Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1815874 times)

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #4710 on: February 20, 2013, 01:08:22 PM »
Wow, the video game industry is merciless, and Castlevania is apparently still on a very tight leash and a shoe-string budget. According to this new article with Cox, Mirror of Fate is the ONLY reason Mercury Steam is still going, and by proxy, the same could be said for Castlevania, I gather. I can't believe it's come to this, where a name like Castlevania is as disposable/irrelevant as the Bubsy series.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/02/castlevania_mirror_of_fate_kept_mercury_steam_afloat

PS: Anyone else concerned with the timing of Mirror of Fate's release? It's kind of a dead time for buying games, the hype has sort of fizzled with the delays, some big 1st party titles like Luigi's Masion 2 are right around the corner, and it's on 3DS, which doesn't necessarily have a huge pro-Castlevania install base. (For a large amount of 3DS owners, this might be their first exposure to Castlevania, and they may pass over it because they have no recognition of it). I'm not saying Vita would have made a difference by any means, but I am wondering about the synergy between Castlevania and 3DS. Though, the other issues I raised are just as, if not more, relevant.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 01:14:28 PM by RichterB »

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #4711 on: February 20, 2013, 01:40:47 PM »
Mirror of Fate is the ONLY reason Mercury Steam is still going? Sure.
The same could be said for Castlevania? Nope.

Reading this article the only thing that seems diposable/irrelevant is MercurySteam, they are using Castlevania as a foothold to continue climbing and dont fall. We only need to expect that the next 2 games will be enjoyable and wait for LoS end so another person can continue working in the main Castlevania history.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Akuma

• GILGAMESH FAN KING
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4712 on: February 20, 2013, 01:46:26 PM »
Most seem to hold disdain because it isn't a bonafide replica of SotN esque games.  As for game releases, there isn't much else for March besides Castlevania and Luigi for me.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #4713 on: February 20, 2013, 02:05:26 PM »
+1
No, I only want a game that continues the main story. I dont want it to be made by MercurySteam because I disliked their story and think it is distorted in various ways, like they did with Dragon Ball Evolution, Resident Evil and so many other movies.

Obviously various persons liked it, being because of the gameplay, because of the story or both. I liked LoS as a game, not as a CV game, to me its a good game but completely distorted as a CV one.

Maybe MoF can be better and make me like it, that is what I expect at least.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Akuma

• GILGAMESH FAN KING
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4714 on: February 20, 2013, 02:13:41 PM »
I don't really like how the main story of Castlevania played out.  Lament of Innocence basically had a powerful Vampire Walter just kinda be "there".  And they brought mysterious stones of power into play.  And I really didn't like that at all.

And for me I rather disliked the anime or cartoonish style that Portrait of Ruin and Dawn of Sorrow went after, much less Soma fulfilling the Dracula game was underwhelming since I didn't really feel like Dracula.

Course reading BERSERK has me have absurd expectations.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 02:15:28 PM by Akuma »

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #4715 on: February 20, 2013, 05:12:25 PM »
+2
Castlevania is apparently still on a very tight leash and a shoe-string budget.

Thaaaat's Konami! *laugh track*

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #4716 on: February 20, 2013, 05:18:30 PM »
+3
I was playing Belmont's Revenge today

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4717 on: February 20, 2013, 05:28:45 PM »
Someone have seen the Playstation Meeting 2013? They have shown the PS4
PlayStation Meeting 2013: Watch Sony's PS4 Event Live
That is the best video right now, since they have finished the live show right now
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 05:51:41 PM by Lelygax »
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #4718 on: February 20, 2013, 05:36:11 PM »
Mirror of Fate is the ONLY reason Mercury Steam is still going? Sure.
The same could be said for Castlevania? Nope.

Reading this article the only thing that seems diposable/irrelevant is MercurySteam, they are using Castlevania as a foothold to continue climbing and dont fall. We only need to expect that the next 2 games will be enjoyable and wait for LoS end so another person can continue working in the main Castlevania history.

I, personally, want to believe Castlevania is relevant, and I believe it can be. However, the LoS series has arguably been the most visible Castlevania entries in quite some time, and yet the "Castlevania" name isn't registering with the top industry players of today. I agree with what you said, how it's a distortion like Dragonball: Evolution, but even though something more to your or my liking aesthetically/gameplay-wise may come, that doesn't automatically mean Castlevania will become more relevant again. I'm very surprised, though maybe I shouldn't be, to hear from this article how Castlevania is sort of hanging on the availability of Mercury Steam right now. Like, if Mercury Steam folded, they wouldn't have a gameplan for the franchise in place. It clearly isn't even close to relevant to Konami in comparison to Metal Gear...though, the sad part there is that I think Metal Gear is becoming less and less relevant in industry terms.

Someone have seen the Playstation Meeting 2013? They have shown the PS4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZVzmVklhQ8
That is the best video right now, since they have finished the live show right now

This show was depressing. I don't like the way the industry is going very much at all. I think this console will be a hard sell in the current economy.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #4719 on: February 20, 2013, 05:36:55 PM »
Kind of unrelated though but im guessing that thing WONT be lower than $500.

This however caught my eye and it's kinda related, look at the bottom left.

Hmm...

« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 05:38:28 PM by Kingshango »

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4720 on: February 20, 2013, 05:45:38 PM »
Kind of unrelated though but im guessing that thing WONT be lower than $500.

This however caught my eye and it's kinda related, look at the bottom left.

Hmm...

Huh. Totally missed that. Good catch.

But let me just say, this press conference kind of showed that the video game industry is going "all in" in trying to be VR/interactive Hollywood vs. making "games." At the same time, the other trend is fracture games to the lowest common denominator and let people play in a sandbox of developer tools--almost like an Adobe Photoshop system. I don't see either of these trends as healthy, and they contradict one another in business strategy. The latter is for amateur artists/developers and casual crowd, the former is for hardcore gamers; but the model being presented is more abstract than Nintendo, making it a hard sell at what will undoubtedly be a crazy price point. I'm guessing two models, with the high-end version with the whistles and bells going between $700-$800, the lower end between $500-$600.

How is the industry/economy going to support the development of these games and thus consoles? And what is going on with branding? The "creativity" has suddenly gone 90+% dystopian. (And has been trending that way since the post-PS2 era).
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 05:50:49 PM by RichterB »

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4721 on: February 20, 2013, 05:54:30 PM »
If someone find a video showing the controller and the videogame, please share it here. I losed this conference too. :(
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #4722 on: February 20, 2013, 06:02:27 PM »
Lords of Shadow 2 to be cross gen..?  :o

Everything comes full circle

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #4723 on: February 20, 2013, 06:05:09 PM »
Consoles costing several hundred dollars isn't anything new; I remember the Sega Saturn's launch price was about $400. They've always been expensive since the early days.

MercurySteam is prolly making the next Contra game [after LoS2] for PS4, which is why they're on that list. Cox hinted at this in various interviews~

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4724 on: February 20, 2013, 06:10:12 PM »
+2
MercurySteam is prolly making the next Contra game [after LoS2] for PS4, which is why they're on that list. Cox hinted at this in various interviews~

I should be hopeful, but that sounds like a nightmare in the making.

Tags: .....?