Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania Chronicles II : Simon's Quest  (Read 7259 times)

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2021-07-Music Contest Silver Award 2018-06 Music Contest Runner-Up 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest First Place 2015-03-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Castlevania Chronicles II : Simon's Quest
« on: October 31, 2022, 01:44:01 PM »
Hi all!  So, i've been working on this since around the 2nd week of July this year and i've kept it under wraps until now.  I wanted to be nearly done before announcing it.

Features;

Updated graphics
I'm not a pixel artist by any stretch hahaha, but i did make a custom Simon to match closer to the box art.  Many of the backgrounds were photoshopped from SOTN but more so the DS titles.

Mansions
Each mansion is different.  I didn't want to go the route the OG did with just having a recolor and platform placement.  Each one is unique.  Also, each mansion has it's own boss fight before getting the remains.

Text
Left the same incorrect spellings from the original hahaha

Currency
I did away with using hearts for the currency and added a dedicated gold pickup for buying items/weapons.  The hearts will be used for subweapons and items only.

World Map
Pressing select on a gamepad will bring up a map showing you the game's layout.  No more guessing which way to go!

Remixed OST
Of course, i had to remix the OST.  All the OG OST is there, as well as a few others to add from other CV titles.  I set up the music system so you wouldn't be looping bloody tears through the whole game.  The "wilderness" music loops until you reach a village, then the village tune plays.  The wilderness tune loops until you complete a mansion.  Upon completing a mansion, a new song plays.

Controller Support
Any PC controller that supports XBOX drivers is compatible with the game.  Controls are classicvania at the core; A is jump, X is attack, Up+X for subweapon use.  Vibration support added as well. 

Subweapons
The Axe and Cross were added.  Also, picking subweapons has been streamlined; pressing the LB and RB will cycle through all available subweapons.

Day/Night cycle changes
The game will progressively change from day to night as you complete it.  As you progress, enemies become tougher.

Save & Load support
No more password system.  A save and load system has been added.

Endings
The game has 2 main endings depending on how you progress.  I can't disclose the spoilers, but make SURE you talk to EVERY villager in each town!  Some will have some very valuable info for you.

HP system
You wont level up like the original, but after each boss fight a health max up will drop that increases your overall max HP.  There are also health max up items hidden throughout the game.

I'm sure i'm forgetting something lol, so anything that's been left out i'll make sure to update.  Feel free to drop any questions and I'll get back to you ASAP.

I'll be sending the game out for beta testing VERY soon.
But enough talk, HAVE AT YOU!!!!!!!!

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
Re: Castlevania Chronicles II : Simon's Quest
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2022, 05:44:34 PM »
+1
Forgetting something? lol.

(click to show/hide)

PS. I helped War Machine a little when he contacted me about said project  ;D
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2022, 05:50:17 PM »
double tap to run? pls?
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2021-07-Music Contest Silver Award 2018-06 Music Contest Runner-Up 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest First Place 2015-03-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2022, 07:45:32 PM »
Forgetting something? lol.

(click to show/hide)

PS. I helped War Machine a little when he contacted me about said project  ;D
Well shit lol, i didn't wanna spoil it but, yes, its there!  ;D

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2022, 07:46:00 PM »
double tap to run? pls?
You're the first that has mentioned this.  May not be a bad idea  8)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2022, 09:50:39 AM »
Well shit lol, i didn't wanna spoil it but, yes, its there!  ;D

Woops! Sorry dude  ;D

I can also see that having a run capability will make the journey less tedious. It might also be helpful during boss fights.
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2022, 01:12:23 PM »
Woops! Sorry dude  ;D

I can also see that having a run capability will make the journey less tedious. It might also be helpful during boss fights.
Hahahaha, it's all good dude!  8)

Offline SabinFigaro

• Hunter in Training
  • What a horrible day to go to work..
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2022, 02:35:18 PM »
Hey BMC my man,

you're in the news dude????https://exputer.com/news/games/castlevania-ii-simons-quest-remake/

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2022, 09:27:30 AM »
Hey BMC my man,

you're in the news dude????https://exputer.com/news/games/castlevania-ii-simons-quest-remake/
;D Hell yeah!

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2022, 06:13:25 PM »
UPDATE;

I ran the full game through my gaming PC, since this would be a good test to see how the game responds to another PC.  I found some issues along the way, thankfully very VERY simple ones and NOTHING game breaking.  I took note of each issue as i found them.

Yesterday,  i knocked out a good majority of them.  Just a few minutes ago, i completely wiped them all out.  The game (as i play it or have found) is bug free  :o

At the moment, it is exclusive to using a gamepad, any xbox compatible/or recognized for xbox 360 drivers is fully compatible.

I'll be compiling all the emails i got for beta testers (i have a metric fuck ton to dig through) and i'll be sending it out tomorrow for the official testing.

Things to do while i wait on tester feedback;
implement fully independent keyboard/gamepad support
create "bad ending" fmv
update "good ending" fmv text scroll to make more legible
remix a handful of tracks; i've gotten even better sounds since the start of this so there are a few that need some attention haha

I'll make sure to keep you folks posted.  8)

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2022, 03:46:05 PM »
Hey folks!

I have a question; what would you all think would be a good length for a demo to release to the public?  I'm thinking playing either up to Berkeley Mansion or being able to end it AFTER you beat Berkeley Mansion.

I've been working on bug fixes and say for something that i haven't seen myself, i have fixed everything that my testers have pointed out issues with.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2022, 08:37:43 AM »
I'm thinking playing either up to Berkeley Mansion

This sounds like a good suggestion for a demo of the product in question. If there are any more bugs the people here will find 'em  ;)

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2022, 03:46:31 PM »
Sounds good dude!  I've already got it sent out for testing to about 30-40+ people now lol.  It's nearly polished enough for release, at the very least a demo.  Wont be much longer now!  8)

Offline The Puritan

• Vagabond
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2022, 05:00:09 PM »
I have a question; what would you all think would be a good length for a demo to release to the public?  I'm thinking playing either up to Berkeley Mansion or being able to end it AFTER you beat Berkeley Mansion.

Every mansion has a boss, right?  Then I vote after Berkeley. Many demos end with a boss fight anyways.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2022, 08:51:52 AM »
Now that I read it again I agree. Berkeley mansion bossfight, then end the demo.

Tags:

anything