and prove to the world what a bad@$$ it was when there was no real need for it. That's why they had such an outcry from the civilian populous. Because the war meant nothing. There was no values and no real gain from it except to 'look good' in the eyes of the world. And Muhhommad ali was one of those who knew it to be true which was why he rejected the force draft. Sorry for my political rant here Citizen Freddy  ;D just a little history 101.

-X

Offline Mooning Freddy

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2010, 02:17:50 AM »
I'm a pacifist myself.  :) It is a good thing to say "No!" to Military deployment when you feel it doesn't work for you or interferes with your personal values.

Disagreeing with a certain war or military campaign is a one thing, and being a Pacifist is completely another.
A Pacifist is someone who is not willing to fight because he believes that all wars are evil.
I respect Pacifists, as much as I respect religious people or any other who live according to certain moral values.

Yet personally, I see the whole idea behind Pacifism as retarded. Being a Pacifist would be great, if all people in the world would be willing to lay down their arms and live in peace and harmony. Since that is not going to happen as long as our world exists, being a Pacifist is basically being a sheep. Like the Jews in the Holocaust who refused to believe Hitler is going to kill them.

Some of the values I respect most are the values which the constitution of the United States of America was based on.
"Freedom of religion, and freedom from religion" is one of the basics of Democracy- You may practice whichever religion you choose, as long as it doesn't harm the people around you, and you do not oppress it upon others.  And when somebody tries to force you into living the same way he does, you should have the right to tell him "f**k you" and shoot him in the face.
~Charlie Sheen

Tags: