Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What do you believe is true the devil or the ego  (Read 9100 times)

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
Re: What do you believe is true the devil or the ego
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2012, 07:54:35 AM »
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Belmont Stakes

• Registered Massholevaniac
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Smashing controllers since 1982
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2012, 02:09:17 PM »
On one of my courses, I was required to read about Egoism in the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. It was quite an interesting read.

The most interesting part about it was the issue of Psychological Egoism. It's basically a psychological argument that ALL actions people perform in their lives are ultimately selfish. According the basic idea, altruism is a made-up concept that does not truly exist in life, as for every altruistic action that a man does he receives something in return. Be it friendship, gratitude, or even the most basic good feeling of doing a good deed. They set the most extreme example of altruistic action- a soldier covering a grenade with his body to save his friends. In principle, he cannot receive any gratitude for this action of self-sacrifice.
Nevertheless, Psychological Egoism claims his action is egoistic because by doing that the soldier avoids the shame in not doing it.

So you see, if everything we do is egoistic, does the devil really matter? lol...
Also, those are great, I really love those:
(click to show/hide)

I was reading an article on the Joker from the Batman series. The Joker is said to have murdered over 2000 victims well enough to warrant the death penalty but always is proven not guilty by reason of insanity. I have often wondered what is a being like that lacking or what has it lost to act in such a fashion. Whether or not a person believes in a religion, philosophy, moral code or professes having a conscience no reasonably right thinking person acts that way. What you said about Psychological Egoism seems to be out of balance. Many acts or works can be deemed selfish but I think there is a difference between selfishness and reasonable self concern. Balance is always under assault from all sides.

Remember my name and know this. I have Suffolk Down Syndrome.

Stop me if you've heard this one.
A Belmont falls through a trap door into a square prison with no exits. After hitting three sides he smashes through the last one. Relieved and low on health he looks at the camera, smiles and says......"Pork chop?"
ULTIMATE FOURTH WALL BREAK!!! That just happened!!!

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2012, 08:59:53 PM »
What I don't understand is why everyone pushes Christianity, Catholicism, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism or Hindu in everyone else' face, and yet nobody's pushing Zoroaster's teachings.

No clue on Zoroaster's teaching... though thinking it, it does sound vaguely familiar.

Although Catholic, I also do not like the idea of shoving religion in another's face. I talk about it, yes, but I don't like to shove it in others face unless it's already brought up. I think that's doing more of a disservice to the religion than help gather followers. You should lead by example, as it's often said, not by annoying people by telling them what they aren't even interested in in the first place.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2012, 09:12:28 AM »
When I first read that, I saw "Zoro Toaster". Double take, for sure.

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2012, 07:15:34 PM »
Giorgio Tsoukalos on Satan

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!!

Zoroaster (aka Zarathustra) supposedly lived 3000 years before Jesus. He preached that human existence is a constant struggle between truth and deceit. Ahura Mazda is He who is truth; creation and existence are that which are truth. Zoroaster also preached the concept of Free Will (if you haven't been to a Judeo-Christian church, that might not seem like a big deal). Good thoughts, words and deeds will keep chaos and deceit at bay and bring happiness to the world. Eventually Ahura Mazda will overcome Angra Mainyu, the embodiment of deceit, and the universe will be restored to its majesty, a savior will appear to renovate the world, and even the dead shall rise for all to be reunited with Ahura Mazda. Ahura Mazda spoke to/through Zoroaster by means of Amesha Spentas, the Holy Immortals who are not Ahura Mazda but part of Ahura Mazda just as the rays of the sun are not the sun but part of the sun, and each of the Amesha Spentas was assisted by Yazatas, those Worthy of Worship (so while one god is worshiped, many lesser entities are worshiped as well as individual parts of that one god, like praising a dominatrix's feet). Fire and water are the purest forms on Earth, water was created second and fire last, whereby water is the source of wisdom and fire is the means through which one can achieve insight into that wisdom. Each of us starts as a soul and is protected by a Fravashi, a guardian spirit if you will, who sends us out into this material world to partake in the struggle between truth and deceit; when we die, our experiences and knowledge then further contribute to the battle in the spiritual realm.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2012, 10:48:14 AM »
What I don't understand is why everyone pushes Christianity, Catholicism, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism or Hindu in everyone else' face, and yet nobody's pushing Zoroaster's teachings.

Prophets come and go just like people's memories. Someone comes along to bring out a positive influence through sacred teachings and helps his or her people. Then the Prophet's work is done and they leave. The people will remember for a time until they start to forget. Then they spiral back down to what they were before. That's when another Prophet comes along and helps remind them. As human beings, we're not perfect and our memories are no exception. They are just as finite as we are. Jesus was the most recent Prophet that the Middle East has known while Zoroaster is probably one of the earliest.
Zoroaster (aka Zarathustra) supposedly lived 3000 years before Jesus. He preached that human existence is a constant struggle between truth and deceit. Ahura Mazda is He who is truth; creation and existence are that which are truth. Zoroaster also preached the concept of Free Will (if you haven't been to a Judeo-Christian church, that might not seem like a big deal). Good thoughts, words and deeds will keep chaos and deceit at bay and bring happiness to the world. Eventually Ahura Mazda will overcome Angra Mainyu, the embodiment of deceit, and the universe will be restored to its majesty, a savior will appear to renovate the world, and even the dead shall rise for all to be reunited with Ahura Mazda. Ahura Mazda spoke to/through Zoroaster by means of Amesha Spentas, the Holy Immortals who are not Ahura Mazda but part of Ahura Mazda just as the rays of the sun are not the sun but part of the sun, and each of the Amesha Spentas was assisted by Yazatas, those Worthy of Worship (so while one god is worshiped, many lesser entities are worshiped as well as individual parts of that one god, like praising a dominatrix's feet). Fire and water are the purest forms on Earth, water was created second and fire last, whereby water is the source of wisdom and fire is the means through which one can achieve insight into that wisdom. Each of us starts as a soul and is protected by a Fravashi, a guardian spirit if you will, who sends us out into this material world to partake in the struggle between truth and deceit; when we die, our experiences and knowledge then further contribute to the battle in the spiritual realm.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Jesus taught the people this exact same concept. However, people being what they are, they couldn't help themselves and twisted many of Christ's teachings to suit their own personal tastes. If and when the Jesus scrolls ever get fully translated we should then have a more accurate interpretation of what the Bible could have truly been like had we not tampered with it.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2012, 01:28:21 PM »
Some reason it sounds a bit like it came out of Judaism. Considering Judaism came first, or should've anyway.

Offline Belmont Stakes

• Registered Massholevaniac
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Smashing controllers since 1982
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2012, 07:05:14 PM »
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!!

I would assume that the people here or a least most of the members of the forum would agree the pursuit of truth is preferable to the lie. So it seems to me that if Jesus was out to change the hearts and behaviors of all peoples he would probably have employed the tactic of inspiring people to change through hope and wonderment (mind of a child) as opposed to using scare tactics (mind of the childish). Honey works better than vinegar, although I do like vinegar here and there.
But in case you don't share these thoughts let me leave you with this. If a guy is named Dick you would want him to be a man but if a man is named Guy you wouldn't want him to be a dick, but you would want him to be all Smiley. :D

Remember my name and know this. I have Suffolk Down Syndrome.

Stop me if you've heard this one.
A Belmont falls through a trap door into a square prison with no exits. After hitting three sides he smashes through the last one. Relieved and low on health he looks at the camera, smiles and says......"Pork chop?"
ULTIMATE FOURTH WALL BREAK!!! That just happened!!!

Tags:

anything