Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Little things that make you happy  (Read 29376 times)

Lone Wolf

Re: Little things that make you happy
« Reply #105 on: March 07, 2013, 11:54:53 PM »
Hey! The original Tarzan books were great, at least the first two. (I've got 22 of them but only read the first 4 so far, 3 isn't very good.) Edgar Rice Burroughs shared the racism and other prejudices of his time but damned if he couldn't spin a tale. Since they were published before 1922 the first 8 of the books are in the public domain in the US and probably most other places. If you can suspend your disbelief for a pulp fiction Jungle Fantasy I'd recommend giving the first 2 a read- http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/78 http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/81 scanned-in from physical book versions can also be found on archive.org

LOL Dude, i wasn't talking about Tarzan. xD
But thanks for the tip, i really appreciate it. :)

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #106 on: March 08, 2013, 02:32:15 AM »
LOL Dude, i wasn't talking about Tarzan. xD
But thanks for the tip, i really appreciate it. :)

Hey glad to, hope you like them :) But if you don't there's lots of great free public domain books, including hundreds of classic works by legendary authors to be found on Project Gutenberg/archive.org. If you like the Tarzan stories you could give his "John Carter of Mars" books (the same ones that inspired that huge Disney flop a while back) a try since several of them are in the public domain as well. The first in the series being "A Princess of Mars". Though for my money Burroughs was at his best writing jungle adventure.

PS- Maybe if they'd named the movie "A Princess of Mars" and been like "Hey yeah it's a sword and planet space opera adventure movie!" instead of just "John Carter" people would have been interested and not thought it was some kind of biopic.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 02:37:44 AM by Ratty »

Lone Wolf

« Reply #107 on: March 08, 2013, 06:24:19 AM »
Hey glad to, hope you like them :) But if you don't there's lots of great free public domain books, including hundreds of classic works by legendary authors to be found on Project Gutenberg/archive.org. If you like the Tarzan stories you could give his "John Carter of Mars" books (the same ones that inspired that huge Disney flop a while back) a try since several of them are in the public domain as well. The first in the series being "A Princess of Mars". Though for my money Burroughs was at his best writing jungle adventure.
PS- Maybe if they'd named the movie "A Princess of Mars" and been like "Hey yeah it's a sword and planet space opera adventure movie!" instead of just "John Carter" people would have been interested and not thought it was some kind of biopic.

lol I get it. But i wasn't talking about Tarzan either. It's just one more of my reflexive moments.
I just couldn't lose the chance to express myself over it. It's become different nowadays. Love is over, everything depends on logic, and people who seem different in society are judged as animals!
Is "being an animal" something meant to be bad?? How can they use such a pure word as this for such a pitiful thing? To huff?
So they threat animals as beasts and that's it? Have they forgot that humans ARE animals as well??
They act as if being wild is a reason for shame. People forgot of the importance of their instinct, their wilderness, everything that made them pure! Being an animal IS pure! We see humans acting as animals everyday, getting angry, eating, sleeping, fulfilling their needs every single day!! We even see moms having their babies as well. Oh, so they're still not animals? Aww, give me a break..
How can they see wilderness with such a despise? I don't agree with that. :(

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #108 on: March 11, 2013, 01:10:09 AM »
+1
lol I get it. But i wasn't talking about Tarzan either. It's just one more of my reflexive moments.
I just couldn't lose the chance to express myself over it. It's become different nowadays. Love is over, everything depends on logic, and people who seem different in society are judged as animals!
Is "being an animal" something meant to be bad?? How can they use such a pure word as this for such a pitiful thing? To huff?
So they threat animals as beasts and that's it? Have they forgot that humans ARE animals as well??
They act as if being wild is a reason for shame. People forgot of the importance of their instinct, their wilderness, everything that made them pure! Being an animal IS pure! We see humans acting as animals everyday, getting angry, eating, sleeping, fulfilling their needs every single day!! We even see moms having their babies as well. Oh, so they're still not animals? Aww, give me a break..
How can they see wilderness with such a despise? I don't agree with that. :(

Well, I understand where you're coming from but the wonders of the age we live in are a result of resisting some (not all) of our base instincts. Mostly by forcing ourselves to think logically and critically, without this we wouldn't be having this conversation because not only would there be no internet and no computers, we wouldn't have even learned to harness the electricity to power those things. Being different has always been a difficult thing for humans to handle since our instincts tend to drive us toward an "us vs. them" mentality, and dehumanizing "them" is possibly the most common way to alleviate guilt over the cruel acts of "us".

But another assumption I see a lot is reflected in your statement that "love is over, everything depends on logic" and that's just not true, emotions and knowledge/reason need not be mutually exclusive. In fact I think knowledge of the one can enhance enjoyment of the other. Using logic and science to understand the reason things happen and how they work does not diminish the processes being examined. And a greater appreciation of the complexity of things may add to our understanding and appreciation of their beauty. This applies to love and our growing knowledge of it's physical causes within the brain and body as much as it does to anything else in the cosmos.

There is nothing wrong with recognizing and celebrating the fact that we are animals. But our vast capability to learn and reason rather than just rely on instinct is what has allowed us as a relatively weak, slow and small species to develop the tools which have carried us to the top of the food chain. And it is the attribute which continues to advance us as a species.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 01:35:18 AM by Ratty »

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #109 on: March 11, 2013, 04:48:29 AM »
But our vast capability to learn and reason rather than just rely on instinct is what has allowed us as a relatively weak, slow and small species to develop the tools which have carried us to the top of the food chain. And it is the attribute which continues to advance us as a species.

And that would also cause our demise if we are not careful.

~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~

I'm sorry to end your conversations but you guys have hijacked the topic of my forum for your own means.
Please talk about the topic that I proposed "Little things that make you happy".
Thanks.

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
« Reply #110 on: March 11, 2013, 05:22:01 AM »
+1
And that would also cause our demise if we are not careful.

~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~

Only if we allow people to let their base instincts do stupid things with the tools advanced intellect has created.

I'm sorry to end your conversations but you guys have hijacked the topic of my forum for your own means.
Please talk about the topic that I proposed "Little things that make you happy".
Thanks.

But I am.

Carl Sagan - 'A Glorious Dawn' ft Stephen Hawking (Symphony of Science)

Symphony of Science - 'We Are All Connected' (ft. Sagan, Feynman, deGrasse Tyson & Bill Nye)
Doesn't thinking about how far mankind has come with the benefits of science and reason make you happy? :3

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #111 on: March 11, 2013, 05:34:48 AM »
Somehow yes.
But I am also observing some people become idiots due to technology.

=======================

I can't stop laughing inside when I recall a student of mine downloaded the wrong ppt file from my site as a reviewer for the exam.
The course and the ppt is clearly listed, I couldn't believe that person downloaded something from another course! Plus that person did not even notice that what was discussed in class is way different from the ppt.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #112 on: March 11, 2013, 12:31:17 PM »
Chris-chan videos bring me happiness. It's just too bad his run-ins with the law have put a stop to him making any more.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Lone Wolf

« Reply #113 on: March 12, 2013, 01:16:07 AM »
I can't stop laughing inside when I recall a student of mine downloaded the wrong ppt file from my site as a reviewer for the exam.
The course and the ppt is clearly listed, I couldn't believe that person downloaded something from another course! Plus that person did not even notice that what was discussed in class is way different from the ppt.

That was his fault then. But i wouldn't judge him for his mistake, tho'. Just saying..

Well, I understand where you're coming from but the wonders of the age we live in are a result of resisting some (not all) of our base instincts. Mostly by forcing ourselves to think logically and critically, without this we wouldn't be having this conversation because not only would there be no internet and no computers, we wouldn't have even learned to harness the electricity to power those things. Being different has always been a difficult thing for humans to handle since our instincts tend to drive us toward an "us vs. them" mentality, and dehumanizing "them" is possibly the most common way to alleviate guilt over the cruel acts of "us".
But another assumption I see a lot is reflected in your statement that "love is over, everything depends on logic" and that's just not true, emotions and knowledge/reason need not be mutually exclusive. In fact I think knowledge of the one can enhance enjoyment of the other. Using logic and science to understand the reason things happen and how they work does not diminish the processes being examined. And a greater appreciation of the complexity of things may add to our understanding and appreciation of their beauty. This applies to love and our growing knowledge of it's physical causes within the brain and body as much as it does to anything else in the cosmos.
There is nothing wrong with recognizing and celebrating the fact that we are animals. But our vast capability to learn and reason rather than just rely on instinct is what has allowed us as a relatively weak, slow and small species to develop the tools which have carried us to the top of the food chain. And it is the attribute which continues to advance us as a species.

You are totally right, man... :)

I just fear that all this logicity makes people tend to be more critic and even perfectionist. As they seem to be nowadays..
Society has estabilished a standard way of living that they consider "proper". People who can't be compared to this standard way of living, even because they got differences, which are not accepted by society often, are often isolated, and even become reason for jokes..
How they put create a standard behavior that they consider "right"? And how much people try "fixing" you to it, "educating" you... Even in schools? Even at work?
I can't accept how they force people into a "selection".. This could make different people feel ashamed of themselves...
I don't think it's ok.

Only if we allow people to let their base instincts do stupid things with the tools advanced intellect has created.

=========================================

But I am.

Carl Sagan - 'A Glorious Dawn' ft Stephen Hawking (Symphony of Science)

Symphony of Science - 'We Are All Connected' (ft. Sagan, Feynman, deGrasse Tyson & Bill Nye)
Doesn't thinking about how far mankind has come with the benefits of science and reason make you happy? :3

I think you're trying to mean "ignorance". People just tend to not care about art, nor culture anymore. They don't seem to have a sense of art. They seem so.... Void?
Always talking about daily things, always doing the same thing, living the same, old, nonsense life.
For them the world is nothing but their houses, and even the bakery in the other side of the street seems dangerous.
They seem so locked, in their own life... They live as ants, you know.. :/
And still there are some who have the chance to study, but they just don't care about it. So when they see that they really need to do something about their lives, they appeal for "tricks"(cheating on the test, for example, which is classic :p).
What can i say? I still have my own life, tho... I just don't agree.

==========================================

Man... These videos seem so nerdy and cool at the same time.. Epic! xD
I loved it! :D

Offline son_the_vampire

• Chilly Lemonade
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I see you over there.. Yeah you
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #114 on: March 12, 2013, 05:17:45 AM »
Extra Caramel in my Macchiato in the mornings makes me soooooo much happier...
Twitch.tv/TrippyLemonss

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
« Reply #115 on: March 12, 2013, 08:23:54 AM »
+1
Somehow yes.
But I am also observing some people become idiots due to technology.

=======================

Lol well that sounds more like a case of someone merely exposing their dumbness because of technology rather than actually being made dumb by the tech itself. Take a look at that student's attendance, sounds like one of those who only show up for test days and still expect to pass with flying colors.

Technology always makes people less competent in some ways because it eliminates the need for once vital aptitudes. Consider the ability to make fire without matches or a lighter. For thousands of years this was an essential skill for survival for people all across the world. But in the modern first world you'd be hard pressed to find someone who could do it. Which means a lot of people would starve without matches/lighters if for some reason their electricity went off and wasn't restored. And that's just one example.

I think you're trying to mean "ignorance". People just tend to not care about art, nor culture anymore. They don't seem to have a sense of art. They seem so.... Void?
Always talking about daily things, always doing the same thing, living the same, old, nonsense life.
For them the world is nothing but their houses, and even the bakery in the other side of the street seems dangerous.
They seem so locked, in their own life... They live as ants, you know.. :/

T'was ever thus, most people are creatures of habit and not much interested in the big picture, but hey this is a thread about happy things. Glad you enjoyed the symphony of science videos, I remember they put on a smile on my face when I first saw them to :)

Speaking of videos that make you happy-
NSP - Dinosaur Laser Fight
I've always thought Ninja Sex Party captured that cheesy 80s/early 90s "educational song" vibe in this, while still making a much better song than those were.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 08:39:42 AM by Ratty »

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #116 on: March 13, 2013, 07:54:53 AM »
Lol well that sounds more like a case of someone merely exposing their dumbness because of technology rather than actually being made dumb by the tech itself. Take a look at that student's attendance, sounds like one of those who only show up for test days and still expect to pass with flying colors.

Uhm i was talking about two different things thus the "====="
regarding the becoming idiots part, memory use has been largely lessened due to easily accessible notes/reminders on digital devices. Oh and i have seen more and more students struggle with basic math.

As for the student, perfect attendance. really is just an idiot.

Anyway, free lunches from the department makes me so happy! I can't wait for another free lunch next week.  ;D

Lone Wolf

« Reply #117 on: March 14, 2013, 12:04:47 AM »
Uhm i was talking about two different things thus the "====="
regarding the becoming idiots part, memory use has been largely lessened due to easily accessible notes/reminders on digital devices. Oh and i have seen more and more students struggle with basic math.

As for the student, perfect attendance. really is just an idiot.

Anyway, free lunches from the department makes me so happy! I can't wait for another free lunch next week.  ;D

Uhmmm, okay. :|

Technology always makes people less competent in some ways because it eliminates the need for once vital aptitudes. Consider the ability to make fire without matches or a lighter. For thousands of years this was an essential skill for survival for people all across the world. But in the modern first world you'd be hard pressed to find someone who could do it. Which means a lot of people would starve without matches/lighters if for some reason their electricity went off and wasn't restored. And that's just one example.

=======================================

T'was ever thus, most people are creatures of habit and not much interested in the big picture, but hey this is a thread about happy things. Glad you enjoyed the symphony of science videos, I remember they put on a smile on my face when I first saw them to :)

Speaking of videos that make you happy-
NSP - Dinosaur Laser Fight
I've always thought Ninja Sex Party captured that cheesy 80s/early 90s "educational song" vibe in this, while still making a much better song than those were.

I totally agree with what you say.. I mean, people really should know how to put things a limit. Just the way they use technology in their lives sounds creepy. If they don't know to control this power instead of being controlled by it, they'll start depending on it, and then the most feared fact in this situation will appear: without those resources, they'll fall weak, and even perish.
Something as simple as a firepit became part of people's lives. If they don't struggle, they'll go nowhere. It even reminds me of the Wall-E movie, if you know what i mean..

Talking about putting smiling faces, you're not the only one who enjoyed this. +1 to you! :)

What did i just watch? LOL
Honestly, this song seemed a bit pop to me, and those shoot noises were awfully made with their own voices(DUUHH!!). XP
Not to mention the most notable thing ever: those guys are fucking weird! XPP
LOL Thanks for sharing this video. Although i still hope for more "symphony of science" ones. XD

Offline Cursed Joe

• Hunter in Training
    • CastlevaniaOwnz
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #118 on: March 14, 2013, 03:18:22 PM »
+1
Every time Konomi announces a new 2D Castlevania game. It's been a while...
If you ever get real bored check out my Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/CastlevaniaOwnz and add me, I promise to add you back

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #119 on: March 14, 2013, 06:20:32 PM »
Totally agree with previous post!
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Tags: