Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: So... what WAS Simon's curse, exactly?  (Read 20164 times)

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
Re: So... what WAS Simon's curse, exactly?
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2012, 11:10:38 AM »
You guys know that Mr P's site has translations for the Japanese manuals of all the games, right? I've been using them as a source of information for years.

Dracula Curse:

"15th century Europe. During the Dark Ages, there was a man who was feared by all. A man who has stopped being human. His name was
Count Vlad Tepes, otherwise known as Dracula. His territory was located at the outskirts of Transylvania, at the Wallachia territory, where he
used a taboo art to ressurect an evil deity. The deity granted him power and in exchange, he summoned several apparitions from the spirit
world in order to scorch and massacre the entire nation of Wallachia with darkness.

He felt he could extend his presence even further and now he's plotting to take all over Europe. The East Orthodox Church were desperate to
solve this situation, that they immediately dispatched a powerful army to Wallachia, but they never came back.

As a last resort, the Pope made a request to a man from the underworld, a man who uses a forbidden art and a pair of Vampire Hunters to end
Wallachia's oppresion.

The first one that was entrusted by the Pope was Sypha Belnandez at the East Orthodox Church, an apprentice monk in pursuit of becoming
a priest. Sypha's ability is a powerful type of magic that harness it's power from the atmosphere and can manipulate fire, ice and lightning bolts.
Sypha's attacking strenght is great, but he doesn't use weapon and is most vulnerable to any damage received from an enemy's attack. Sypha
lost his parents when he was young and was found wandering near the monastery, where he remained at the once-beautiful Wallachia. Sypha
knew that the place in his memories was now tainted and he accepted the pope's request to liberate Wallachia.

Around the same time, within Wallachia, a group of rebels were corvertly plotting to overthrow Count Dracula. However their human strenght
was no help and they were no match for Dracula's dark powers. Some of men were teared to pieces, others were senteced to be skewered and
some were transformed into hideous monsters. Grant Dinesti, carefree man from Wallachia was among them.

Those who tainted their hand once don't know when to stop. Count Dracula was not sastified with the power he already had after selling his
soul and body to the devil and he wanted to have more. The contract he made with the devil was also applied to his own son.

The son opposed his father, who still had a human heart even after getting rid of soul, as his own body was no longer human as well and it
finally went to the point that he slesyd reminding himself of his hate for his father. However, he cannot challenge his own father, who is an evil
spirit himself, all alone as the odds are agaisnt him. Although his relationship to Dracula is a burden for the Cross, nonetheless, Adrian
Fahrenheit Tepes opted to fight anyway. He changed his name to Alucard and infiltrate Wallachia underground with the purpose of destroying
his father and restoring the beauty of Wallachia, he began searching for a comrade that shared the same ideal.

The Pope was in predicament once again. Sypha, the vampire hunter who was sent out to Wallachia did not returned after the promised period.
The Pope assumed that since Sypha didn't return, his mission was already a failure and he was more likely dead by now.

This is when a genuine Vampire Hunter from the Belmont family appears to fullfil the Pope's request. The Belmont family, with their tenacious
willpower and seemingly bottomless strenght were treated no differently from the actual vampires and were just as feared. Because of this, the
Belmont family lived far away from common people, becoming almost folkloric. The Pope searched in all directions until he met a man with
Belmont bloodline. A longhair young man who was Ralph C. Belmont.

Go back in time more than a hundred years before Simon Belmont's time, when the the battle between Dracula and mankind began."

The Adventure:
"Transylvania, a small country in Europe, is associated even today with a demon's legend. With his powerful evil power, the legacy of
Count Dracula has been dreaded by the people. However, no matter how many times Dracula comes back, he never manages to fully
change the world into darkness as he is always put away by Simon, a descendant of the Belmont clan. However, the devil Dracula has
existed long before his first confrontation. Not as the devil Dracula, but as an evil sorcerer. Count Dracula was a fanatical demon worshipper,
who built a dark castle at the outskirts of Transylvania and conducted evil rituals every night. He has summoned several demons from the
other world to serve him and he himself has been trying to get eternal life by becoming a demon king possesing evil powers. With each
day, Count Dracula's evil powers became more frigtening, as he spread fear and terror to the people of the village. Until one day, a man
stood up. It was Christopher, an ancestor of the Belmont family. Christopher rushed to the dark castle. Many demons and traps layed out
are waiting for him at the castle. Will he be able to defeat the transformed devil, Count Dracula, as expected?"

The origins of Sara Trantoul revealed? 

I really like this theory but the PoR timeline says she was a gypsy woman. It contains a lot of information from Japanese sources, so I consider that timeline to be a reliable source.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2012, 11:54:18 AM »
I really like this theory but the PoR timeline says she was a gypsy woman. It contains a lot of information from Japanese sources, so I consider that timeline to be a reliable source.

Ah. Guess not then.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2012, 02:01:21 PM »
You guys know that Mr P's site has translations for the Japanese manuals of all the games, right? I've been using them as a source of information for years.

Yeah, but they mostly seem to not up to par. The translation he has for the story of CV2 is riddles with errors.

This is from official supplementary sources related to PoR? Got any links? I'd like to see.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 02:05:44 PM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2012, 02:38:25 AM »
+1
Simon's curse is to whip enemies twice as much at nighttime.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2012, 08:03:26 AM »
This is from official supplementary sources related to PoR? Got any links? I'd like to see.

http://www.vgmuseum.com/mrp/cv-por/bonusmaterial4.htm

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2012, 08:32:13 AM »
Wow... that's fucking stupid. They just made up a 6th body part. Way pull shit outta their asses after the fact. You'd think they could have come up with something better.

EDIT: Hold on a sec. This is that same document that claims Grant is a pirate. Is there a version of this in Japanese? I don't trust anything that was officially translated. They seem to almost always "improve" things by making shit up for no good reason that wasn't in the original Japanese text.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 08:38:23 AM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2012, 09:42:39 AM »
Wow... that's fucking stupid. They just made up a 6th body part. Way pull shit outta their asses after the fact. You'd think they could have come up with something better.

They didn't make that up. The sixth body part was already mentioned in a guidebook from 1987. Most likely it was original intent. I made a topic about it once...

I noticed that bit about Grant, too. It's possible that they added some stuff but I can confirm most of the information is from valid Japanese sources, and there are no other inconsisties as far as I know.

This timeline was just released in English, by the way.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2012, 09:56:02 AM »
This is that same document that claims Grant is a pirate.

Actually I don't mind if Grant is a pirate. I find it gives him more character then just an acrobat. Besides pirates excel in acrobatics due to their climbing all over the ship's rigging's.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2012, 12:02:28 PM »
Being able to climb rigging doesn't make you a good acrobat. Plus 13th century ships didn't have tons of rigging like later vessels associated with piracy. But I suppose it's at least plausible he could have been a pirate. Although, I doubt he would even remotely resemble a golden age pirate of any sort.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 12:05:00 PM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2012, 04:02:28 PM »
+1
Being able to climb rigging doesn't make you a good acrobat. Plus 13th century ships didn't have tons of rigging like later vessels associated with piracy. But I suppose it's at least plausible he could have been a pirate. Although, I doubt he would even remotely resemble a golden age pirate of any sort.
So "thats" why Konami dislikes Grant, they hate piracy.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2012, 04:20:38 PM »

(click to show/hide)

I could practically hear the opening movie music.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2012, 12:08:58 AM »
The lady in the mist could have been a witch or sorceress.

As for Grant, it was obvious by the Japanese manual that he wasn't a pirate, he was a member of the Danesti. They were always trying to overthrow Dracula because the Danesti and Draculesti were constantly vying for rule of Romania for decades upon decades. Why the hell would a pirate try to overthrow Dracula, in a clock tower no less?
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2012, 10:58:22 AM »
Why the hell would a pirate try to overthrow Dracula, in a clock tower no less?

Grant was captured, transformed then sent to guard the clock tower while the rest of his family were brutally murdered. It's probably Dracula's way of spiting the Dynasti family from attempting to overthrow his family for such a long time.

Being able to climb rigging doesn't make you a good acrobat. Plus 13th century ships didn't have tons of rigging like later vessels associated with piracy.

What about CV3's Haunted ship of fools? That's a BIG ship! And I do believe that CV3 took place in the 15th century not the 13th  ;) Besides pirates are thieves. They will work up any and all skills in order to help them acquire their riches. And that includes acrobat skills. Acrobatic skill doesn't just mean that you are mid-air somersaulting all over the place. It means that you are athletically fit. You can run for prolonged periods of time without getting tired, fighting in the thick of combat without needing to get in your second wind and being able to do all sorts of other feats that any normal person would gawk at.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2012, 05:44:45 PM »
Lol at bad spellings. It's 'Dinesti'.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2012, 06:09:17 PM »
What about CV3's Haunted ship of fools? That's a BIG ship! And I do believe that CV3 took place in the 15th century not the 13th  ;) Besides pirates are thieves. They will work up any and all skills in order to help them acquire their riches. And that includes acrobat skills. Acrobatic skill doesn't just mean that you are mid-air somersaulting all over the place. It means that you are athletically fit. You can run for prolonged periods of time without getting tired, fighting in the thick of combat without needing to get in your second wind and being able to do all sorts of other feats that any normal person would gawk at.

My bad. Yes, it does take place at the end of the 15th century. I sometimes forget that you add a number to get the century not subtract one. However, the size of ship that is represented in the Ghostship stage is still out of period by at least 100 years or so. Let me put it into perspective, Columbus sailed 3 ships to the new world which happens about 20 years after CV3. Those ships were average for the time. The Nina was about 55 tons, the Ointa was about 90 tons, and the Santa Maria was about 200 to 300 tons. An average 4 masted Galleon, 200 years later, is 500 to 600 tons. The Ghostship in CV3 is a 5 masted monster with not only Galleon style rear gallery, but a forward gallery too. That thing is totally out of place. Especially for an area as small as the Black Sea.

EDIT: Oops, 2x post. feel free to delete the otter one.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 06:12:05 PM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Tags:

anything