Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow (1999 Fan Project)  (Read 449958 times)

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow (1999 Fan Project)
« Reply #945 on: April 18, 2020, 02:07:24 AM »
Vocal radio drama, or audio book would be nice for stories that can't fit (or perhaps expand more) on the base game.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #946 on: April 19, 2020, 09:57:27 AM »
A vocal radio drama would be cool indeed if a game wasn't doable, as we already did a ton of music for the project :)

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #947 on: April 21, 2020, 12:40:49 PM »
Hello. You can consider this a type of update on the project.

The project is on hold (again) for the time being. This is because I'm sick (no, not covid). I've been very sick for a while now and although I'm seeing doctors, it's expensive, time consuming, they have not yet figured what my issue is, and my condition grows worse every day.

The team is aware that I've not been fine. I'm giving my strongest efforts recently to work and get money to continue providing my family and my health, but I've worsened to the point that sitting to type is way too much effort. Today in special, at the time of this post, I'm having difficulty even reading.

I'm not one to expose myself like this to strangers, but I've been ill long enough that I needed to say something. To anyone who needs an update, that's it. Sorry it's not the one you wanted.

If something does happen to me, someone from the team will come here and notify everyone.

EDIT: Thank you all for the wishes. I will not be updating about my condition as I have exposed myself enough. But in this case, "no update" means "good update". Hopefully the next time I post on this thread things are much better.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 04:09:13 PM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #948 on: April 21, 2020, 02:00:03 PM »
+2
Hello. You can consider this a type of update on the project.

The project is on hold (again) for the time being. This is because I'm sick (no, not covid). I've been very sick for a while now and although I'm seeing doctors, it's expensive, time consuming, they have not yet figured what my issue is, and my condition grows worse every day.

The team is aware that I've not been fine. I'm giving my strongest efforts recently to work and get money to continue providing my family and my health, but I've worsened to the point that sitting to type is way too much effort. Today in special, at the time of this post, I'm having difficulty even reading.

I'm not one to expose myself like this to strangers, but I've been ill long enough that I needed to say something. To anyone who needs an update, that's it. Sorry it's not the one you wanted.

If something does happen to me, someone from the team will come here and notify everyone.

Damn... that's rough.  I'm sorry to hear that.  Hopefully, whatever it is, you can kick it and get back to feeling like your old self.
I hope you get to feeling well soon!

Offline DraculaCronqvist

• Demon King
  • Vampire Hunter
  • I shall give you the answer along with your death!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #949 on: April 21, 2020, 03:24:16 PM »
+2
That sounds serious. I do hope the situation will resolve itself to a satisfactory outcome for you, soon.
"It's not that I don't love to run into the heart of danger... Actually, that's exactly it."
"Individualism is a path fraught with obstacles, and sometimes angry mobs, but for all its hardships it is the only one worth taking."

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #950 on: April 21, 2020, 04:37:47 PM »
+3
theplottwist@

I don't consider anyone here at the Dungeon a stranger, not even you  :)  Though it is true that none of us have met face-to-face, we have been coming here and chatting for a very long time. So in that light I don't see any strangers here. I do hope that your condition doesn't escalate any more then it already has and that you'll eventually pull through. Just take care of yourself and do the best you can do. I wish you luck.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Gardraphius

• Interested in Castlevania fan games.
    • Awards
« Reply #951 on: April 22, 2020, 02:26:22 AM »
+2
I cancelled my own secret fan project on the exact same day of this announcement for my own, dissimilar circumstances out of my control. And I was not met with disappointment but understanding from my very few supporters. Thankfully, in this fandom at least, you're extremely unlikely to come across anyone who would rather you put yourself in harms way than get on the path to a swift recovery. Thanks for letting us know, these things happen, and we wish you the best through these hard times.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #952 on: April 22, 2020, 03:07:08 AM »
+2
@plot: Get well soon! You can do it. I know you have the will and fortitude to combat your illness.
Also, I agree with X,  we are not strangers, we all are friends here even if we have not met personally, but you can glean each of our personalities based on the written word on the page.

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #953 on: July 13, 2020, 11:14:54 PM »
I dunno if it's okay to revive the thread now, but now that GoS has been pretty much cancelled, are the plot details from that game still considered canon within the scope of this project?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 11:24:48 PM by VladCT »
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
« Reply #954 on: July 14, 2020, 06:37:43 AM »
+1
I dunno if it's okay to revive the thread now, but now that GoS has been pretty much cancelled, are the plot details from that game still considered canon within the scope of this project?

I'm in kind of a pickle concerning this. As soon as the announcement came, I talked about this briefly with the team. What I arrived at is this:

The story's been rewritten to conform to what GoS contradicted, but it was little enough that I can double back and readd the elements without breaking too much stuff if ignoring GoS is possible. This is being considered.

However, even if GoS is erased completely, I think it's safe to assume that the story was drawing from Konami approval to know what could be done or not. Meaning that even if GoS ends, the story was supported by already existing ideas for CV. Of course, to know for sure, another CV contradicting GoS would have to come out. But still...

Another thing to consider is that, apparently, the JP audience has NOT received this news about GoS (at least at the time I checked). This could mean GoS is not in fact dead, just restricted. Time will tell though.

Offline Darkmoon

• ICVD Keeper
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Vampire Hunter
  • I Have No Idea Where I'm Going
    • Castlevania: The Inverted Dungeon
    • Awards
« Reply #955 on: July 14, 2020, 09:33:04 AM »
GoS was cancelled, but it still was technically released (up to a point) in some regions. That's canon enough until Konami releases a new timeline.

Offline SecretWeapon

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #956 on: July 14, 2020, 05:15:50 PM »
+1
it's also an incompete story tho. You should dance around it, like with Bram Stoker's Dracula. Take stuff from characterization though

Offline Foffy

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #957 on: July 14, 2020, 09:11:42 PM »
+1
Unless these were big things in Umbra's original concept that got contradicted from character interactions from GoS - and knowing loremasters like Plot, he probably had some really great ideas here that probably had to change a bit - that being the most drastic thing to change doesn't seem too bad to have changed here in the grand scheme of things. The big thing I think GoS hammered home is that Alucard never personally met Jonathan and Charlotte, an idea many previously presumed that he did.

Besides that plot detail, what exactly has GoS introduced that could make things messy even if the game is essentially incomplete? Maybe there could be a hint that a group like the Elgos Order comes into being after Dracula dies? But even that seems like something that doesn't need to be foreshadowed, as it wasn't in the Sorrow games. GoS also being a terminated game only leaves the plot thread of how far Hermina gets with her plot to use the Grimoire, but that seems primarily linked to just that game.

If I as an outsider have any suggestion, it would be to still treat GoS as canon despite being a game that may likely never see an actual ending. The nature of mobile games is that many of them never get finished and their stories left undone, and that was always the central worry I had with the game. Square-Enix might be the sole company I can think of that will let a game survive long enough to actually introduce an ending in the mobile space, and even then they've cut the cord early on projects to just end them. I find it rather crazy that it seems to have come true here, and that's before the game even got off its feet. GoS was more or less a welcomed return to the original canon from Konami's perspective, but that's all that really happened. We now have three incomplete episodes in the original canon.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #958 on: July 15, 2020, 09:30:16 AM »
I'd honestly just forget about GoS. It sounds like too much trouble to even remotely try and keep up with whatever Konami is doing, or failing to do. Just stick to the main series and leave out GoS. It'll be far less hair-pulling that way.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 12:37:18 AM by X »
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #959 on: July 16, 2020, 01:23:38 PM »
+2
(click to show/hide)

EDIT: This is no longer being done.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 12:36:46 PM by theplottwist »

Tags: 1999 Awes 

anything