Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: [Brainstorming Corner] If you were tasked with...  (Read 3498 times)

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
[Brainstorming Corner] If you were tasked with...
« on: May 11, 2012, 03:09:30 PM »
... converting the story of "Bram Stoker's Dracula" into a viable classicvania, how would you go about it?
"Stuff and things."

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
Re: [Brainstorming Corner] If you were tasked with...
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 04:55:29 PM »
+1
"Mssr. Harker, take with you this whip and silver blade. Many years ago a brave warrior fended off the Count with these."

"Be this blade really so powerful?"

"Yea, it is as I say. Go. God speed and remember -- extinguish the candles in the castle, for the shadows they cast hide many evils."

"And while you are toiling in the depths of the castle, I shall be spreading my seed of evil closer to home..."

God, I wanna fuck Winona Ryder so bad... Epic stalker crush of my youthful days....
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 07:26:50 PM »
Hmm... Tough call. I'd have to think about this one. But I do know from a story prospective that Quincy P. Morris is the only one here with Belmont blood, so Dracula must be killed by him. Also about his 2 year old son Jon Morris... I'd say that Dracula's Gypsies had kidnapped both Jon and Eric during the final confrontation at Castlevania. Dracula finds out about Quency's son and ordered his men to capture them as a possible insurance policy. This would help explain why both Jon and Eric were witnesses to the Quincy/Dracula showdown.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 02:54:48 AM »
... converting the story of "Bram Stoker's Dracula" into a viable classicvania, how would you go about it?

In terms of gameplay, it would be cool if you could switch (CV3 or PoR style) between Jonathan who would use guns, Quincey with a whip and Van Helsing with cool spells. Seward and Mina could be used as supporting characters who would... Heal you every once in a while or something.
For the story, it would be the gang chasing Dracula through various parts of England (Bloodlines' style) and then into Romania until the final battle.
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 10:59:34 AM »
In terms of gameplay, it would be cool if you could switch (CV3 or PoR style) between Jonathan who would use guns, Quincey with a whip and Van Helsing with cool spells. Seward and Mina could be used as supporting characters who would... Heal you every once in a while or something.
For the story, it would be the gang chasing Dracula through various parts of England (Bloodlines' style) and then into Romania until the final battle.

You forgot to mention Arthur Holmwood. He's got way more fighting experience then Johnathan Harker as he is nothing more then a solicitor. As far as we know Quincy never had the Vampire Killer in his possession and if he did it was never used (probably for the same reasons why Eric Lecarde and Jon Morris didn't want Johnathan to use it as well). But he did have a huge-ass Bowie Knife and mainly used a Winchester Rifle. But for Castlevania purposes I guess giving him the Vampire Killer would make us all feel a little more at home  :)
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 11:14:14 AM »
What about a game in which Jonathan has to escape from Dracula's castle (as a first part of the game)? With some hiding and stuff.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 11:52:50 AM »
Kinda like a prologue introductory that would help flesh out the first part of the game story? Harker would be forced to sneak around till he got outside of the castle. And if you were caught by one of Dracula's Gypsies or his Brides you'd have to start back where you began. kind of like it was in the movie as he made several attempts to escape but all had failed except for the final one with which he was successful.

Offline Fofa

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 10:33:14 PM »
All I know is that I wouldn't be basing it on the Coppola film. Not only was the gratuitous sex imagery distracting, but the added "reincarnation romance" with Mina and Dracula that the Castlevania series obviously took for its own canon derailed both of the characters involved.

Tags:

anything