Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Super Castlevania 3 Project--Progress Report  (Read 190644 times)

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
  • Whoa dude!what a horrible night for no beer.....
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
Re: Super Castlevania 3 Project--Progress Report
« Reply #360 on: December 26, 2014, 12:43:46 PM »
Well i'm not sure with tilesets..i do try to represent the levels..but in some cases enhance them..which leads me to believe..that many times..it will take various elements from differnt games..or even at times custome artwork to fill the void. I hear you on trying to make things not clash..For me it will all depend too on custom artwork..because at some point..i will probalby add in thigns hear and their. Sometimes from 1 or 2 games..you will not be able to get all of what your looking to do..in some cases..it will require custom work.

Taking Edward Scissorhands to a whole new level!

Offline Jop

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
  • Awards 2017-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2017-12-Holiday Sprite Award First Place 2016-04-Story Contest - 1st place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Gold 2015-05- Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #361 on: January 03, 2015, 10:58:26 AM »
oh man! pachislot alucard in moving ;D this great, great job, Job, xD and thanks for the video Las :'( xD lol ... by the way Job, how about a little glitter in her hair, you can use the middle tone hair color Alucard SOTN, only a recommendation...

I dont see a problem but if someone think its looks bad the hair I can change to looks more like SotN, still need fix for example when he is in the stair and use the shield looks awful.

Offline FanOfDracula

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2016-02 Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #362 on: January 05, 2015, 05:16:25 PM »
anyway, this very good  ;D, continuos well

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #363 on: January 09, 2015, 06:14:12 PM »
Hey Thanks Dracula for the support. Yeah me and Jop have been working at stuff. I've been talking too with Kax too so iim' making some progress. This game is taken a long time..but i am going to have to shift to coding fully in gml soon. I think making tweaks to some sprites is next priority then that. I wanna get to the point where all i have to do is learn code and bang that out with everything else complete. The biggest thing i'm concerned is cna i get help porting to studio. This would be a hugh factor..in terms of making things easier. The game shold be able to handle more that way and effects use of shader much easier. Gm8 still has got some very nice areas to it..but i do think studio would be far easier to work in.   

This next bit sorta kills me.. i heard MKF project died and someone is still going to port that? It's a pretty popular fan game..with 20 people i can't imagine why it wasnt completed???..but overall..i think if no one picks it up..why port it? we could use the help porting... I 'll have to talk to this individual and see if our game could be ported.

Offline Jop

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2017-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2017-12-Holiday Sprite Award First Place 2016-04-Story Contest - 1st place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Gold 2015-05- Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #364 on: May 09, 2015, 06:21:08 AM »
Here are some Screen shots that i take to show to you:

(click to show/hide)

click this link to see more:

http://drameloch.deviantart.com/gallery/53995196/Super-Castlevania-3

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #365 on: May 11, 2015, 03:54:21 PM »
Very nice..Jop..nice screenshots! ;D

Offline Jop

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #366 on: June 02, 2015, 03:55:19 AM »
Looks good! mmmmmmmmmm

Thanks, still we have to do a lot of works and i hurt badly my right hand so make sprites its not a good option now, im learning how to use the left XD.

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #367 on: November 06, 2015, 07:34:33 PM »
 :D Hey forum goers, we havent posted anything for a while because progress had been slow. As of recent Lanforse has also joined our team as lead code. He's done a tremendous job thus far.we do have some footage we're ready to post up. When we have more we'll post them up as we feel accordingly too.  Enjoy!

-Here is a video of Lanforse coding in Drac form2 by Plottwist. Notice that the heads can only be attacked once at atime(not all at once) which was Lanforse idea!

Dracula2 by Lanforse and Plottwist:

-Here are some various cv maps we've been able to put together. Maps by zappasoft and Kaxblastard.

Various Cv maps:

Here is a neat handshake system devolped by Lanforse. Enjoy!

-Here is a variation of Warakiya. I decided to make it a bit darker,medieval looking. I still need to rework something such as stair placement, and some other concepts i plan to add. Their maybe a variaion or two left.

Warakiya Test A:

-Mad Forest with some new retiling to be a bit more modern. Also notice that we've changed the hud around a bit to be

more of a classic feel as well as icons for each skin.

Mad Forest reworked:

-Here is an example of a fix on alucard i've managed with code. He now not only has 1 way shot but also 2 and 3 way

aswell.

Fixed alucard cv3 classic 1,2 and 3 way shot upgrade:

Enjoy ;D!!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 12:42:51 PM by Las »

Offline ProjectDread

• Vampire Hunter
  • Nightmare Class Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #368 on: November 06, 2015, 10:33:51 PM »
Hey Las, this might be a problem with the forum but I'm not able to view the embedded videos you posted.

Offline FanOfDracula

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2016-02 Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #369 on: November 07, 2015, 12:07:11 AM »
hey hello Las, how long it is good to hear from you, all sounds great 8) but I too error mark videos. how have you been? :D and sorry again :P

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #370 on: November 07, 2015, 10:47:38 AM »
Yeah i'm not sure. I tried http https and even [youtube] thing in the top right corner. Nothing seemed to work in terms of embedding. I'm not sure if the forum coding changed..the last time i posted vids..they worked fine without me having to do anything..I"ll have to look into that or ask Jorge. Fan of Dracula..were you Dracula before? Yeah i'm doing good.

Offline ProjectDread

• Vampire Hunter
  • Nightmare Class Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #371 on: November 07, 2015, 11:52:06 AM »
So I watched the videos through your YouTube channel. I'll post some feedback / thoughts I have:

*I'd suggest looking into using different recording software for your videos. A lot of parts on your videos look like they're running sub 30 FPS. It makes things appear as if they're in slow motion. For example, on Warakiya Village you have a section with primitives and parallax backgrounds at work, it seems to have severe and noticeable drops in performance. Does the game just run like that, or is it the quality of the recording?

*You have some interesting concepts for stages, but I think a lot of them have too much going on in the background. I'm going to use Warakiya Village again here, but I notice you have a mixture of primitives and 2D parallax backgrounds scrolling in the background. It's certainly a fun idea, but in my opinion there is so much going on at any given point in time I always feel incredibly distracted. There's rain, all-too frequent bursts of lightening both in the sky and on the stage itself (which causes the screen to flash), people running around, a wolf, 3D houses, 3D plains, fire... there's so much going on! I think showing a little restraint with the use of all of these special effects would greatly improve the look and atmosphere of the stages, as it seems like a lot of it is there just for the sake of being there. Just my two cents.

*Almost every fangame ever is going to have this issue to some extent, but there are a lot of clashing graphics in all of your stages. A lot of tiles that don't quite fit are often placed together, and sometimes I noticed the background work seemed sort of cut and pasted together. Not really a big problem since this is early in development, but some polish on the stage designs and tile placement would certainly improve the look.

*The long vertical room inside the church is a neat idea and reminds me of SoTN a bit, but perhaps the graphics could be tweaked to be more inline with the aesthetics of the SoTN tilesets used?

*It's really bizarre seeing an IGAVania-styled Alucard being in the same room as this tall, slow-walking barbarian of a Belmont. It's made even more apparent as Alucard and Sypha both have a light jog as they move around but in contrast you have Trevor who literally trudges along but manages to maintain the same speed. In my opinion, these two art styles are very distinctive and do not work well together at all.

*You may not have gotten around to putting in sounds yet, but I believe it'd make a big difference in the presentation of your videos.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #372 on: November 07, 2015, 12:41:17 PM »
*Almost every fangame ever is going to have this issue to some extent, but there are a lot of clashing graphics in all of your stages. A lot of tiles that don't quite fit are often placed together, and sometimes I noticed the background work seemed sort of cut and pasted together. Not really a big problem since this is early in development, but some polish on the stage designs and tile placement would certainly improve the look.

I believe I have mentioned this before somewhere, but I'll do it again:

As ProjectDread said, the graphics do clash a lot. However, the solution I offer is to have the game obey a consistent palette.

You may choose to not follow this advice if you wish, but having a cohesive palette helps a LOT in masking the graphical clashes that appear in these fangames.

I have done several palette tests involving different graphics and I can say that once everything obeys the same palette, a big chunk of your graphic-clashing issues will be gone (provided that the tiles are detailed enough, that is. Palette tricks can't fix clashing between 8-bit tiles and 16-bit tiles, for instance).
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #373 on: November 07, 2015, 10:16:59 PM »
My apologies for not being able link the vids earlier. For some reason my pc or this site won't allow me to re-save the correct link format. It could be my pc having issues..but i can't save. You'll have to just look onto the youtube channel until i can fix it. Sorry.

-To start out i'd like to add that i'm shopping around for a new pc. Its out of date and i need to upgrade. It's  possible that is why there is slowdown in the vids, it could be the program Camstudio i believe. IF their are some  blur areas it is either the program or fast moving rain effecst that cause this problem. The trees do cause some slowdown and i planned on replacing them.

-Their maybe somethings in general i could pull out. But having things in the level adds depth and realism to it. Something i think people forget. Perhaps too much..but again some of these elements fit to a level in seige which is what i wanted to represent. The lighting effect i've already mentioned has it's issues along with the rain. I have had no luck in finding another rain/lighting effect yet that feels more accurate and doenst flash as much. That is based randomly. IF i can find one..i'll defintly put that in.

-The long vertical room was coded by snidr,and the backgrounds i talked over with jop that i put in. I think he liked those too. I could change those to be even more Cv3 ish..but i have to find a combo. Remember this is a fan game it doesnt have to be exaclty like the original or identical to it. So long as it's representing it i think it's fair game. Also just copying sotn room is just not going to do it. It's an entirely differnt game.

- as for the players..i think they are fine. Perhaps some speed of attacks could change and such. As i talked with eryson i'm tying out some new things with grant..nothing is set in stone. I still have the older version. I am however looking to tweak things however. As for the others players..i think they all very much fit the model for a cv3 remake. Personally up to now i havent really had much complain on choice of models or reworks.

- as for the sounds..i can't do much i'm still runninng off a vista computer.Hence the need to upgrade.Something i must soon do.

As for graphical clashes, i understand what your saying. I do realize i should keep things more light and dark..maybe contrast a bit better or a consistent pallette. As for pallette's up until recently i wasnt made known they are used that way. I assumed pallette's were mainly for actual sprite models. Gaming atm is a bit complex..because i've had no previous experience with this or taken any classes. I shoudl probalby pursue a class or two to get a better feel for things. I'd prefer to keep things more contrasted.

My own personaloveriew:
Overall perhaps there is a bit much going..i'm not sure i felt it was all overkill..i could dim things down a bit by plucking some stuff out. I'm certainly not dumping evrything.At times it almost seems like people like levels where their isnt too much going on lately and i'm not sure why. Personally i like to see things going on in a level,wether background or direct involvement. perhaps i could do a better job of that in terms of depth..but eh.  It's personally why i sorta ditched the older level. It was just too plain and not enough involvement. Actually i was going to say i thought i did pretty decent with this level perhaps needing to be more polished. For the first time i could say i felt more involved with it. I  epsecially liked what i did with the medusa room, making it more into a town with a mill pulley system and water mill turn wheel. Certainly the houses on fire seem to fit nicely during a seige,and enemies attacking villagers that sort of thing. As for the other vids. i really think Lanforse did a nice job on the drac2 aswell as handshake system coding.IV'e also got some nice feedback on the cvmaps on youtube aswell.

Offline eryson

• The Fangaems Connoisseur
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: DraculaXX (SNES)
« Reply #374 on: November 08, 2015, 04:17:18 AM »
Well, i think the people are just concentrating the Feedbacks in the areas what Really need Feedback, seeing that all of these are very construtive. The other ones (like the mad forest, the handshake and the 2nd Drac) are naturally fine.

Tags:

anything