Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Casual gamers...*sigh*  (Read 25212 times)

Offline A vicar in a tutu

• As natural as rain, he dances again.
  • Master Hunter
  • Get your vile soul dry-cleaned
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2008, 08:49:47 AM »
In Reply To #13

BUT ENOUGH TALK! HAVE AT YOU!

*teleports from throne to random place*

THIS CANNOT BE!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

i was defeated.
Seriously, what a douche.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2008, 09:02:34 AM »
In Reply to All,

Mods can see multiple accounts.  Just letting everyone know, m'kay?

"Let's keep it clean, now come out Boxing" -Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!!"
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2008, 09:40:12 AM »
Video games aren't that serious. They're GAMES. No matter how HD the graphics and sound get, how intricate the stories are, they're still GAMES. Do you take Monopoly this seriously? In all, I'd rather play something considered "casual" and have a good time than grit my teeth trying to get thru some overwrought Final Fantasy game.  :P

Offline CVfan13

• Devil Forgemaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Graveyard Duck
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2008, 09:57:11 AM »
In Reply To #16

Yeah, he is.  But Jorge's right, Mister Imitation. Be careful how you put others down.
"I am the morning sun come to vanquish this horrible night!"

Offline Mr Sven

• Did Blow up Megaton City - Dirty Ghouls!
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Casual gamers...*sigh*
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2008, 10:09:17 AM »
IMO Games should be considered an Art form, however they differ substantially from Film/Music/paintings due to their interactivity.
Because everybody enjoys doing something different of course we're gonna come to the conclusion that some games are simply "Rubbish".

While I Agree that companies like EA are notorious for delivering repackaged tat because it sells to the masses I also see them releasing games like battlefield that I personally wouldn't consider "Casual" ( how can it be a casual game when you have to configure practially every button on your keyboard to do something?)

I also agree that the Wii is very very casual, though in Nintendo's defence they have lost quite substantially in the last 2 console wars. I feel although they're producing gimmicky stuff at the moment they need to... they're back on top again since the days of the Snes( I felt one more loss and they may do a SEGA ) and need to pull in that userbase to get onto firm ground once again.

I don't expect anything other than party and gimmicky sports games for a long while on the wii yet, though I do think maybe towards the end of its life or in the next generation we will see the return of some proper classics for the veterans.
Once they have a firm base of casual users I believe we will see the conversion of a lot of folk to things like contra/metal slugs and good old shmups.

They could do a lot better to keep us hardcore happy in the meantime though, the foundation is there in Wiiware and the VC but at the moment theres not much there that I want or can't already emulate for free on the PC.
Legio XIII

<-------- It's mee!

Offline Clara E. Leet

• Legendary Hunter
  • It's still Maridia
    • My Deviantart
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2008, 11:26:28 AM »
I had a former coworker whose only preferred form of gaming was anything with competition in it.

He said I could never be a hardcore gamer because I never played competitive games and there was nothing I could sit down and in five minutes "Pwn the shit out of someone." (Personally I hate multiplayer because of dicks like this guy)

This was a kid who had never heard of Starfox, stared blankly at a customer when he asked if the Konami Code would be in Contra 4, and only plays shooters and racing games.

I'd say that people who only stay on one game, or one type of game (ie Racing or the Cookie Cutter Shooter) are the casual gamers. If all you can do is sit in your little dark corner of the basement and play one game over and over and cringe at the idea of exploration into other areas, you're a casual.

Also, as far as the Wii's concerned. Yeah it's a casual game system, but it's single-player games can be pretty hardcore. Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Okami, Dragon Blade, Fire Emblem...

And I think hardcore gamers can and SHOULD sit back and appreciate some casual games. When I want to game but don't want to get too deep into story like with Lost Odyssey or something, I'll load up the Sims 2 or a short run with Wii Fit. Something easy you don't have to put a whole lot of thought into just to help take the stress of of the desire for actual progress in another game.

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2008, 12:35:07 PM »
Again I reiterate that I think Mario Galaxy proved the value of the purchase of the Wii (and am thinking more and more that Mario Kart Wii did too).

Unfortunately, I still haven't seen this revolution in gaming the Wii was supposed to bring. Either developers just aren't getting it, or Nintendo made it so hard to program accurate response with the thing that only they can do it.

I heard the Wii-mote is based off comparing 2 spots in virutal space to understand where you're pointing,turning the thing (probably having to do with the two sensors on the bar). That doesn't sound right to me. There should be more feedback than that. Maybe when I'm swinging the thing and it doesn't register -- well now I know why. The nunchuk also needs something other than a gyroscope to detect things.

It has alleviated or enhanced some areas, like Metroid Prime 3's excellent feel for Samus' arm cannon. In truth it's very hard to go back to the other Prime games and move the thing around with the analog. Mario Galaxy had less to do with the capabilities of the Wii and more to do with excellent level design and scenario concepts, but the mote did add a noticeable amount of interaction within its world. And Mario kart is that much better online.

But where are these promised 1-1 swordplay -- you know so that when I swing the damn thing it registers exactly that way for the sword in the game. Where's the official sports titles that could really put such mechanics to great use, and how come any that've tried often failed in some way? I want the nunchuk to be my shield or backup weapon; I want the Wii mote to be my physical-world connection to the onscreen events. I'll say it right now, the closest we ever got to this was Metroid Prime 3 and Wii Sports! (And maybe the rolly-ball thing in Mario Galaxy). This is a problem.

I want companies to stop being such pussies -- I don't give a fuck if they think it will tire us out. At least give us the damn OPTION -- the possibility of playing this way. The Wii has potential but everyone's afraid to use it right.

(On a side note, I'm keeping my eye on Conduit: it looks to get some good mileage outta the mote)

But, to be honest, I'm not impressed with any of these systems, and feel they still haven't delivered the next evolution in gaming.

Wii's at least trying to break the mold, but it's got a long way to go where third parties are concerned about programming for it.

/rant
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 12:36:38 PM by A N T R A X X »

"Observe their fates and learn well."

Offline CVfan13

• Devil Forgemaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Graveyard Duck
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2008, 02:28:22 PM »
In Reply To #21

God, I know what you mena, Clara. I hate it when people are so arrogant that they think the only purpose of games is to "Pwn the shit out of ther people". Games dont need to be multiplayer.

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2008, 09:37:50 AM »
In Reply To #21

As much as I hate super competitive dicks, I miss playing multiplayer games. At least multiplayer where the other person is in the same room. Online multiplayer can suck a big one.  :P

Wii's at least trying to break the mold, but it's got a long way to go where third parties are concerned about programming for it.

/rant

3rd parties have NEVER programmed as well for Nintendo's hardware as Nintendo has itself. The Game Cube might be an exception more recently, but the N64, DS, and Wii are all cases of this. Yes there are great 3rd party games on these systems, but very seldom do they take great advantage of the gimmicky hardware stuff.

Offline Gimph

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2008, 10:19:15 AM »
I've been totally dissapointed with Wii games. The only thing that really makes the Wii worth while for me is the online virtual console games. Which is bad considering that means that the Wii is only good for non-Wii games! Twilight Princess was crap compared to Ocarina of Time, Soul Calibur Legends totally sucked, and as for Metroid Prime 3, well, I prefer the original Metroid style 2-D side scroller games. Dare I say it-Nintendo has dissapointed me. :'(

However, I did enjoy party games like Wario Ware and Rayman Raving Rabids. I remember getting the Gamecube after years of N64 gameplay. It was so amazing-like-"Holy crap, this is freakin' awesome!"

The Wii was like that for about half an hour of Wii sports, then it was like, "Hey, let's go play Smash Bros. Melee!"
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 10:21:59 AM by Gimph »

Vermanubis

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2008, 01:50:41 PM »
I agree Gimph ;-;

Nintendo has shirked their prior greatness, and rejected the thought of video games being art forms (Which they truly are, the art, the interaction, the stories, the music, how could you NOT consider this an art form?) just so they could appeal to a wider audience.

Every franchise that was once great is now crap, Twilight Princess was horrible, it was easy, simple and repetitive, but pretty, Mario Galaxy was the same as Twilight Princess, and Metroid Prime 3, *sigh* biggest let down of them all. Easy, short, boring, and the exploration factors were severely lacking.

Also, I am a highly competitive gamer, but I don't act it. I love every sort of game; you name it, I've probably played it and loved it.

But the fact of the matter is, because of the ignorant masses flocking to Nintendo because of temporarily satisfying gimmicks, that Nintendo will perpetually dish out mediocre titles and gradually degenerate, along with the rest of the video game industry.

Offline CVfan13

• Devil Forgemaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Graveyard Duck
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2008, 05:13:53 PM »
In Reply To #26

How about Wizards & Warriors?  :o

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2008, 07:06:58 PM »
In reply to #13 & #16

That IP matches New Dracula's IP, cut the crap and quit impersonating someone else, grow some balls and confront said person under your own name.

PS: Multiple accounts aren't allowed on the boards.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 07:13:18 PM by Bloodreign »

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2008, 07:12:19 PM »
 :o

Looks like you better come forward and "defend" yourself.

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2008, 07:20:54 PM »
In Reply To #21
3rd parties have NEVER programmed as well for Nintendo's hardware as Nintendo has itself...

This is true, but it seems worse with the Wii. Nintendo istelf seems to be the only one that really understands how to make the Wii-mote fun.

Exceptions are: Zack and Wiki and the recent zapper games like Resident Evil: Unbrella Chronicles (both CAPCOM), but that's kinda a given use for the thing.

Of what I've seen of Conduit, it seems there's hope on the horizon, but even Camelot's We Golf came out wrong - and they make Hot Shots!.

Tags:

anything