Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Give it to me straight: is Mirror of Fate a system seller?  (Read 27594 times)

Offline Eric Roman

• Arima Red
  • Vampire Hunter
  • THE RISE that Eric Roman has sent
    • EricTJRoman.com
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
'cuz Dracula's Curse, Super CastleVania IV, and Symphony of the Night all were, for me.   

(Portrait of Ruin, also, but I didn't realize I'd been scammed until I'd filled in quite a bit of Nation of Fools...amongst other stinging quality lapses I've moaned enough about...)

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
Re: Give it to me straight: is Mirror of Fate a system seller?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 01:23:18 AM »
+2
Nope.

It's an alright game, but it's easily the worst of all post-CotM handheld games.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 02:58:22 AM »
+2

No.

I like the atmosphere and most of the environments. Heck, I've even grown to like the soundtrack. But the game itself is really boring IMO. I can't really put my finger on it. It feels old but not in a good way. It's not a Metroidvania nor is it a Classicvania. It's.... Prince of Persia, really.

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 03:01:59 AM »
+2
Considering that the numerous amounts of checkpoints made death a non-issue, it's a no from me.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 03:09:01 AM »
+1
From what I've played...nope. I was anticipating this one, and still want to see how the story plays out, but I played it for an hour or so when it first released and haven't gone back to it yet. It's not bad, but I don't really feel compelled to play it right now, which is really odd for me to say about a Castlevania game.

It could be that I'm also finding less motivation to play a game on a handheld, too. My girlfriend always likes to watch when I play a game, and I can't do that with a 3DS. This would be my go-to game right now if I was dying to play a handheld game.

But yeah, so far, it's okay, but definitely nothing special.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Online Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 03:39:20 AM »
For me it was a bubble that burst. It was looking so much promising at videos, only to end something mediocre.
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 05:20:09 AM »
Nope.

Other games would be better called as system sellers like Pokemon for instance.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 06:12:56 AM »
+1
Nope.

The game is a snorefest, at least so far for me.
The environments are quite beautiful but it's dead platforming at best.  Whipswinging is scripted, climbing (which there's a LOT of) is basically 'avoid steam/enemies/fire as you climb', 'adventuring' yield pitiful rewards (Brotherhood Scrolls, Life Upgrades, etc.).

And in between those segments there are open rooms with a handful of enemies, on which the battle mechanic feels stale (block, y,y,y,y,y,y or block,x,x,x,x,x or some variation).  There is no crouching, just dodging and dodge/rolling.

The music is forgettable.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Eric Roman

• Arima Red
  • Vampire Hunter
  • THE RISE that Eric Roman has sent
    • EricTJRoman.com
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 09:20:31 AM »
Oh, MAN...!  Tragic!  It looked like so much fun in last year's preview videos...

At least there may be a potential gem or two in its swarm of MP3s whenever I come across it.  One thing that always failed less about CVs was the music. 

Thanks for all the impressions.

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 09:21:53 AM »
Much like Jorge said, I feel like the combat SHOULD have been so much better. In LoI and CoD, you still have to have proper maneuvering and combo sense (how much time to string which ones together vs what particular enemies). With this one, none of that exists. The characters fight virtually identical, and the combat boils down to mash mash mash, block. Mash mash mash, evade. Or for me, once I unlocked the auto combo where you hold down just X or Y, the combat got even more stale.

Ok whose the closet downvoter downvoting most of us who didn't say good stuff about MoF?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 07:50:03 PM by Phoenix7786 »
12/1/12: Nominated for my 1st award! Thanks to all :D

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 09:47:54 AM »
Definitely a big 'NO' for a system seller. And Jorge has already stated the reasons why.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, 10:00:23 AM »
Or for me, once I unlocked the auto combo where you hold down just X or Y, the combat got even more stale.
Auto combo? This is a joke right?
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 10:18:15 AM »
Nope.

If it wasn't for Capcom's sweet sweet promise of Megaman legends 3, I still wouldn't have gotten a 3DS.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2013, 11:26:18 AM »
While I enjoyed it for the most part it still left me wit anodd taste in my mouth. S I say with out a doubt no. But I'll say this get a 3ds anyway. There are so many good games beside this and if you want a good 2.5d game get shinobi. Mof  :( it's 50/50 with me.
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2013, 11:45:30 AM »
Auto combo? This is a joke right?

Nope. Once you get to a certain level, you just press and hold Y and he attacks, pauses, then twirls the whip/chain around him for 7 or 8 swings. And the X version is 4 or 5 hits, a stronger variety of the Y version.
12/1/12: Nominated for my 1st award! Thanks to all :D