Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: On the possible origin of Glyphs  (Read 2556 times)

Offline comeau

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« on: January 15, 2021, 04:38:47 PM »
Being that I've been preparing for a more open-ended fan project set around/preceding the events of OoE, I've been doing a deep dive into the series lore surrounding the origins and nature of magic in Castlevania; and also the mystical traditions from which the series draws from.

In the process, I've inadvertently developed a theory or explanation regarding the possible origin and nature of the Glyph System in-universe, which I hope to present in a similar vein as theplottwist's excellent essay on the nature of Chaos' first form. Unfortunately, I've been limited primarily to whatever English language sources I've been able to find, so I can't quite confirm if my hypothesis holds up to the Japanese text of the original games - but feel free to correct me if there's something I've missed.

Ultimately, though, this very well might just be a lot of conjecture - but nevertheless, let me know what you think.

(click to show/hide)

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 06:54:55 PM »
The above hypothesis reinforces my own understanding of the Glyph system, from a functional perspective (hoe the operate in-universe rather than in-game).

The way I interpret glyphs relate bank to Plato’s “Idea”. The glyphs are metaphysical representations of power which exist in another realm/ layer of existence beyond our own.
You have a chair in the real world for instance, there are multiple variants and even in a production line, each becomes slightly different due to the waking world being imperfect by nature. Whereas in the realm of the Idea, ‘the chair’ itself is perfect. Essentially the chair which exists in the realm of the Idea is the essence of all chairs in the waking world. ie it’s symbolic and metaphysical, like a glyph.

The uniqueness with glyphs being that they don’t only represent something, they contain an essence which is ‘imprinted’ from their source. (I also like the idea that it’s taking something inherent in nature of those creatures and using that against them.)

What I like about this interpretation is that it grants an explanation for there being hundreds or thousands of generic enemies (bats, skeletons, mermen etc) and for those generic creatures, having only 1 glyph per enemy type. Reinforcing that the more powerful and rarer the creature, the less common the glyph, with Dracula’s being the least common and existing in 3 separate components. 

It’s really quite fascinating.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^