Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Is it possible to use an external hard drive for extra RAM?  (Read 6278 times)

Offline CastleToastM

• Toast Fan
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Waffles are pretty great
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (NDS)
I want more CPU and memory, and all that, and I was wondering if it was possible to use an external hard drive for that.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Is it possible to use an external hard drive for extra RAM?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 06:26:43 PM »
+1
No*

And by No*, I mean 'not really'.
I'm sure others can elaborate, but the only way you can use a hard drive for memory is by installing it as your main drive and increasing its Page File Size" in Windows.  However, this is what Windows calls "Virtual Memory".  When your REAL memory (the microchip kind that's in your computer called RAM) is full, Windows uses a part of your hard drive for what's called "Paging".  Paging is storing files you're currently using in a easy-to-recall location.  MOST of the time, it's in RAM, but when your RAM is full, Windows opts to use your main drive.

It is FAR SLOWER than regular RAM so it certainly doesn't feel 'fast'.

You cannot use an USB drive for memory or for paging, because the overhead done to access the drive via the Universal Serial Bus (USB) is generally a lot slower than the overhead done on your own main drive, especially if your main drive is a newer SATA drive (the older IDE drives, I believe, are still a faster method than USB).

If you want to have more things running smoothly at once, you want to increase (or even maximize) the RAM in your system.

Other factors that affect this include your Operating System:  A 32Bit OS like WindowsXP 32bit only allows a maximum RAM of about 3.5GB in your system so even if you maximized your RAM to something higher, if you don't have a 64bit OS, you don't really benefit from the extra RAM.  A 64Bit OS (such as Windows7) allows much more RAM to be used.

My advice is to find out how much RAM your system's OS and motherboard can handle, and upgrade to that amount.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 06:28:14 PM by Jorge D. Fuentes »
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline CastleToastM

• Toast Fan
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 04:10:07 AM »
Huh, I didn't really know about that stuff. I'm rather glad I asked, now I know.

My advice is to find out how much RAM your system's OS and motherboard can handle, and upgrade to that amount.

My computer is a 64bit, and it's a windows. If I want to maximize it's RAM, how would I go along doing that?

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 06:04:05 AM »
+1
You would need to figure out, based on the computer brand it is and model number, what its maximum RAM expansion capacity is.

This is easy if you built the PC yourself as you would probably have your motherboard's model number handy.
It's also easy if you bought the PC off of a main PC company, such as Dell, HP, etc.
You can, using the PC's model number (the exact one, not an approximation), and the computer's website, find out the possible expansions, how many you've got, and how much you can expand to.

For example:
Say you have a Dell Inspiron 9200 Laptop (an oldie but goodie).
You go to the Dell website and look for the Inspiron 9200's specs.
In there, it would say something like "Installed RAM  - 512MB.  Expandable to 2GB".
It also helps if you have a service tag for your PC, which you can enter into websites like HP and Dell and they'll know exactly what's ticking in there, and how you can upgrade.
Usually those websites have RAM Expansion Modules (RAM Chips) which you can install yourself by turning the PC off, disconnecting it, opening it up with a screwdriver, and inserting them.  Instructions for that are everywhere on the internet but also in your PC's manual (or the website manual).
Again, this is just an example.

Not just any ol' RAM Module would work, either.  It has to be somewhat-specific to the PC's capabilities.  That is, some older computers only take DDR2-RAM, while newer ones take DDR3.  Again, a service tag or a model number help tremendously there.

I used Dell as an example 'cuz a long time ago I had to upgrade my system RAM for that laptop.  It's a little easier for laptops than desktops as there's a hatch under the laptop that you open for that.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline CastleToastM

• Toast Fan
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 06:05:02 PM »
Is it something like

HP Pavilion g6-1b39wm Notebook PC

Is that the brand and number I'm looking for?

You can, using the PC's model number (the exact one, not an approximation), and the computer's website, find out the possible expansions, how many you've got, and how much you can expand to.

Like, www.hp.com?

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 06:36:47 PM »
+1
Right!

HP.com's website for your product is this:
**Clicky**

Hardware
Product Name   g6-1b39wm
Product Number   LW363UA#ABA
Microprocessor   1.6GHz VISION E2 Technology from AMD with AMD Dual-Core E-350 Accelerated Processor
Microprocessor Cache   1MB L2 Cache
Memory   4GB DDR3 System Memory (2 DIMM)
Memory Max   Maximum supported = 8GB    ((((((((((((((((((((((((((((THIS IS THE VALUE YOU'RE LOOKING FOR - Compare this value with the value your system has)
Video Graphics   AMD Radeon HD 6310 Discrete-Class Graphics
Video Memory   Up to 1973MB
Hard Drive   500GB (5400RPM)
Multimedia Drive   SuperMulti DVD Burner
Display   15.6" diagonal High-Definition HP BrightView LED Display (1366 x 768)
Network Card   Integrated 10/100 Ethernet LAN
Wireless Connectivity   

802.11b/g/n WLAN

Sound   

SRS Premium Sound with Altec Lansing speakers

Keyboard   Full-Size Keyboard
Pointing Device   Touch Pad with Multi-Gesture Support and On/Off Button
External Ports   

Digital Media Card Reader for Secure Digital and Multimedia cards
    3 Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0
    1 HDMI
    1 VGA (15-pin)
    1 RJ -45 (LAN)
    1 Headphone-out
    1 Microphone-in

Dimensions   14.72" (L)x 9.65" (W) x 1.20" (min H)/1.43" (max H)
Weight   5.22 lbs
Security   
    Kensington MicroSaver lock slot
    Power-on password
    Accepts 3rd party security lock devices

Power   
    65W AC Adapter
    6-Cell 47WHr Lithium-Ion Battery

What's In The Box   HP Webcam with integrated digital microphone

Software
Operating System:
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium

Security and Support:
Free 60-day Norton Internet Security 2011 Subscription
HP Support Assistant; HP Power Manager
HP Setup Manager; HP Recovery Manager
LoJack Theft Protection (Link In Start Menu)

Multimedia:
HP Games powered by WildTangent: includes 5 free games valued at $100 MSRP.
Cyberlink PowerDVD 9 (41)
Cyberlink YouCam BE
HP Music Store powered by Rhapsody (15c); HP Movie Store powered by RoxioNow (15d)
Snapfish Picture Mover; eBay (Link on desktop)
Walmart Photo Center
Productivity and Finance:
Microsoft Office 2010 preloaded (purchase of a Product Key required to activate a full Office 2010 suite) (34)

Windows Live Essentials 2011: Windows Live Mail; Windows Live Messenger; Windows Live Photo Gallery; Windows Live Movie Maker; Windows Live Writer; Windows Live Mesh
Internet Solutions:
Internet Explorer 9
HP Connection Manager
Bing Bar
Blio eReader application with full color: includes 4 free digital books valued at $75 MSRP.

So yeah if the Memory MAX is 8GB and you have 4GB installed, and it has two DIMM slots, then it's likely that you either have one 4GB DIMM Chip (unlikely) or you have two 2GB DIMM Chips (probably more likely).

In order to upgrade to the maximum RAM, which is 8GB, you have to purchase two Notebook 4GB DDR3 Chips.  Install each on each slot, and when you turn the system on, Win7 will notice your extra RAM.  It's awesome to have 8GB of RAM.
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline CastleToastM

• Toast Fan
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 12:25:44 PM »
Oh, okay. I need two 4GB DDR3 Chips. I think I'll search for ebay for one, then get the other one later.

Thank you so much, this definitely should help.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 05:36:40 PM »
You wanna use Newegg.com or Amazon.com, not eBay.  You don't want used/possibly-defective RAM.
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline CastleToastM

• Toast Fan
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 07:18:39 PM »
You wanna use Newegg.com or Amazon.com, not eBay.  You don't want used/possibly-defective RAM.

Oh, okay. I looked around on ebay, but I haven't ordered anything yet.

So you'd recommend that I look for new ones on Amazon?

Something like:

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Information-DDR3-1333-SO-DIMM/dp/B00863R0TW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1343614764&sr=8-4&keywords=4GB+DDR3+Chips

Tags:

anything