Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Worst sequel(s) to good games  (Read 13775 times)

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« on: March 23, 2008, 07:30:47 PM »
what's everyone's most hated video game serie sequel(s)?

I hated Windwaker alot when it came out and still can't play it cuz of all the boring sailing, the other zelda titles take place on land so your constantly fighting enemies to keep it fresh, WW was insanely boring when it came to going from island to island. Mario 64 also ranks up there as another giant disappointment. I was expecting to be going after king Koopa again and possibly his kids in all new decked out crazy 3d levels, and all it was was one big star hunt with only temp. new powers and non of the old ones going through each level 8 or 9 times to finally get enough stars to move on with a bowser fight every once in a blue moon that was nothing more than throw him off a cliff and was unlike anything before or after it mariogame wise. The most disappointing sequel I've ever played would have to be Double Dragon 3 on the nes. You only have one health bar to beat the entire game with NO continues! What a giant slap in the face and a cruel move on the programmers part. You have to be the most patient gamer alive to finish it. (or cheat like I did  ;D) You get to play as other characters but it's overshadowed by the fact that if anybody dies that's it, they're gone for good and you have to start the whole game over again if everybody dies.
_______________________________________ ______________

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 07:51:10 PM »
sequel to Megaman Zeros, The DX thing, the game might play good, I wouldn't know, but from the sounds and looks of it, it looks like its aimed towards audiences who likes to watch digimon and pokemon after its welcome are outlasted.

Probably not the worst, but ..... it annoys me a great deal. MMX 7 and up also, Axel is just an annoying existence and I wish it were remedied. 5 adn 6 weren't the best either but its not too bad.

Sequels to Sonic Adventure 2 >.>and all I can say to that is.... nuff said.

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • The Mask is a powerful device...
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 07:58:11 PM »
Any Megaman X game after 4.
What a horrible night to have a curse!

Offline Rugal

• I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Master Hunter
  • I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Awards A master of sarcasm whose words often drip with satire and cynicism. Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 08:16:00 PM »
Halo 2 and 3.
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow sucks
DmC: Devil may Cry is the equivalent of trailer trash
"badly designed fat left on Lords of Shadow 2's bones."

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 08:25:50 PM »
Devil May Cry 2, Nightshade/Kunoichi (Shinobi 2)...

Offline Slayer

• The Prince of a town called Bel-Air
  • Master Hunter
  • The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 08:32:03 PM »
Ummmm....SNAKE'S REVENGE?!?!  A less-than-decent, platitude-laden non-sneaking shooter game sequel to Metal Gear, a game centered on sneaking...
At least Mario 64 and Wind Waker weren't abysmal...they are often placed on favorite games lists across the internet, and are typically seen as Quality Games.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 08:33:59 PM by Polaris (aka Slayer) »
----------------------------------------------
Tetris world record, set.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_3mxSPWAn4

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 08:52:10 PM »
I'll probably remember worse ones later but Heroes of Might and Magic 4 comes to mind.

They say it isn't that much different from the 3rd (which rules) one, but the chaotic appearance and unpleasant combat made me stop playing it pretty much immediately.

Offline A vicar in a tutu

• As natural as rain, he dances again.
  • Master Hunter
  • Get your vile soul dry-cleaned
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 11:24:40 PM »
I was disappointed with the game of Spider-Man 3.
Spider-Man 2 was total awesomeness, and the third game just took away all the previous game's greatness.

Offline Xain

• FIRE! FIRE!
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Worst sequel(s) to good games
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 05:30:38 AM »
As much as it hurts me to say this i would have to say the .hack//GU series. (I would count it as a sequel video game wise) The story could have been good but the dialogue was kinda bad...so was the idea for having a tournament type thing in every volume. The game just didn't have the mystery or seriousness that the first set of games had.

Also, game play wise, while the combat was great, the battles were tedious. I ever had this bored feeling the the first seres...that's because i always felt threatened. i was always afraid what might come out of the magic portal. On top of that i didn't like the fact i could communicate with my party members. i mean what kinda leader are you if you can shout out commands.

Another thing i disliked was the cut scenes. it was a damn shame to see that this game had Xenosaga 3 syndrome. i really didn't like how everyone just stood there in their character models and talked....i could understand some of the briefing scenes but that all...every thing else should a have been an awesome movie scene.

So yeah....i didn't like it at all but i still love the series. 

MM Battle Network Sig Project. And on the third day, Dr. Light said, "Let there be Roll."

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 06:45:47 AM »

Alundra 2
Worst sequel I've ever had the misfortune of buying. I still love the first game though and pretend that Alundra 2 never happened.

Final Fantasy 7
After FF6, my expectations were ridiculously high. I bought the original Playstation only to play this game (and Resident Evil. Didn't like that one either.). I'm not trying to be provocative, I just truly cannot get into FF7.

Klonoa Beach Volleyball
Not really a sequel, but I still bought it cause Klonoa was fantastic. This spin off is just disgusting and I obviously should've known better.

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • The Mask is a powerful device...
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 10:07:32 AM »

Final Fantasy 7
After FF6, my expectations were ridiculously high. I bought the original Playstation only to play this game (and Resident Evil. Didn't like that one either.). I'm not trying to be provocative, I just truly cannot get into FF7.

I don't really consider RPG's with the same name sequels unless they are actually related to the game the came before it. It may have the same name but it's not at all related. Now, if it were FFX and FFX-2 thats different.

Anywho, I like FF6 and 7 equally, but I guess you make some sense
What a horrible night to have a curse!

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 10:33:04 AM »
I liked alundra 2... sorta... It was alright but it had major issues that made the game unpleasurable.

But that reminds me, I never played Brave Fencer Musashi's ps2 game. But my friend was so utterly disappointed that I just have to follow suit.

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 10:53:06 AM »
I liked alundra 2... sorta... It was alright but it had major issues that made the game unpleasurable.

Same goes for me and also it didn't have relation with the first Alundra except from the name!
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Donvermicelli

• Count of the villa
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015 -  Christmas Award 3rd Place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Bronze 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 12:23:29 PM »
This one is easy, Deusex: invisible war, is the worst sequel EVER.

Deusex was pure awensome ness, story and gameplay wise. It still outmatches some of the newer games today. Dx:IW was sucked ass gameplay wise, all the things that made DX great were removed and universal ammo...Imagine using it with a flamethrower. The story was so,so but still far inferior than the plot from the first one.

If I had the funds, I'd issue a remake of the sequel and completly alter it's story and reimplement the great gameplay from the first game.

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 08:54:49 PM »
I don't really consider RPG's with the same name sequels unless they are actually related to the game the came before it. It may have the same name but it's not at all related. Now, if it were FFX and FFX-2 thats different.

Anywho, I like FF6 and 7 equally, but I guess you make some sense

Yeah I agree, I thought 7 was even better personally. The materia aspect was awesome. (Main boss was WAY too easy though after going through all that hell to get to him)
_______________________________________ ______________

Tags: