Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow (1999 Fan Project)  (Read 454500 times)

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Re: Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow (1999 Fan Project)
« Reply #900 on: June 19, 2018, 04:00:47 AM »
So, in short, Grimoire of Souls could prove to be a challenge. As of now, nothing major interfered with Umbra, but if GoS reveals something TOO major once it comes out, it could mean that entire chunks of Umbra's plotline (and possibly gameplay aspects that are interwined with the plotline) must get rewritten to suit what GoS says.
Considering that mobage stories tend to be released in a piecemeal manner with new story chapters sometimes taking months on end to release, are you concerned with how long this might take?
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #901 on: June 19, 2018, 05:20:07 AM »
Considering that mobage stories tend to be released in a piecemeal manner with new story chapters sometimes taking months on end to release, are you concerned with how long this might take?

Considering how long Umbra itself might take on the great scheme of things, not really.

But I am a bit concerned still because we have no idea what they plan on showing with GoS. There are a few things that could make us go "Well shit." up to including:

(click to show/hide)

Some things can be adjusted for, some can't. In the case of the some that "can't", we will strap ourselves to one of the project's mission statements: We only aim to present a plausible version of this story with our silly headcanon. We have our feet on the ground and we know that we're ultimately nothing more than a fangame.

This is also how we will deal with the possibility of Konami releasing an OFFICIAL 1999 media. In case they do, we will just move forward with our fanfiction as "solidified headcanon" because that's what it was always meant to be. In fact, their releasing an official 1999 media scares me much less than them releasing other piece of media around the 1999 storyline talking about it (which is also not a lot of "scare", just a bit, like I said above), because a supporting media forces me to collect info and follow the breadcrumbs, an actual 1999 media does not -- it flat out tells me "you're wrong, here's the official thing" and I go "oh ok but fanfiction is not wrong tho".

On where we CAN make adjustments, we will, I promise, even on the stuff that takes months to get revealed. Konami being god, Umbra follows it like a devout unofficial and not-endorsed cultist doing what it says. I had to sacrifice a relatively minor thing that was in place already due to GoS speaking too much :P but the plan B might be just better than what was in place before, who knows? I have one million plan Bs still :)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 05:45:53 AM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #902 on: June 19, 2018, 05:48:22 PM »
seeing that gameplay excites me in places that castlevania fangames shouldn't excite me

(click to show/hide)
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #903 on: June 20, 2018, 10:16:59 AM »
(click to show/hide)

I like the colorful look of this game and the spritework is top notch. Well done!

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #904 on: June 20, 2018, 06:12:39 PM »
+1
Julius' revised look is pretty good  8)
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline aensland

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2018-06 Music Concert 1st Place 2017-02-Music Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #905 on: June 21, 2018, 08:04:43 AM »
Alucard sure is looking kinda ignorant in Grimoire of Souls, the dialogue from the game makes him look like a clueless cv fan lol
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 12:57:29 PM by aensland »

Offline The Puritan

• Vagabond
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #906 on: June 25, 2018, 04:18:29 PM »
As far as backstories go, do you guys have any plans for the Scholomance? It's mentioned in the Stoker novel that Dracula's family "...had dealings with the Evil One. They learned his secrets in the Scholomance, amongst the mountains over Lake Hermanstadt, where the devil claims the tenth scholar as his due."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scholomance

I had thought not just Dracula but other dark luminaries in Castlevania may've studied there, such as Brauner. POR's Dark Academy may even be his rendition of the place, though I don't think it fits the Scholomance's description in lore.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
« Reply #907 on: June 25, 2018, 05:04:38 PM »
+1
As far as backstories go, do you guys have any plans for the Scholomance? It's mentioned in the Stoker novel that Dracula's family "...had dealings with the Evil One. They learned his secrets in the Scholomance, amongst the mountains over Lake Hermanstadt, where the devil claims the tenth scholar as his due."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scholomance

I had thought not just Dracula but other dark luminaries in Castlevania may've studied there, such as Brauner. POR's Dark Academy may even be his rendition of the place, though I don't think it fits the Scholomance's description in lore.

Hey!

We have plans to adapt certain specific details from the Bram Stoker novel, but I cannot give you a status on the Scholomance. It's something that was never considered (not discarded, just not considered). I can tell you that this was never on my mind, even though other details are.

However, I might consider this too. It will depend on what the other core team members think and if it could be used to enrich the plot, even if a tiny bit. They will be reading this, so we will discuss internally. I would also like to know if more people are interested on THIS detail making it in, so leave your feedback, but please understand that the Umbra team keeps the final word.

From my personal, preliminary opinion based on your input given now: I have no plans to incorporate Scholomance, because it conflicts with Castlevania's overall lore. I will give a short rundown why:

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 06:12:17 PM by theplottwist »

Offline The Puritan

• Vagabond
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #908 on: June 26, 2018, 12:49:06 AM »
Hey!

We have plans to adapt certain specific details from the Bram Stoker novel, but I cannot give you a status on the Scholomance. It's something that was never considered (not discarded, just not considered). I can tell you that this was never on my mind, even though other details are.

However, I might consider this too. It will depend on what the other core team members think and if it could be used to enrich the plot, even if a tiny bit. They will be reading this, so we will discuss internally. I would also like to know if more people are interested on THIS detail making it in, so leave your feedback, but please understand that the Umbra team keeps the final word.

From my personal, preliminary opinion based on your input given now: I have no plans to incorporate Scholomance, because it conflicts with Castlevania's overall lore. I will give a short rundown why:

(click to show/hide)

A-OK, but totally and perfectly understanding if it doesn't make it. I think it has potential to mean something in CV as a whole (and ultimately this project). Plus you guys like tying every little detail from every corner of the lore together, Stoker novel included, and I felt like I couldn't pass this up. :) Still: everything below the spoiler text made me wonder if there's even a need for the place, given the Demon Castle is already a bastion of forbidden knowledge. Heck, Castlevania itself probably is the Scholomance.

Anyway, it's certainly there if you guys need it. It just might be holding secrets ignored or more likely covered up by Dracula. Like destroying him forever, though the Hakuba ritual and Maria training in Japan already put a big monkey wrench in the very idea.

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #909 on: July 30, 2018, 03:05:40 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Seriously, this is shaping up to be very high-quality. Damn...

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #910 on: July 30, 2018, 06:27:21 PM »
I'd say have the inclusion of the Scholomance from the novel. Dracula isn't the sort of person to learn forbidden knowledge from one source and that'd be that. He'd be gaining knowledge from multiple sources in order to max out his powers. And heck, if there was a deity in control of said Scholomance then all Dracula had to do once he learned all he could would be to kill off the deity in question and take over.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Malus793

• Lord of this Castle
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here
    • Crane's Cabinet of Curiosities & Cynicism
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania 64 (N64)
« Reply #911 on: October 08, 2018, 08:12:07 PM »
Plus it deepens the lore a bit, and bases it in some real world occult beliefs, what with the Solomonari and all. 

Hello, everyone.  Room for one more?  I saw the casting call website but fear I am too late.  It let me look at the page but did not let me interact with it.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 08:39:20 PM by Malus793 »
I'm just happy that Simon and Richter are in Smash Bros.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #912 on: October 08, 2018, 11:19:56 PM »
Hello, everyone.  Room for one more?  I saw the casting call website but fear I am too late.  It let me look at the page but did not let me interact with it.

There's room! Please send me a message containing the character you'd like to try for (between Jonathan Morris and Death), and your voice test in the highest possible quality for you. You may also request more details if you're unsure of something, but pretty much all of it is covered on the casting call page.

And keep in mind that you might not pass as the character you tried for, but we can still keep an eye on you for other roles. If this happens, we'll let you know in advance and ask you if you're interested in being contacted about it in the future.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 11:26:25 PM by theplottwist »

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #913 on: October 09, 2018, 04:16:53 AM »
It let me look at the page but did not let me interact with it.

that's my fault--the deadline's actually ongoing, but the site only allows set dates, and i didn't update it to extend last month

you should be able to interact with it now

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Malus793

• Lord of this Castle
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here
    • Crane's Cabinet of Curiosities & Cynicism
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania 64 (N64)
« Reply #914 on: October 09, 2018, 09:14:27 AM »
Nice, thanks!

Is there any rule against offering auditions for both?  I'd like to present options and display versatility (in theory, we'll see how it works in practice).

Thanks again.
I'm just happy that Simon and Richter are in Smash Bros.

Tags: 1999 Awes