Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1815976 times)

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #4770 on: February 21, 2013, 02:32:13 PM »
Impressions from videos:

-The Lost Soul is strangely adorable with its pantomime in Simon's Story trailer. I'm convinced it's the Poltergeist King of the LoSverse.
-Glad to see many details that point to an overall more spooky atmosphere than LoS. Especially the minimalistic piano during the "Entrance Bridge" area.
-Even though some attacks look heavily telegraphed... LOOK AT THA DAMAGE!
-Environments look gorgeous and the lighting seems to have been improved in spots.
-Menu music and death jingle are both nice touches.

Suddenly want this game much more badly than previously thought.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #4771 on: February 21, 2013, 02:35:11 PM »
+1
Well I think it's safe to say that we know who gave Trevor his second chance.

Offline Zetheraxza

• Vampire Hunter
  • Romantically Justified...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #4772 on: February 21, 2013, 08:05:15 PM »
Scroll at 10:41...

What could it mean? Who could it be?

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #4773 on: February 21, 2013, 08:15:06 PM »
^We have a man with eagle eyes here^
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Bergaron

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
« Reply #4774 on: February 22, 2013, 12:50:16 AM »
^We have a man with eagle eyes here^

Not really.

1) Go to the URL in youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MbtErSTWO7k#t=0s
2) Change to 1080p HD quality on the button of the nut (bottom right)
3) Expands the screen with the largest square (below left) not the full screen, the middle.

Already have the perfect size and looks so good.

The Demo.
-----------
I've played and I have to say it is better than I expected (I explain below), for those who never test a demo of MOF say that the graphics of the youtube videos do not come close to the final result seen on the screen. The graphics are awesome but the 3D effect is even more impressive and that can not be seen in the video. Many laugh much of Dave Cox for his statements about using the 3DS for its 3D effect instead of the Vita. They have worked hard 3D, is one of the few times that the 3DS lives up to its name.

I did not think that the 3DS could have these graphics, but it seems that the machine is very to limit, the framerate is correct but not super fluid (i think 25 fps, maybe at some point 30 fps) is enough to play but with a pure 2D graphics have not had problems in the 3DS and I'm sure they would have also been very good game (MS Graphic artists are very good). I think this game on the PSPVita had shown its full potential (but of course without the excellent 3D). Hard to believe it may have put all those textures, animations and sounds on the 3DS .. but I think too forced, but finally have made it playable (next time do it in 2D .. and you will not have so many problems ...) Example: 3DS - Code of Princess - Awesome Launch Trailer

The limitations of the machine ...

- The scenes between levels are cartoons made ​​with the game engine because they did not have enough memory to get videos. (final version not in demo)
- Music has less quality and variety than LOS1 but for the same reason memory space, I am a fan of the music of LOS1 but I admit that in this game the classic Castlevania music would have been perfect and would not have had so many problems with memory.
- And some of the character animation is forced or cut, but small details.
- The E3 2012 demo was fine .. but framerate had many problems in my opinion about 20fps. fixed as best they can (cut animations, music and anything else rumored) but again I think the project was too ambitious as a whole for the 3DS.

Day one for me!! With the 2012 E3 demo had more than doubts but not anymore with this demo.

I expected a game of 7/10 for the problems they had in development to get the engine to run on 3DS. But after having played this demo, I think it will be a game 8.5/10, not give more score for what I said earlier. It is very good game, in the top 5 of the 3DS (for my personal taste is in the top 3 xD).

I'll play and enjoy it because the story looks exciting.. but for next Castlevania 3DS back to pure 2D ... In the Vita would have no problem with the 2.5D.
"He who fights monsters should beware, lest he become a monster himself"

Offline Little Dracula

• Castlemaniac
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4775 on: February 22, 2013, 02:03:11 AM »
Played it once and I really liked it but the game is so slow, the combat, the jump, it's so slow, it's going to take sometime to adjust to the game for me, specially when I'm going to play Ninja Gaiden 2 on VITA before I get the game. Graphics are great and even if I don't care about the 3D effect, they have done a great job.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #4776 on: February 22, 2013, 03:07:02 AM »
Cox ranks SotN fourth as his favorite Castlevania game. I can't help but be a little suprised.   

Offline Bergaron

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4777 on: February 22, 2013, 03:11:30 AM »
Well in this point i agree with Cox, SCII, SCIV, LOS1 are my 3 top, i like Soth (i´m playing now) but not my top. You know, there are millions of colors, each choose the one you like

Jejeje The old days were great, but it's time to move a little. Combat, graphics and history more complicated, in that sense great reboot Konami

Castlevania: Rondo of Blood 100% in 40:10
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 03:32:57 AM by Bergaron »

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #4778 on: February 22, 2013, 04:40:20 AM »
Wheres my PS3 version with 3D TV support?

Also, super lame, no North American demo until the 28th. You all got my hopes up, and confused me as I couldn't find it earlier. What's with the region locking, and non-world wide releasing of things? This is 2013. Region locking is so GBA.

Offline Bergaron

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4779 on: February 22, 2013, 05:16:27 AM »
Wheres my PS3 version with 3D TV support?

Also, super lame, no North American demo until the 28th. You all got my hopes up, and confused me as I couldn't find it earlier. What's with the region locking, and non-world wide releasing of things? This is 2013. Region locking is so GBA.

Yes, it is strange, do not understand why Nintendo did not put the demo America online as happened in Europe, I guess they wanted to further enhance the demo of Monster Hunter 3 and not divert attention.

They had no excuses or language or content, the demo will be exactly the same. But you can not complain, in NA are going to have the game on the 5th of March and in Europe on March 8 (which also did not understand ..)

Alternative history of MoF  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Castlevania I and II In Brief

Hahahaha  New Castlevania combat style have old school XD.
Alucard Vs Richter
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 08:34:13 AM by Bergaron »

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #4780 on: February 22, 2013, 11:32:55 AM »
Ok, i was having some problems with my PC, but now i'm back. Yes, i have never played before a 3DS demo, so i didn't knew that they are like this. Now, about the game and the demo, i have to say that it is better than i've been expected. Great 3D graphics, the combat style is very nice, i like it more than LoS, but i have 2 complains to say, first the jumping of the character seems a little stiff and second, i think that even on a 3DS XL, still the screen it's too small for such a game. Now, about the music, it's not what old series have given us, but still what i have heard, isn't that bad. Also the music that plays at the unholy church sounds like the one from LoI that plays on the stage selection floor.
Prologue to the Black Abyss - Castlevania Lament of Innocence OST
Ruler of Chaos

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #4781 on: February 22, 2013, 01:42:53 PM »
+2
So, I've been reading and watching...not playing MoF. I even watched Cox's guided commentary on the Demo. It seems to me that MoF has a lot going for it, yet has one fundamental and very fatal flaw. Combos. I know Cox and company want to modernize Castlevania and keep it in line with LoS1, but the combos fundamentally change the entire experience in a "love it"-or-"hate it" sort of way. It seems to me that the game's flow and progression is "padded" by what essentially are Double Dragon/Final Fight-style beat-em-up bouts against even the least of foes. I find this counter-intuitive to the game design as a whole.*

As an aside, my other issue, more of a nitpick, is the use of swinging over gaps with the whip. It looks to be very much "on-rails," where you automatically hook onto the nearest grappling point with the press of a button. If we're emphasizing a return to platforming, you have to make this more manually controlled and dynamic; otherwise it becomes little more than a neat-looking but ultimately hollow visual change-up. It's not the proudly proclaimed return of the Super Castlevania IV mechanic by any means.

By the way, I noticed a Bernhardt reference in one of the Demo scrolls. Let the name drops commence!

Outside of that, I think they did a better job of atmosphere and art direction than LoS1, and attempted to link the action and platforming a bit more. Unfortunately, I'm not sure everything's going to mesh because of those persistent combos.

*Ask yourself this--put that mechanic in another Castlevania game. Does it add to or detract from the flow of gameplay?

Simon's Quest--"Got to get over this bridge and reach that mansion...but these 30-hit Mermen keep getting in the way. Oh, no, here comes that Horrible Night for a Curse business; now they take 50 hits!"

Castlevania III--"I've got Grant, now we just have to go down the Clocktower. These skeletons and their 20-hits make me wonder if I'm ever going to reach that map screen again. And here comes the knight...with even more hits."

SotN--"Boy, these wargs sure do take a lot of hits. 10, 20, 30 . . . how many hits does it take? There. Did it. Wait, another warg?! I'm just trying to get to the next room with Death, will you please cut to the chase!"

...Sometimes trends aren't universally helpful. Just my thought on it.

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #4782 on: February 22, 2013, 01:59:46 PM »
So, I've been reading and watching...not playing MoF. I even watched Cox's guided commentary on the Demo. It seems to me that MoF has a lot going for it, yet has one fundamental and very fatal flaw. Combos. I know Cox and company want to modernize Castlevania and keep it in line with LoS1, but the combos fundamentally change the entire experience in a "love it"-or-"hate it" sort of way. It seems to me that the game's flow and progression is "padded" by what essentially are Double Dragon/Final Fight-style beat-em-up bouts against even the least of foes. I find this counter-intuitive to the game design as a whole.*

As an aside, my other issue, more of a nitpick, is the use of swinging over gaps with the whip. It looks to be very much "on-rails," where you automatically hook onto the nearest grappling point with the press of a button. If we're emphasizing a return to platforming, you have to make this more manually controlled and dynamic; otherwise it becomes little more than a neat-looking but ultimately hollow visual change-up. It's not the proudly proclaimed return of the Super Castlevania IV mechanic by any means.

By the way, I noticed a Bernhardt reference in one of the Demo scrolls. Let the name drops commence!

Outside of that, I think they did a better job of atmosphere and art direction than LoS1, and attempted to link the action and platforming a bit more. Unfortunately, I'm not sure everything's going to mesh because of those persistent combos.

*Ask yourself this--put that mechanic in another Castlevania game. Does it add to or detract from the flow of gameplay?

Simon's Quest--"Got to get over this bridge and reach that mansion...but these 30-hit Mermen keep getting in the way. Oh, no, here comes that Horrible Night for a Curse business; now they take 50 hits!"

Castlevania III--"I've got Grant, now we just have to go down the Clocktower. These skeletons and their 20-hits make me wonder if I'm ever going to reach that map screen again. And here comes the knight...with even more hits."

SotN--"Boy, these wargs sure do take a lot of hits. 10, 20, 30 . . . how many hits does it take? There. Did it. Wait, another warg?! I'm just trying to get to the next room with Death, will you please cut to the chase!"

...Sometimes trends aren't universally helpful. Just my thought on it.

First, i respect what you are telling and believe me, i was like you, until i tried the demo. After that, i've changed my mind about many things, including the combat combo system and believe, it doesn't have to do anything with LoS, it's looking to fit perfect mirror of fates and for the lessen enemies, you have moves that they can take them down in 2-3 seconds. Music, while not what we have seen in past titles, still offer and fit the areas, giving you a chilling i dare say feeling. Until you tried it for your self and have your own conclusion, no matter what i'm going to tell you or others, will suffice you.
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #4783 on: February 22, 2013, 04:47:26 PM »
I'm a firm believer that sometimes what looks bad could /feel/ good, and the esence of gameplay is feeling good. If MoF fails at that, then fine. But I'll give it the benefit of doubt until playing it. That being said, yep, it gives me a beat em up vibe I DON'T like, LoS didn't seem like this, did it?

Everything comes full circle

Offline C Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2014-12-Quarterly 3D Contest 1st Place Award The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #4784 on: February 22, 2013, 05:20:48 PM »
I played the demo
strangely the only time the combat felt right for me was during the boss fights, most other times it felt off some how and the Castle is way too empty but I get the impression it's that way to make things seem a little creepier, I dunno.
Overall it seemed okay but I'm not going to be rushing out to buy it.

As an aside, my other issue, more of a nitpick, is the use of swinging over gaps with the whip. It looks to be very much "on-rails," where you automatically hook onto the nearest grappling point with the press of a button

I was pretty surprised by this, I accidently skipped the on screen directions and spent a while whipping at the flashing point thinking I must be just missing it before I realised you only need to press a single button to zip straight to it.

Tags: .....?