Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: MOVIES  (Read 119203 times)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2012, 04:45:32 PM »
I've never actually seen one of H.G. Lewis's films but I remember Joe Bob Briggs spoke very highly of his work. Not much of a gore hound myself. I don't go out of my way to see or not see it but like anything else it can get obnoxious when poorly or overly utilized.

Ah, gore's my game. Nothing quite like a good gorror flick. Sometimes if a movie sucks but the effects are keen, I can say, "Well, at least it had some nice gore!" (And/or boobies.)

But sometimes you get flicks that try too hard and are just bad all over. A recent example being Piranha DD. Enjoyed the remake, but this sequel to it is awful. Hated the jokes, the effects, and all's about all the good I can say about it is, "The boobs were all right." Well, and Ving Rhames' character was still pretty funny.

But yeah, reminded me all too much of Chillerama. These movies are how NOT to do horror comedies.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 04:48:38 PM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Ravvie

• Ooh, bacon!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2012, 05:42:17 PM »
Watched the most recent Muppets movie last night. It was pretty funny, light hearted stuff. Which is nice, really, because yesterday I was feeling pretty miserable and needed something to cheer me up.  I might consider getting it for one of the kids I used to babysit; it's the type of movie her parents probably would be okay with.
That awkward moment when you have no idea what to write in a signature.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2012, 07:37:24 PM »
 I never watched a muppet movie, but I loved the muppet babies cartoon.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2012, 08:40:21 PM »
I haven't seen the first two Muppet movies in forever, but I loved them as a kid, and I'm pretty certain I'd still dig 'em now.

That said, I was thoroughly unimpressed with the latest one. :( But that's just me; my friends seemed to really like it.

I just did a rewatch of The Cabin in the Woods. Really inventive movie that has fun with a lot of horror conventions.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2012, 05:59:57 PM »
Watched The Great Muppet Caper and The Muppet Movie so many times when I was a kid and a teen. I snagged my parents' copy of The Muppet Movie and it's sitting in my VHS collection in my apartment.  The old Muppets were the best. R.I.P. Jim.  :'(
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2012, 11:33:55 PM »
Just watched "The Night Stalker" film that led to the "Kolchak: The Night Stalker" TV series. It was very good for a 1970s TV movie, which partly explains why it was the highest rated TV movie in history when it came out.
I just hope I can somehow soon learn to disassociate the character of Carl Kolchak from Darrin Mcgavin's other famous role, the dad in "A Christmas Story". ("You can't be out reporting and hunting vampires, if you get hurt who's going to take Ralphie to see Santa?") Got a chuckle when the same "heavy object dropped in lap" joke is used in "The Nightstalker", only it was books instead of a bowling ball. The Vampire was kind of lame with a bad moptop but I've seen way, waaaay worse. And this was the era of "Dark Shadows" after all.

Going to watch "The Night Strangler" the second tv movie that was made before the series, sometime soon. But I can already tell you it's not worth the roughly $130 amazon wants for a new copy of the out-of-print 2004 double feature DVD. It usually goes for about $30 used in the real world (seriously amazon wtf) but I was able to catch a good listing that had just been made and paid half that for the movies and show together.

No doubt both will be reprinted when the planned Johnny Depp/Disney remake gets off the ground.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 11:54:17 PM by Ratty »

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2012, 12:28:14 AM »
Last night ended up downloading and watching all 4 Die Hard movies. I found out they're working on a fifth one and I'm pretty hyped about it. Read the wiki about the series too, interesting how they're all based on unrelated novels.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2012, 08:37:47 AM »
I love all those movies. My fav by far is the first one tho. Such a good movie. Ive always liked Bruce Willis too. I really like the Lethal Weapon movies too

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2012, 06:50:36 PM »
Lethal Weapon is a classic. I'm sure Hollywood will bastardize it with a remake in the near future.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Beaumont_Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
    • Haunted Pixels
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2012, 11:11:02 AM »
I just watched Blade: Trinity because I grabbed one of those DVD multipacks and it happened to be in it. Pretty terrible, and Ryan Reynolds just twists the knife in the wound.

On the other hand, I saw Dredd last week and it was really good.
He's back! The man behind the mask!

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2012, 09:15:24 PM »
I just watched Blade: Trinity because I grabbed one of those DVD multipacks and it happened to be in it. Pretty terrible, and Ryan Reynolds just twists the knife in the wound.

On the other hand, I saw Dredd last week and it was really good.

What's funny is how long they took to introduce Dracula in that series when Blade was originally a side character from Marvel's Dracula comics. Then when they do introduce Drac, he's nothing like the classic Marvel incarnation.

Watched Mr. Moto Takes a Vacation the last 1930s Mr. Moto with Peter Lorre as the Japanese secret agent/detective yesterday, was pretty good.
Might watch the 1960s Henry Silva vehicle The Return of Mr. Moto tonight as a lark since it's on the same disc. I say as a lark because they didn't even get Moto's nationality right in the trailer "He's the swingin' Chinese cat with 900 lives! Who knows everything there is to know about how to kill a rat!" indeed.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 09:18:38 PM by Ratty »

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2012, 12:40:43 AM »
Like the previous number of years, I've been doing an October Horrorthon. But also like previous years, I've barely watched any so far and am not likely to watch a whole bunch, making it...not much of a marathon at all. I think the most I got in a month was 14. Meanwhile, a buddy of mine is very near to 100. Wtf...

Here's what I've knocked out so far, followed by my ratings for them (with "RW" signifying a rewatch):

Halloween (1978) - 5/5 (RW)
The Haunting in Connecticut - 3.5/5 (up half a star because Elias Koteas is a badass)
Night of the Living Dead (1990) - 4/5 (Blu-ray version which has a pretty controversial transfer due to heavily altered, DP-approved color timing)
Dear God No! - 4/5
Halloween II - 4/5 (RW) (up half a star because of how amazing the anamorphic photography is)
Halloween III: Season of the Witch - 4/5 (RW) (same as above)
The Frighteners - 3.5/5
It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown - 4/5 (RW)
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 - 3.5/5 (RW)
Black Sunday - 4.5/5 (RW)
Night of the Living Dead (1990) - 4/5 (RW with friends, this time the VUDU HDX download for PS3 since it has the original color timing; I kinda like the look of the Blu-ray more)
Mother's Day (1980) - 3.5/5 (RW)
Leatherface: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre III - 3/5

Most of those on Blu-ray.

More to come.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 12:42:27 AM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2012, 05:40:57 PM »
I never did see Prometheus in theaters, however I did finally see it when I bought the DVD. Talk about weird s**t. While some people will say the story is weak others will claim the cinematography is excellent. I personally enjoyed it and it didn't leave a sickening lump in my throat as did AvP: Requiem *Cough!*hospital scene*Cough!*. So after that I watched the original "Alien" and then watched "Aliens". I effectively call these three movies the "LV-426 trilogy" as they all take place on that particular planet. Unfortunately the film does raise more questions then it answers as internet blogs have stated, but never-the-less I'm okay with it as is.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2012, 02:49:13 PM »
Like the previous number of years, I've been doing an October Horrorthon. But also like previous years, I've barely watched any so far and am not likely to watch a whole bunch, making it...not much of a marathon at all. I think the most I got in a month was 14. Meanwhile, a buddy of mine is very near to 100. Wtf...

Here's what I've knocked out so far, followed by my ratings for them (with "RW" signifying a rewatch):

Halloween (1978) - 5/5 (RW)
The Haunting in Connecticut - 3.5/5 (up half a star because Elias Koteas is a badass)
Night of the Living Dead (1990) - 4/5 (Blu-ray version which has a pretty controversial transfer due to heavily altered, DP-approved color timing)
Dear God No! - 4/5
Halloween II - 4/5 (RW) (up half a star because of how amazing the anamorphic photography is)
Halloween III: Season of the Witch - 4/5 (RW) (same as above)
The Frighteners - 3.5/5
It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown - 4/5 (RW)
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 - 3.5/5 (RW)
Black Sunday - 4.5/5 (RW)
Night of the Living Dead (1990) - 4/5 (RW with friends, this time the VUDU HDX download for PS3 since it has the original color timing; I kinda like the look of the Blu-ray more)
Mother's Day (1980) - 3.5/5 (RW)
Leatherface: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre III - 3/5

Most of those on Blu-ray.

More to come.

You're doing much better than me, aside from Hellsing Ultimate 1-4 I've hardly watched anything Halloweenish this month, that'll teach me to get a half-month early start lol.
Rewatching Sleepy Hollow now and in retrospect this movie was basically the beginning of Tim Burton's serious downward spiral. In and of itself it's not too terrible, but Burton's working through of daddy issues by shoehorning-in or reworking characters to represent himself started here. Though it's nowhere near the appalling level seen in his later work.
This film also marks the cementing of the Hot Topic evoking "Burton look" that he's not strayed from since, aside from the hilariously misguided but enjoyable 2001 reboot of Planet of the Apes. "Sleepy Hollow" is a decent whodunnit and Johnny Depp gives a fun performance as the squeamish Ichabod Crane, but it's nowhere near the level of Edward Scissorhands, Pee-wee's Big Adventure, Batman '89 or Ed Wood.

Think I'll rewatch Freaks and Masque of the Red Death later, haven't seen them in years.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 03:01:50 PM by Ratty »

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2012, 06:30:15 PM »
I actually love Sleepy Hollow. But really only the first parts. The entire feeling of the town and areas is amazing. Once the action starts to pick up I can take it or leave it. Still all around a good movie tho.

Tags:

anything