Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: 3D  (Read 6332 times)

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« on: August 06, 2010, 07:21:48 PM »
So I'm watching television and I see a commercial preview for Step Up 3D, sequel to the last 2 Step Up movies that feature ridiculous choreographed dance moves with, but now in 3D. I honestly didn't know what to think.

What's your stance on this big 3D craze that's infested the entertainment industry? Do you see it becoming the standard or is it just a fad?

I must admit, I'm one of the only 5 people that has yet to watch Avatar in any format, so my feelings may change once that happens. Right now I hate how literally everything is pushing 3D down our throats, and it scares me how Sony, Panasonic, & countless others are developing 3D televisions as if it's already confirmed the public wants everything broadcasted in 3D now. At this rate, in 3-5 years we'll all own 3D TVs because all of gaming will only cater to 3D-only sets. And that sucks because I only had my 42" for 2 years.

The only aspect of this 3D phenomenon our culture is engulfed in, that interests me is, obviously, the 3DS. Not because it's glasses-free, but because I love Nintendo's handhelds & the creativity that's involved. Had they announced this handheld being completely different sans 3D, I'd still be interested.

So will you embrace 2011-3D, or are you against it, or are you on the fence still?

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 07:40:42 PM »
I personally hate it and think its just a fad just like in the old days with the anaglyphic glasses and it wont ever be more than that til the term "3d" = full holographic displays

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 10:47:36 AM »
The technology may have gotten better since the old days, but it's still the same hokey crap as it's always been. People claim Avatar in the theaters looked amazing in 3D, but eh... I never bothered to see it.

Even if it did do 3D well (it was shot with two cameras simultaneously, I think), it doesn't change the fact that most 3D movies use the effect in a gimmicky fashion, and I hate how so many movies now are going 3D.

And hell, even if Avatar does use 3D well for depth perception as I've been told, I just don't care. I'm looking at a flat screen; give me a flat movie. What do I care about faux-3D depth?
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 11:46:44 AM »
This is just another one of those technological excelorated leaps forward. However it's happening at a much greater and faster rate then it would've been during the 20th century. I don't really believe that 3D will fully replace 2D cause there's still such a high marcket for it. for example: The LP (Vynel Record). they've been around for such a long time and due to a recent popularity boom, record companies have started to manufacture them again. electronics companies are still makeing transistor tubes cause there's still a demand for them. Even the old fastioned candle stick telephones have been remodeled to work with our current digital world. As long as there's a demand for something, the corporate world will take notice. 3D TV's and movies may be on the rapid rise right now but I think it's like any other fad. It has it's moments in the spotlight and then something else comes along and bumps it out of the way. So try not to feel too threatened about it. Heck! I was the same way when I first heard that video games we're going 3D rather then remaining 2D  ::)

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 12:49:22 PM »
I'm still on the fence. I haven't seen Avatar either, nor do I want to. My girlfriend wanted to see the new Clash of the Titans, and we heard how the 3-D version was pretty disappointing, so we just saw the standard version instead. I have yet to see a 3-D movie. I'm still somewhat skeptical about 3-D sustaining its popularity, so I'm in no rush to go out and buy a 3-D TV.

One of these days I'll watch something in 3-D so I can see if I like it or not, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm sure it'll be enjoyable, but not earth-shattering.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 04:42:47 PM »
Clash of the Titans was pretty mediocre.  The 3D was totally gimmicky.

Avatar, on the other hand, was damn awesome.  Remind me why you guys don't want to see it?  Is it because it's overhyped?  I understood that sort of sentiment months ago when it came out, but it's been long enough where you won't lose face by seeing it.  It's actually a pretty cool movie.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 09:20:06 PM »
I just think the flick looks kind of retarded. Thought that when I first saw the trailer. I love Cameron sci-fi flicks, but he hadn't done one since The Abyss, so I doubted he really could pull it off. From what I hear from movie buddies of mine, he didn't.

Another reason why I hate 3D: higher ticket price. And having to sit there wearing those stupid glasses over my prescription glasses. It's very uncomfortable around the ears.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 02:45:18 AM »

Avatar, on the other hand, was damn awesome.  Remind me why you guys don't want to see it?  Is it because it's overhyped?  I understood that sort of sentiment months ago when it came out, but it's been long enough where you won't lose face by seeing it.  It's actually a pretty cool movie.

Nothing about it looks appealing to me, I guess. I don't want to call sour grapes on Avatar, but nothing in its advertising or word-of-mouth has made me want to see it. The only thing I know about it is that it can be seen in 3D...that's pretty much it.  :-\
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Gecko

• King for 1,000 Years on Occasion Avenue
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 11:02:02 AM »
I'm not a fan of the 3D craze. I watched a few movies in 3D recently like How To Train Your Dragon, and Alice in Wonderland, and it just bothered me. Movies usually have the camera focus on what you're supposed to be looking at, but in this case, it is often focused on something that appears further away from you than the unfocused objects. My eyes naturally look at the bigger blurry images, and I have to focus to see what the screen is trying to show me. The whole thing makes me nautious. The glasses are uncomfortable, and I keep having to adjust them. No, I'd much rather watch an ordinary FLAT movie. Besides, the images still look flat, they just look like slices of paper cut out of the screen. It's like watching Paper Mario: The Movie or something.
------------
Return to CastleVania

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 04:00:11 PM »
I don't want to watch the Blue Smurf movie known as Avatar (yes folks I hear a Smurfs live action movie is in the works), but I did see Clash of the Titans in 3D. Other than the rain effects in the movie, nothing seemed outstanding about it in 3D, I could take off the glasses at times and see the movie just fine. At other times the movie would be blurry as it should be without the glasses, but lord forbid 3D becomes a permanent fixture in movie theaters (hello extra $3 charge, if I keep my glasses, can I pay the normal fee and just use my glasses from another movie? :P). I play 2D games, and like my TV in 2D, as well as my movies, hopefully this 3D fa dies off quickly, though with 3D TV, I don't see it dying down in the home market unless it flops.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 04:17:39 PM »
Another thing I hate about 3D and the "RealD" films I've seen is clarity. It's difficult to really focus on anything that's meant to be in focus.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 08:22:09 PM »
Wait, what's wrong with Smurfs?  Smurfs're awesome and you're wrong if you don't like the little communist tykes. :P
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 10:59:31 AM »
If you don't want a 3D TV Gecko, then you can always save up for the 4 color system TV that uses true yellow in the spectrum.

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2010, 03:32:38 PM »
Wait, what's wrong with Smurfs?  Smurfs're awesome and you're wrong if you don't like the little communist tykes. :P

I'd rather not watch a cartoon from my childhood raped beyond comprehension.

Juno106

Re: 3D
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2010, 07:43:56 PM »
The Smurfs cartoon was faithful but still not the original idea of the comic book called Schtroumpfs.  Just hope Spielberg doesn't end up screwing up the much anticipated TINTIN movie (CGI rotoscopy i believe) and decide to have it 3D as well.  yuck

Tags: