Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1815810 times)

Offline Akuma

• GILGAMESH FAN KING
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #4800 on: February 23, 2013, 11:11:26 AM »
I think Simon defeats Gabriel but something happens at the end since many more Belmonts supposedly fight Gabriel in the future.

Trevor fails, but Alucard and Simon together prevail.

Offline Bergaron

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
« Reply #4801 on: February 23, 2013, 11:51:45 AM »
I think Simon defeats Gabriel but something happens at the end since many more Belmonts supposedly fight Gabriel in the future.

Trevor fails, but Alucard and Simon together prevail.

Yes, I recognize that is a real problem if Simon dies. No known family or children. It would be the end of the Belmont clan (do not think Alucard can have children, this is not Twilight).
But in turn, this trilogy is a "side story" to the "official story" and ends with LOS2, does not have to be generations of Belmonts fighting with Dracula.
In the video LOS2 Gabriel appears in medieval times with all his power, and the only one that appears to deal with the is Alucard, not Simon .. and I think that happens shortly after the end of MoF, Simon survived??
"He who fights monsters should beware, lest he become a monster himself"

Offline Akuma

• GILGAMESH FAN KING
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4802 on: February 23, 2013, 11:56:12 AM »
LoS2 takes place in modern times.  Gabula has been resurrected or is still alive but he lost most of his power and must regain it(he also has amnesia).

As you progress through the game Gabula will experience flashbacks of his past of him fighting past Belmonts and Alucard.

Also the Bernhard Castle rejects him as master, and he hides away in some isolated church and will likely have to defeat Satan again.  And possibly Zobek.

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #4803 on: February 23, 2013, 12:15:50 PM »
+3
It's kind of sad that Kojima is the only guy in Konami who has (or is allowed to have) creative visions of any kind.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 12:20:07 PM by Munchy »

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #4804 on: February 23, 2013, 12:24:59 PM »
As you progress through the game Gabula will experience flashbacks of his past of him fighting past Belmonts and Alucard.

I think it was said that Dracula has been asleep/in isolation for centuries, prior to his reawakening in present time. So I'm thinking Simon was the last guy to fight & defeat him.

Offline flyingchai

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #4805 on: February 23, 2013, 01:03:14 PM »

Also the Bernhard Castle rejects him as master, and he hides away in some isolated church

Per a question that I asked Cox about 2 years ago on his Twitter, that isolated church is actually what's left of the castle.
My guess is that after Dracul was defeated and knocked into a coma, The Brotherhood probably built the church around Dracul's destroyed tower with the intention of sealing him in there.

I think it was said that Dracula has been asleep/in isolation for centuries, prior to his reawakening in present time. So I'm thinking Simon was the last guy to fight & defeat him.

Per Cox this morning, *ALL*of LOS2 takes place after MOF, including the flashbacks. So all those moments in the LOS2 trailer happened after Simon faced him in MOF...and he still looked pretty powerful.
Simon must not have fully succeeded either; if Simon died, he must have had a child before the quest.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 01:05:29 PM by flyingchai »
http://flyingchai.deviantart.com - My art here is usually CV inspired
http://www.twitter.com/flyingchai01 - Tweeting more and more lately

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #4806 on: February 23, 2013, 01:50:33 PM »
Help: I'm confused about resolution of Regular 3DS vs. 3DS XL. Does XL have one pre-set resolution that basically blows things up and makes them more jaggy/blurry? Isn't there at least a screen adjust to choose between resolutions, so you can go back to the Regular 3DS resolution for some games? This has really slowed me down from getting a 3DS. I like the idea of playing on a bigger screen, but if that means I will always be playing the games bigger than they were designed for, and thus they lose their integrity, I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Offline Bergaron

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4807 on: February 23, 2013, 02:22:19 PM »
Help: I'm confused about resolution of Regular 3DS vs. 3DS XL. Does XL have one pre-set resolution that basically blows things up and makes them more jaggy/blurry? Isn't there at least a screen adjust to choose between resolutions, so you can go back to the Regular 3DS resolution for some games? This has really slowed me down from getting a 3DS. I like the idea of playing on a bigger screen, but if that means I will always be playing the games bigger than they were designed for, and thus they lose their integrity, I'm not sure if it's worth it.

No, forget it, it looks absolutely perfect, I thought long ago that XL had the same problems that once had the DSi XL. But no, everything looks perfect, I bought myself a 3DS XL two days ago (I could not wait to pack monster hunter XDD) and before had a normal 3DS. If you can buy yourself the 3DS XL.

Attention VIDEO SPOILER (many videos of gameplay, some show too much xD):
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 02:26:32 PM by Bergaron »

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #4808 on: February 23, 2013, 02:38:55 PM »
So, I've been reading and watching...not playing MoF. I even watched Cox's guided commentary on the Demo. It seems to me that MoF has a lot going for it, yet has one fundamental and very fatal flaw. Combos. I know Cox and company want to modernize Castlevania and keep it in line with LoS1, but the combos fundamentally change the entire experience in a "love it"-or-"hate it" sort of way. It seems to me that the game's flow and progression is "padded" by what essentially are Double Dragon/Final Fight-style beat-em-up bouts against even the least of foes. I find this counter-intuitive to the game design as a whole.*

As an aside, my other issue, more of a nitpick, is the use of swinging over gaps with the whip. It looks to be very much "on-rails," where you automatically hook onto the nearest grappling point with the press of a button. If we're emphasizing a return to platforming, you have to make this more manually controlled and dynamic; otherwise it becomes little more than a neat-looking but ultimately hollow visual change-up. It's not the proudly proclaimed return of the Super Castlevania IV mechanic by any means.

By the way, I noticed a Bernhardt reference in one of the Demo scrolls. Let the name drops commence!

Outside of that, I think they did a better job of atmosphere and art direction than LoS1, and attempted to link the action and platforming a bit more. Unfortunately, I'm not sure everything's going to mesh because of those persistent combos.

*Ask yourself this--put that mechanic in another Castlevania game. Does it add to or detract from the flow of gameplay?

Simon's Quest--"Got to get over this bridge and reach that mansion...but these 30-hit Mermen keep getting in the way. Oh, no, here comes that Horrible Night for a Curse business; now they take 50 hits!"

Castlevania III--"I've got Grant, now we just have to go down the Clocktower. These skeletons and their 20-hits make me wonder if I'm ever going to reach that map screen again. And here comes the knight...with even more hits."

SotN--"Boy, these wargs sure do take a lot of hits. 10, 20, 30 . . . how many hits does it take? There. Did it. Wait, another warg?! I'm just trying to get to the next room with Death, will you please cut to the chase!"

...Sometimes trends aren't universally helpful. Just my thought on it.

^THIS!

Only thing I can add besides the nit-picks I've already mentioned is that I have always and forever will totally hate contextual battle music for normal enemies. I like to listen to the BGM uninterrupted until I encounter a mid-boss or boss. I will also add that the music seems better than LoS1. It actually sounds like I'm listing to a BGM and not a movie score.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Bergaron

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4809 on: February 23, 2013, 02:48:38 PM »
I have no here my 3DS XL (my son in my parents hause) someone can confirm this?

"the demo is updated, its still the dame levels but this new demo is a more recent build."  22:30 23/02/2013

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #4810 on: February 23, 2013, 03:00:45 PM »
I have no here my 3DS XL (my son in my parents hause) someone can confirm this?

"the demo is updated, its still the dame levels but this new demo is a more recent build."  22:30 23/02/2013

Yes, same area from the E3 demo but updated.

Offline Bergaron

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4812 on: February 23, 2013, 03:38:31 PM »
Verhaal van Simon in Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate

In the video he asks for his father. I wonder if when he meets Alucard confesses he is his father. Appears in the image Alucard ashamed, maybe never comes to tell him that is his father or tell him that Gabriel killed his father (could be almost true).
http://t.co/WlVfMsq0

P.D. Have you noticed that Alucard layer is the same style and shade of green than Trevor ..

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #4813 on: February 23, 2013, 04:23:03 PM »
I was gonna talk about that part when the trailer was revealed but decided not to. I figured he was talking to Alucard and that's where he tells him who he is.

P.D. Have you noticed that Alucard layer is the same style and shade of green than Trevor ..

That plus he's using a variant of the battle cross, his apparent voice actor, he the son of Dracula and he says he was given a "second chance" by fate are pretty much the reasons that some believe that Alucard is Trevor.

The only thing that would solidify this if we either hear Alucard speak directly in a uninterrupted cutscene or get a good look at his face. Which made me realize that it's very odd that we haven't gotten a good look at his face in game, rather only in promo shot's and only in angles or something covering his face. The game is coming out in two weeks and we still don't really know what one of the playable characters really looks or sound like, what gives?

Offline Akuma

• GILGAMESH FAN KING
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4814 on: February 23, 2013, 04:41:40 PM »
Alucard probably shares a another character's VA for this very reason.

Tags: .....? 

anything