Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Carmilla (Revised)  (Read 11070 times)

Offline Zydalc

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
Re: Carmilla (Revised)
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2017, 08:42:06 PM »
1- By 1870 the Austrian Empire (explicitly mentioned in the novel) didnt exist anymore.

2. Carmilla didnt get locked in the coffin. Sleeping there was just part of her vampiric curse but she moved around freely

3. In Castlevania, Carmilla already had Laura in 1792.

----------------
The best moment to have a Carmilla story in CVerse is before Rondo. Carmilla's novel events happen around 1770 -1780 in this version while the game events happen just before RoB. Shaft's cult (Which Laura joined and became a high ranked priestess) ressurects her to help them track down Drac's coffin/remains. First part of the game would be against the Renard vampire hunters (Carmilla delivers Maria to Shaft) and the later half would be against Carmilla's mother and grandmother from the novel (the ones actually holding the coffin, they framed the Renards) who basically pull a Brauner and raise the Castle. The Grandmother would be the final boss.

Mechanic-wise it'd be similar to OoE. Two "weapon" slots that consume MP but instead of just a trigger we'd have two (since consoles have 4 triggers): One would be "Laura" skills and the other would be the typical magic stuff like turning into a wolf or a bat. Instead of item crashs i thought of a demon form too that would turn Carmilla into her typical bossfight form.

Like OoE too we'd have a base (Ecclesia) which would be Carmilla's waterfall fortress/Shaft cult (unlike Ecclesia, it'd actually have npcs and quest givers) base, a city central hub (Wygol) with quest givers and flavor npcs too and a variety of locations you can go to from there.

If the game is 2.5D it could have extra costumes like LoS Carmilla and Laura or Annette and Maria

Well then again I originally also had in mind of something existing outside of Castlevania canon and it's a stand alone retelling of some sorts but thanks for reminding me of the chronological errors though but I guess like I said before, it could be a revision set in the 1870s just like "Kinda TV's" Carmilla is set in modern times.

Well to tell you the truth, the real reason why I prefer the 1870s is because thing is in the 1790s however, the gown designs from the OP doesn't look exactly accurate to how dresses from the 1790s actually looked like which hers looks like 1870s/1880s since to be honest, I find Victorian dresses/gowns more aesthetically appealing than gowns from the 1700s especially late 1700/1810s they look like nightgowns which isn't aesthetically appealing (and attractive of course) and less elegant than the dresses in the late 19th century are. Unless there could be work arounds though somehow....

Of course I've just rechecked Carmilla's story, it seems her ballgown appearance defiantly fits the original story because she regularly attends Masquerade balls (since during those times, they were the nightclubs/gothclubs, raveclubs of the day especially for high society...since it makes sense that modern vampires would search out prey in rave clubs just like the masquerade balls of the days of old) which is how she feeds on human prey of course so it makes sense in the context of the original story.

Now the actual reason I'm envisioning this game as nothing to do with Castlevania's canon is well I just happen to look at Carmilla's info and turns out she's a complete villain type  character (well maybe I don't mind this at all because she would be seen as a villain to hunters anyways) and Laura which turns out that she doesn't want to become a vampire and 'feels embarrassed and intimidated' by Carmilla as said in the wikia a far cry what I envisioned since it would have made her less sympathetic if there was any hint of toxicity in their relationship which quickly defeats the entire purpose there which is what I'm trying to avoid.

Also Laura in a cat ninja suit (if she's attacked) was off putting.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 09:21:31 PM by Zydalc »

Offline SecretWeapon

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2017, 04:47:43 AM »
Your post is off putting

Offline Zydalc

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2017, 09:43:20 AM »
Your post is off putting

Perhaps I could ask "How so?" but well then again I guess my mind is all over the place and try to condense it to one post which I might be talking over people's heads now.

At this point maybe I may need to back down (or slow down) because I don't want to cause any further conflicts here nor I don't want anyone to start anything with personal attacks as possibly displayed here but no offense if you didn't mean it or misunderstood what I'm reading here.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 09:57:33 AM by Zydalc »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2017, 10:02:45 AM »
Your post is off-putting

I don't think Zydalc was trying to be rude. He's just offering ideas on how to help you with your project. In the end, you get to make the final decision because it's your project.

Well to tell you the truth, the real reason why I prefer the 1870s is because thing is in the 1790s however, the gown designs from the OP doesn't look exactly accurate to how dresses from the 1790s actually looked like which hers looks like 1870s/1880s since to be honest, I find Victorian dresses/gowns more aesthetically appealing than gowns from the 1700s especially late 1700/1810s they look like nightgowns which isn't aesthetically appealing (and attractive of course) and less elegant than the dresses in the late 19th century are. Unless there could be work arounds though somehow....

There's a Castlevania game that violates historical accuracy in terms of outfits, and then some. Curse of Darkness. You want a real offender of historical accuracy? Then look no further then that game. Issac's outfit was the final straw that broke the camel's back. Jesus...

Some of those 1700's outfits that noble women wear to fancy parties are actually quite fancy themselves. I have a book that I just flipped through (Costume 1066-1966 by John Peacock) that showed me some very eloquent dresses of the late 1700's. They wouldn't be out of place in Carmilla's time.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline SecretWeapon

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2017, 10:44:13 AM »
Its not my project lmao.

Offline Zydalc

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2017, 12:18:48 PM »
I don't think Zydalc was trying to be rude. He's just offering ideas on how to help you with your project. In the end, you get to make the final decision because it's your project.

Well like he said above me, it's not his project but I'm just checking around here to anyone's interested doing it but although I kinda prefer mig3 to create the game due to their exceptional skills of making a Metrovania as shown with LeCarde Chronicles but maybe my "Carmilla" idea could turn into a third installment of the "LeCarde Chronicles" or spin off if the reception of Lecarde Chronicles goes well.

There's a Castlevania game that violates historical accuracy in terms of outfits, and then some. Curse of Darkness. You want a real offender of historical accuracy? Then look no further then that game. Issac's outfit was the final straw that broke the camel's back. Jesus...

Some of those 1700's outfits that noble women wear to fancy parties are actually quite fancy themselves. I have a book that I just flipped through (Costume 1066-1966 by John Peacock) that showed me some very eloquent dresses of the late 1700's. They wouldn't be out of place in Carmilla's time.

I guess after all those sprites I've posted in my OP are still valid? Might as well go ahead with it then only if FanOfDracula is still around who created the sprites but last time I spoke to him he has other responsibilities to fulfill and doesn't have time to do them and can't guarantee it so maybe either someone else can do them or if he comes back to complete the sprite sheets.

Then again though I wonder who who created the sprites for LeCarde Chronicles and maybe they can do it as well. 

Lastly I wonder about the practicability issues involving Carmilla wearing a black ballgown throughout the entire game (or rather it's her default outfit) like how she can run, jump, etc while wearing it. I guess at some point she tears her dress revealing her bare legs in a slit (in femme fatale fashion like she already is without the slit due to her elegant posture) which repairs back to it's unslit form which is a allegory to how Victorians viewed women flashing their ankle as 'scandalous' hence all that layers which also plays into the sexual repression at the time. Maybe in some animations where Carmilla is running/jumping or even her attack frams in her unslit full ballgown, she sometimes reveals a ankle (bare skin and boots) referencing this.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 12:50:05 PM by Zydalc »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2017, 06:11:53 PM »
Its not my project lmao.

Woops! My bad, lol. Sorry  ;D
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Tags: