Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What's your favorite staircase?  (Read 5326 times)

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« on: June 28, 2012, 02:20:25 PM »
Mine would have to be the one in the Royal Chapel. It's a stunning example of build-up while still keeping tension. You have this tremendously huge staircase where the rest of the structure's architecture depends on it with little crannies with stuffed goods every few steps. The colossal and strong diagonal shape is a simple but nevertheless powerful use of composition. The design itself also subverts Alucard's abilities with the Corner Knights, Bone Heads, and spiked balls, all placed on a sharply diagonal plane. The situation is unlike anything else in the game. I especially love the relationship between the boneheads and the balls. And to finish it off, the music with its airy choirs make the feeling of ascension all the more complete, which is all rather thematic for a "holy" place.

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 04:00:39 PM »
The staircase in the chapel in Rondo. Damn fleaman infested staircase.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 04:07:28 PM »
That one at the dead end of the woods in Simon's Quest.  It's a broken down, stationary escalator, with graphics unseen on the NES at the time.  Unfortunately, it's also invisible.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 03:30:00 PM »
My favorite staircase is the one transcending up towards Dracula's keep. It represents (literally) the climax of the game leading to the final showdown. I'm not fond of going into the middle castle crypt in order to fight Dracula cause that just isn't nearly as epic as the final climb to the top-most tower. It's like Dracula has temporarily dethroned God and you have to ascend to those cursed heights in order to bring him down.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 07:26:59 PM »
Mines this one

cause its awesome

EDIT: boooooooo hotlinking
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 08:08:38 PM by Aridale »

Offline knightmere

• Lord of The Abyss
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 11:18:03 AM »
Castlevania 3, the stairs leading up to Dracula :D

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 07:43:34 PM »
That one at the dead end of the woods in Simon's Quest.  It's a broken down, stationary escalator, with graphics unseen on the NES at the time.  Unfortunately, it's also invisible.
Thinking about that "bug", thats could be what gave Konami the idea to all these secret invisible stairs doesnt it?

My favorite one is that in Rondo, the invisible one (thanks Dracula for putting all that money up there for me  ;) )
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Tags: