Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Another Castlevania Add On  (Read 7602 times)

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« on: December 08, 2022, 05:17:00 PM »
I saw this earlier and wasn't sure if it's been already posted. Not sure what the original game is but thought I'd share.

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/12/08/castlevania-is-back-discover-dead-cells-new-dlc-return-to-castlevania/

Offline Kamirine

• Welcome to Fright Night.
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2022, 06:26:17 PM »
…Guess I gotta pick Dead Cells back up.  Pretty neat crossover this time.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2022, 09:19:45 AM »
I have to admit, I've never hear of Dead Cells until now. I just checked out the playthrough videos and it has caught my attention. Now, having a bit of Castlevania thrown into this makes it sound more interesting.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline knightmere

• Lord of The Abyss
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2022, 12:53:24 PM »
Dead Cells is an awesome rogue lite that is extremely challenging. I haven't play it in about year, but this DLC sounds freaking amazing. Apparently there is going to be 51 Castlevania music tracks included!

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2022, 05:44:05 PM »
The screenshots look sound and intriguing, got me interested.

However, not a fan of the jokey-a$$ animation, although the quality is fine, I’m not sure what they were going for, as I’ve never associated Dead Cells with childrens comedy.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2022, 08:45:31 AM »
Of all the recent cross-overs, this seems the most like playing an actual Castlevania game. Just bought the game and tried it out and found the combat to be pretty satisfying, so this should be fun. We'll finally get a taste of rogue-like Castlevania levels and the first Castlevania console platforming we've had in years. Something to tide us over until the next "real" thing at least.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2022, 09:12:15 AM »
And that's only 'IF' Konami gets their @$$es in gear.
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Reinhart77

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2022, 09:37:32 PM »
Ack, I see that in the past you had to already meet certain criteria before you could play the DLC chapters. I'd better try to get far into the game now so that I'll be ready to play when Return to Castlevania comes out. Hope I get good enough at it so that I can actually reach the Castlevania themed stages in the first place, though I'm a little worried now.  We'll see exactly how they decide to handle it.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 09:39:47 PM by Reinhart77 »

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2022, 12:09:33 AM »
Oh damn, good to know. I'll need to do the same at some point.

Dead Cells has been on my radar for a while, but I just haven't checked it out yet. I'll have to get it soon. It's on PS Plus, so I really don't have an excuse not to at this point.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Reinhart77

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2022, 06:33:39 AM »
I hope they let you play some of the Castlevania music in the background of the earlier stages before you even get to the Castlevania stages so we can enjoy our purchase a little while trying to reach them.

Offline Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2022, 02:36:54 AM »
Not really a fan of roguelike-focus style and no plans to follow the game altogether. Maybe my mind would change when it gets a very huge discount.

I'm more interested in how the Castlevania IP would be treated in the future. Maybe I will finally rest in peace when they released a brand new Castlevania game that fills the ultimate plot hole: how exactly Julius and his comrades fought in 1999.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 02:38:26 AM by Aceearly1993 »
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015-05- Digital Art Contest 1st Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2022, 04:51:50 PM »
Dead Cells is a very well done mix of Castlevania and Dark Souls in 2D. You gotta be okay with dying to learn and advance.

I never finished it but should probably pick it back up now that this DLC is coming out, assuming it's not too expensive.

Offline Reinhart77

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2022, 09:05:18 PM »
I saw they made an update 5 months ago that can make the game easier. I'm no longer worried I might not be able to get to the Castlevania sections. I'll give it the good college try with the default settings, but good to know the assist mode is there if I need it.

https://apptrigger.com/2022/06/26/dead-cells-breaking-barriers/

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2022, 09:07:45 AM »
You gotta be okay with dying to learn and advance.

This kinda sounds like the game Hedes. I never got really far into it because of its play-style. Although it's quite funny at times I just couldn't bring myself up to finish it due to the way it was designed.

I saw they made an update 5 months ago that can make the game easier. I'm no longer worried I might not be able to get to the Castlevania sections. I'll give it the good college try with the default settings, but good to know the assist mode is there if I need it.

https://apptrigger.com/2022/06/26/dead-cells-breaking-barriers/

Very noice! This'll make it far more accessible to anyone. Games with very specific play-styles are also very limited in of themselves, and thus only reaches a handful of players. By giving these games a bunch of options to change the gameplay difficulties they become more widely accessible and can reach out to a far wider audience. That means good things for the company too as it brings in far more profit then limiting the game to a very narrow demograph. Not everyone's a hardcore gamer, and it's a safe bet that casual gamers outrank the hardcore crowd by a big margin.

Offline Reinhart77

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2022, 12:08:47 PM »
I was looking at a list of Castlevania related Captain N episodes, and had to chuckle when I saw the title "Return to Castlevania". Wonder if we'll see any more Captain N references lol.

Tags: