Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Do you prefer Classic style or Metroidvania style?  (Read 11753 times)

Offline TheRetroArtist

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Do you prefer Classic style or Metroidvania style?
« on: November 30, 2013, 01:13:39 PM »
Hey so I'm new to the forum so I apologize if this has been done before.

Anyways as the title suggest, what is your preferred style in Castlevania: Classic or Metroidvania?

I prefer the Classic style personally, but that's just me. Anyway, feel free to leave your opinion.

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
Re: Do you prefer Classic style or Metroidvania style?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 01:27:07 PM »
You're forgetting ColoxOfWarVania. That's important too, you know.
And make a poll! It's always interesting to gauge the current Dungeon demographic from their Castlevania tastes.

But for me? I was born and raised with Metroidvania, and I shall always live by it. You Classicvania worshipers are brutish and unrefined, incapable of understanding the merits of a clearly superior design and losing yourself in your own derisive single-mindedness... All right, just kidding.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 02:23:30 PM by Intersection »
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 03:39:06 PM »
I like both. I'll play a Metroidvania every now and then, but what we really need right now is to go back to CV's roots with classic retrovania-style gameplay.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 08:13:00 PM »
Yeah this was asked before a while back. The poll resulted in a little over half the people saying they liked them both equally http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php/topic,5149.0.html though out of those willing to commit to one or the other, ClassicVania stomped Metroidvania with a 20 to 5 score. Personally I love them both, though I find the good ClassicVanias (which is nearly all of them) to be a bit more rewarding.

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 08:52:37 PM »
Both but if I had to choose I'd go with Classicvania.

Offline Darkweaver

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 12:19:25 PM »
Metroidvania.  I would have no problem with every Castlevania game being that way.

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 01:47:45 PM »
I like both.  I think I'd go with Metroidvania though if I absolutely had to pick one over the other...but I do agree with Ratty that the Classicvania games are much more rewarding.  It feels like a bigger deal to survive all the way through one of those...but still, I'd say both or Metroidvania.

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 06:29:12 PM »
I don't have a preference. I thoroughly enjoy the challenge of the classics, but I love the exploration and replay value of a Metroidvania. However, I'd enjoy the classics much more if they take what Rondo established and expand upon it. In fact, they'd be absolutely brilliant like that. I'm talking multiple playable characters (more than 2 preferably), tons of stages and alternate routes, tons of bosses (maybe even give each stage its own set), tons of secrets to find, multiple endings, etc. Now that would be a Castlevania game. :D
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 12:32:50 AM »
I don't have a preference. I thoroughly enjoy the challenge of the classics, but I love the exploration and replay value of a Metroidvania. However, I'd enjoy the classics much more if they take what Rondo established and expand upon it. In fact, they'd be absolutely brilliant like that. I'm talking multiple playable characters (more than 2 preferably), tons of stages and alternate routes, tons of bosses (maybe even give each stage its own set), tons of secrets to find, multiple endings, etc. Now that would be a Castlevania game. :D

My only real beef with Rondo was the stages were somewhat sort. They could've lasted longer with an extra segment or two put in there.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline son_the_vampire

• Chilly Lemonade
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I see you over there.. Yeah you
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 12:18:38 PM »
+2
Classic grab a whip and go action. What is it with these gauntlets and summons. All I want is a boomerang
Twitch.tv/TrippyLemonss

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 01:41:00 AM »
^^LOVE this post!  ;D

Agreed. Classicvanias is where it's at for me. they're less bloated, better designed, and more of a challenge IMO. Symphony is the only Metroidvania I can honestly say I love.

Offline son_the_vampire

• Chilly Lemonade
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I see you over there.. Yeah you
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 05:05:12 AM »
^^LOVE this post!  ;D

Agreed. Classicvanias is where it's at for me. they're less bloated, better designed, and more of a challenge IMO. Symphony is the only Metroidvania I can honestly say I love.
lol thanks and I should edit my post to exclude symphony. I'm a huge food collecting junkie in that one
Twitch.tv/TrippyLemonss

Offline adelcs

• Turn 360 degrees and backdash away
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2013, 04:20:34 PM »
I honestly really like both styles. They have their own merits. Classicvania is much more challenging in general and has a much tighter focus in its game design. Metroidvania is much looser, but it has the exploration element and snappier combat. If I had to choose one style to play for the rest of time, though, I'd probably pick Metroidvania just because it has a lot more replayability with all of the alternate characters and extra modes. Castlevania 3 is one of my favorite Castlevania games, though.
Currently playing:
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
Valdis Story: Abyssal City
CV:HoD Hard mode, naked run

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2013, 04:44:50 PM »
I like both, there are certain Classics I would put over SOME metroidvania's such as Super Castlevania 4 and Castlevania rondo of Blood, but over all I prefer metroidvanias more since there is generally far more to do such as exploring and finding secrets and weapons.

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline Zuljaras

• Castletoria (Game Project)
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2013, 04:19:35 AM »
I like both but I prefer the Metroidvania style!

Many years ago I saw in a TV show Castlevania (I didn't know the name that time) Symphony of the Night and Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance. From that moment I realised that those games are made for me :)

I mean huge Castle to explore, enemies from different mythologies, backtracking, progression, cool story - it is just too good.

I played all "RPG" Castlevania games on emulators (I am sorry about that) but 2 years ago I bought Nintendo DS lite and now I have CotM,HoD,AoS,DoS,PoR,OoE and I am happy to say that it is awesome to play them everywhere I want :)
Check out my game Castletoria in our forum ->> http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php?topic=5631.0

Tags: