Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Simon's Curse, metroidvania game based on Simon's Quest  (Read 94584 times)

Offline MooMilk

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure (GB)
Re: Simon's Curse, metroidvania game based on Simon's Quest
« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2016, 12:31:16 PM »
Whats wrong with it pausing the game? All menus do that in the igavanias.

Offline Wanhus

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2016, 03:12:49 AM »
There is prolly nothing wrong with pausing, I just have never coded one for a game.
Two ways I could make a pause that I can think of fast, first: Deactivating everything but then menus would not also work until unpaused.
Second: adding a deactivate function to almost everything then it would trigger when paused but would not affect the object handling menus etc.
Bad thing about the latter one would be that it would add a ton load of more extra work, first option on the other hand could be done in few minutes.
Never done a pause also did not see a reason to have one in this game but if you all want one I will add it.

EDIT: Also game up with a third idea that is prolly used in the other metroidvanias konami has made, still very laborious method.
Save the current game state, go to a different level that has the menus filling the whole screen, then when done selecting or what ever return the game state and leave the menu level.
At least this is how I imagine Konami's metroidvanias would work.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 03:28:37 AM by Wanhus »
"in the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king"

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2016, 07:56:44 AM »
EDIT: Also game up with a third idea that is prolly used in the other metroidvanias konami has made, still very laborious method.
Save the current game state, go to a different level that has the menus filling the whole screen, then when done selecting or what ever return the game state and leave the menu level.

Yep, I also always thought that its how it works. You would need to save even character, enemy and projectiles placement, state and animation frame. I wouldn't say the same about sound effect playback length because even SOTN doesnt do that, for example, if a enemy screams in his dying animation and you press start he will finish the sound anyway instead of interrupting it.

Surely, if someone more well-versed in this would share a better method it would be helpful to everyone. Since I can see this method easily giving headaches to a programmer or even bugging a more complex AI.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Wanhus

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2016, 09:51:34 AM »
Yeah easier method would be nice.
This isn't still anything hard in means of coding, but as i have told i have finished the engine.
So making massive changes to every object at this point would be very very laborious.
Just pause is easy to make deactivate all very very easy coding takes few minutes of time.
But then you cant use menu until deactivation is released.

Time flow thou is still paused. So that you can afk on a safe place like towns etc. while menu is open.
But as many items are now automatic and some items like the shield have their own key at least I have not needed constant menu switching.
I can thou ad even more use lots if needed prolly at least 2 more if needed, so if for some reason you need to use 3 items at the same time. =D
But if i add the two for keyboard using them will be tricky but this game is meant to be played with gamepad anyways like the original.

Offline MooMilk

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2016, 08:33:43 PM »
So it'll have controller support. That's good to know. I imagine it will support the 360 controller. I rememember playing games before the 360 controller came out. Game maker and rpg maker didn't even have controller support. Those times sucked.

Offline MooMilk

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2016, 03:54:02 AM »
I like what you're doing in your fangame, but look what this guy did with his.

http://imgur.com/a/kUrra

Offline Wanhus

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2016, 04:43:27 AM »
Those pictures don't show if his coding is good or how the game functions.
Also did not quite get what even happening in those images.
But yes he/she is a lot better at pixel art than me but I'm not a pixel artist.
I'm am a good coder thou.
So its hard to compare code with just images from the game or even what the game does. =(
But if you want better graphics its simple get some one very talented to help me.
I just try my best to make a good game and i did it long time a go but now all my time goes just trying to do some pixel art.
Sadly I'm not a pixel artist so it takes a long time for me to draw stuff and i cant with the experience I have draw that well =(

But thanks for showing me this few of the parallax backgrounds gave me ideas. =)

Offline MooMilk

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: October 31, 2016, 01:06:16 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpS4XQ1_cHw

Well, a video of it just surfaced. Dr Mario and Optomon do it again! Here's info on it:

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,22150.msg322216.html#msg322216

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2016, 02:38:18 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpS4XQ1_cHw

Well, a video of it just surfaced. Dr Mario and Optomon do it again! Here's info on it:

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,22150.msg322216.html#msg322216

Jesus Christ almighty I need this right the fuck now in my life.
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline MooMilk

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2016, 09:30:42 PM »
I misunderstood, this was by Optomon and Thaddeus.

Offline Wanhus

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2016, 04:01:26 AM »
Aaa its a rom hack so not that much coding.
Graphics looks nice thou but still its the same game underneath.
I'm not doing the same game with just new graphics.
At first i was not doing any new graphics at all as I don't find that graphics make a game.
Game makes the game, visual aspects are just the toppings of a cake.

But it is true that most people these days mainly care for graphics that why bad games sell very well. =(
There might be more chances to that game than graphics but so far i saw none, unless you want to count monster placement and block placement as awesome and new. 
But the graphics are far superior to my skills, very well done =)
And I would so love to own that games graphics combined with Simon's quest redacted on my nintendo as a pirate or bootleg or what ever peeps wanna call it.

But I don't wanna seem hostile or anything but it does kinda hurt when you are pouring your soul and free time you have to make as good free game as you can with the skills you got.
Then people keep posting about other games and talking in your post hos good those look compared to your game.
It does kinda make you feel depressed and that you have done all this work for nothing.
I'm sorry i just feel sad =(
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 04:09:44 AM by Wanhus »

Offline Wanhus

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2016, 10:50:02 AM »
Well i hope this ajiba woods parallax background looks nice. Ajiba woods is missing a lot but i just wanted to show the parallaxes.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2016, 12:04:37 PM »
I like these trees.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline MooMilk

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: November 01, 2016, 02:36:58 PM »
Nah, this fangame has it's place. The level layout is a faithful recreation of 2 with improvments. Personally I like special editions of games and would like to see this kind of thing done more. That other hack is going for all new levels so it's not the same thing. If he didn't change the levels then that'd be a different story.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2016, 09:59:59 PM »
There is prolly nothing wrong with pausing, I just have never coded one for a game.
Two ways I could make a pause that I can think of fast, first: Deactivating everything but then menus would not also work until unpaused.
Second: adding a deactivate function to almost everything then it would trigger when paused but would not affect the object handling menus etc.
Bad thing about the latter one would be that it would add a ton load of more extra work, first option on the other hand could be done in few minutes.
Never done a pause also did not see a reason to have one in this game but if you all want one I will add it.

Pausing is simple. This is in GameMaker? If so the function for deactivating all objects has an argument called "notme". If you set that to true it doesn't disable the calling object. So you can continue your pause menu routines without having to worry about absolutely everything shutting down. If it makes things simpler you can make a separate object to handle the pause stuff on it's own, too.
"Stuff and things."

anything