Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: GameMaker or Multimedia Fusion? Why?  (Read 15336 times)

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« on: August 26, 2012, 09:38:11 PM »
 Which one do you prefer and why? If possible be specific, say the Pros and Cons, so that topic can help some people to make their decisions.

Well, I've been using Multimedia Fusion (The Games Factory, Kilk n' Play) for some years, I still a amateur in that because that I dont use it frequently, its very user friendly and almost anyone can do things on it easily with some practice. The standar engine that come with him is very simply, so its best if you do your own.

As I have seem some people saying, GameMaker looks much more powerful than MF, but with a price that its most difficult to learn, you need more time to undestand it. I cant say much more because all the times that I touched that program in the past, I only spent some minutes and closed it, but I plan to try again.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 12:35:31 AM »
Game Maker really isn't that difficult, but it does require more time to learn thoroughly, but it has a great Help file and a very helpful community to support it.
"Stuff and things."

Offline C Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2014-12-Quarterly 3D Contest 1st Place Award The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: GameMaker or Multimedia Fusion? Why?
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 01:40:58 AM »
Well, I've been using Multimedia Fusion (The Games Factory, Kilk n' Play) for some years, I still a amateur in that because that I dont use it frequently, its very user friendly and almost anyone can do things on it easily with some practice. The standar engine that come with him is very simply, so its best if you do your own.

Don't even bother with Multimedia Fusion 2
Instead go and check out Construct 2 (or Construct Classic), it's very similar to Multimedia Fusion only way better in many aspects. For example it's built in movements are actually useable.

I've never touched Gamemaker so I can't say anything about that software.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 02:09:28 AM »
Oh, I forgot to mention that GameMaker Studio has this kick-ass physics engine that cut's down on production time and resource usage to no end.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 06:20:04 AM »
I 2nd that for Construct2. Very nice program. Surprisingly deep visual programming and pretty quick to prototype in. The only reason Id say pick GameMaker over it would be if you intend to learn GML and do everything strictly in code thru scripts and code snippet actions

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 02:16:30 PM »
Which one do you prefer and why? If possible be specific, say the Pros and Cons, so that topic can help some people to make their decisions.

As I have seem some people saying, GameMaker looks much more powerful than MF, but with a price that its most difficult to learn, you need more time to undestand it. I cant say much more because all the times that I touched that program in the past, I only spent some minutes and closed it, but I plan to try again.
Multimedia Fusion 2 has a steep learning curve if you are just trying to piece together info on the net, videos that type of thing...but if you use the Intro to MMF2 pdf and stay posting on the clickteam forums, along with various MMF2 tutorials sites you can learn so many more advanced techniques and it's a pretty powerful program to do 2D, 2.5D, and 3D games. I hear Construct2 is basically a free version of MMF2 that's easier to understand, but I haven't dabbled in it to get feedback or a comparison. Gamemaker is prob the easiest to pick up and grasp of the bunch, I guess it all just depends on the project you are doing and what you are trying to do.  I notice alot of people able to throw games together quickly with Gamemaker. Don't for get about Unity too. It's becoming well known these days..also UDK is great for 3D games and it is free as well...what kinda of project are you trying to start anyways? Just for the record I am using MMF2 for my fan-game and my bud is on his way to getting a remake of CV3 done with it as well. Alot of "haters" of MMF2 come from frustration or lack of understanding with the tools (which yes, could be somewhat easier), but if you look of some of the quality of games on youtube from MMF2, they look amazing. In that aspect, I would take MMF2 over Gamemaker (in my opinion) I tend to see alot of "rush job" games made with that tool with all sorts of bugs.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 02:21:05 PM by darkmanx_429 »

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 02:36:21 PM »
Thanks everyone, its cool to see various opinions from different persons.
what kinda of project are you trying to start anyways?
If I really start something, I will try to do a MetroidVania game, I dont have a "real" project now but a remake of VK or CV2 with some improvements could be cool. To say the truth I created this topic because Im curious about your opinions since I barely touched GM and never used another program apart from MMF. But you guys are really helping, its good because if another user wants to know about that they only need to come here and read xD
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 09:15:02 PM »
if youve never worked on any kinda game before and are new to it all I definitely wouldnt try to start with a metroidvania or even a classicvania

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 12:19:05 AM »
if youve never worked on any kinda game before and are new to it all I definitely wouldnt try to start with a metroidvania or even a classicvania
Maybe not a metroidvania, but you could start with a simple NES Castlevania title of your own to learn the basics. Not that I am bragging, my first game with MMF2 is Vamprotector and I came pretty far switching from BoR to MMF2 not knowing a damn thing about the program originally. It is a pretty big undertaking for a 1st project, however because of it my bud and i are able to do smaller, less complicated projects much easier now.....

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 01:15:22 AM »
@Aridale
Yeah, I know that working with a new program can be difficult, the most important thing is start with the basics and all.

@darkmanx
Thanks dude, since I know atleast the very basic from MMF2, I think that I will stick with that for a while, atleast I will read a bit of that Help Files that come with GM since I already DLed it now.

Out of curiosity, there's anyone here that started a project in MMF2 and decided to migrate it to GM afterwards? I know that doesnt exists a "magical program" that does it, Im talking about doing it mannually. If so, you can tell your experiencies about that? Sorry for making strange questions xD
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 08:41:52 AM »
if your gonna try to stick with mmf you might as well just go with c2. Its really the next logical evolution of that kind of program and c2 if easily the best of its kind. The only reason to shy away from c2 is if you need to depend solely on exe export. c2 just (like last week) got exe exporting and its still really "fresh" if ya know what I mean.

If you wanna make a game to be played by anyone in a browser (including mobile depending on the complexity, not c2s fault but mobile browsers in general) then c2 is really the only option you have unless you wanna do it ALL yourself aka js and html5

if your aiming toward exe games then c2 isnt there yet and Id take GM8 or GMStudio over any other exe exporting program given the choice.

Im not tryin to steer you away from mmf Im just sayin dont pick it just because its what your more comfortable with at this exact moment

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 03:11:05 PM »
@Aridale
Yeah, I know that working with a new program can be difficult, the most important thing is start with the basics and all.

@darkmanx
Thanks dude, since I know atleast the very basic from MMF2, I think that I will stick with that for a while, atleast I will read a bit of that Help Files that come with GM since I already DLed it now.

Out of curiosity, there's anyone here that started a project in MMF2 and decided to migrate it to GM afterwards? I know that doesnt exists a "magical program" that does it, Im talking about doing it mannually. If so, you can tell your experiencies about that? Sorry for making strange questions xD

I have that intro to MMF2 pdf full version if you have a e-mail PM me and I will get you a copy. I will say if you do the space shooter tutorial in the book (about 8 hours if you go directly through it) then you will be making strides with MMF2 right off the back! It does go over how to make other games including platform games, but there are far easier methods and tools on the clickteam forums and online that would be much better for you. Once you complete that tutorial to make a full game you will be straight. I don't know why they don't include that pdf with all copies of MMF2. It's only for teachers that are using it for educational purposes...

anything