Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: SC4 becoming disliked?  (Read 9350 times)

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
  • With his Whip and Courage
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« on: August 25, 2015, 07:44:56 AM »
Seems like the game many of us would call the best is now being called overrated and bad compared to the rest. After what egorsptor said about the game, more peoplple seemed quicker to hate on the game for being "too easy" and "broken". Obviously the OP whipping is their reason for  that. Did he open people's eyes, or make people more comfortable to express their opinion on a popular title?

I agree the whip is OP, and honestly the only sub weapon I find useful is the cross. I wouldn't call the game " sloppy" for incorporating more ideas wonderfully or for having the best controls in the series up to that point. Plus, I mentioned an idea for a hack that makes the game more like the trilogy's control to counteract this problem. While I think he'd kinda like it, I also think he'd miss the super satisfying 8 way whip.

Hm, got another idea: the devs could've maybe allowed ONLY the leather whip and no powerups to make you more balanced with a combination with the sub weapons. And hey, I guess that would make Simon holding the leather whip at the end make sense lol.

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 08:26:29 AM »
While I never disliked the game in any way (which is still true to this day), it never was a preferred title of mine.  It's certainly more updated (better features) than some of the classics, and I totally get it being a fan favorite, it just wasn't so much a favorite of mine.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 11:46:21 AM »
Egoraptor has his fans and many of them will follow his lead which is most likely where all the hate for SCV4 is coming from. I enjoy watching Egoraptor at times (i really liked his CV 1 VS CV II Sequelitis. It was very informative and neutral at the same time, for the most part). But I don't won't get behind his rant about SCV4. The game, I believe, is a masterpiece and really shows off many of the SNES' best features and capabilities. Does it have it's flaws? Sure. But no more then anything else created by humanity. Still it's a wonderful game and for the time (even now admittedly) and it put Castlevania on the 16-bit map.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 12:47:47 PM »
+1
The game holds up extremely well even today and has aged much better than 99% of other games around that time, but everyone obviously have the right to their own opinion. The game is probably (IMO) the easiest of the classicvanias, but I never really think "too easy" is such a big deal. When I was younger I tried to sound cool by bashing games that were too easy, but nowadays I find enjoyment in any well-made games, regardless of challenge. Not everything has to DESTROY you in order to be considered great. And SCV4 is such a timeless and beautiful classic. No one could ever convince me of anything else.

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 01:56:49 PM »
I never liked it. :I
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 07:49:37 PM »
The game holds up extremely well even today and has aged much better than 99% of other games around that time, but everyone obviously have the right to their own opinion. The game is probably (IMO) the easiest of the classicvanias, but I never really think "too easy" is such a big deal. When I was younger I tried to sound cool by bashing games that were too easy, but nowadays I find enjoyment in any well-made games, regardless of challenge. Not everything has to DESTROY you in order to be considered great. And SCV4 is such a timeless and beautiful classic. No one could ever convince me of anything else.

I agree completely. It's just good to enjoy a relatively easy but challenging game. Then sometimes, a hard as hell game is so good (ninja gaiden and super ghouls n ghosts for example) that you'll keep going back to it.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 02:30:10 AM »
No different to the Zelda cycle imo. Except that there are no current cv games in the classic timeline.

I never loved SCIV, does that make me a bad person I wonder..
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 05:16:51 AM »
CV4 keeps an average score for me.

Despite the actual game, I love the old English commercial. The only thing that I looped over 10,000 times ever for me.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 05:18:22 AM by Aceearly1993 »
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 06:07:01 AM »
Well, it's like me and Rondo of Blood, or Bloodlines. I think they're both alright games but nothing to write home about. Except the soundtrack in Bloodlines which is all kinds of awesome. I think it's cool that people find things to love in different games. CV4 just hit me like a f*cking avalanche of excellence and I replay it at least once a year.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 08:00:04 AM »
Bloodlines has always been one of the most intriguing titles for me. The grittier yet colourful graphics, the weapon and sub weapon upgrades and gameplay, the OST, the mysterious second playable character. Challenge wise I've always thought it was quite tough and that stage where the background is rotating in 3d (kinda like in SCIV but horizontally) seemed ahead of it's time imo.

I liked SCIV and thought it was very much its own game, but I dislike the art direction and some of the tracks. I like 8 way whipping but not at the sacrifice of the classic sub weapon buttons.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 11:29:40 AM »
Seems like the game many of us would call the best is now being called overrated and bad compared to the rest. After what egorsptor said about the game, more peoplple seemed quicker to hate on the game for being "too easy" and "broken". Obviously the OP whipping is their reason for  that. Did he open people's eyes, or make people more comfortable to express their opinion on a popular title?

I agree the whip is OP, and honestly the only sub weapon I find useful is the cross. I wouldn't call the game " sloppy" for incorporating more ideas wonderfully or for having the best controls in the series up to that point. Plus, I mentioned an idea for a hack that makes the game more like the trilogy's control to counteract this problem. While I think he'd kinda like it, I also think he'd miss the super satisfying 8 way whip.

Hm, got another idea: the devs could've maybe allowed ONLY the leather whip and no powerups to make you more balanced with a combination with the sub weapons. And hey, I guess that would make Simon holding the leather whip at the end make sense lol.

Sheep that can't make their own opinion will find others and join each other to say this just to sound cool it's the same damn effect that CV64 has were it's all cool to be like "this game sux herp herp" BS then again I have never really followed the crowd. Now it's one thing to have an actual complaint but it's an other to follow a crowd or say it sucks just because this person said this or that because chances are the people that are saying this have either never played this It's one of the reason I dislike AVGN's retrospective on CV64 it's very inaccurate and not true and even in the end he was not playing it right seriously I was around a kid when I figured out that you press one of the c buttons to place the mandragora and nitro into place  without internet and he could not figure it out? please, no music really, fatal flaw in the castle keep arggha!
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 01:27:51 PM »
I don't like the music or the Gameplay. The level design seems all the same and is overall just bland for me. It was also much too easy, and it's kinda hard to consider it a classicvania with the way it does play. The music sounds like it's played at a bad quality, and it changes pace too much.

Honestly, I'd say Bloodlines and RoB are a much better game.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Shinobi

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2015, 11:36:08 AM »
For a 1991 game I think it's a very well made game makes the most of the 16-bit games during that era looks crap, for someone who started with the earlier Castlevania games like Castlevania 1, parody games(boku dracula kun, Konami Wai wai world 2) and Bloodlines, I think Super Castlevania 4 is the most definitive interpretation of a Castlevania game, the more appropriate setting and audio like music, the haunting atmosphere, the way graphics was made makes this game evolved and stepped up into a more serious horror feel as opposed to a unintentional cartoon like 8-bit games. The 8-way whip is totally great and possibly the best feature ever conceived throught the Castlevania series, I don't really mind if it makes the subweapons useless actually I didn't ever noticed it until someone came up like egoraptor, to be honest even in Rondo, Bloodlines and even Dracula X SNES I didn't used much of the subweapons without ever having a trouble or frustration.

Some says Super Castlevania 4 is too easy, yet Rondo and Bloodlines which they think is more challenging is just having the same difficulty as Super Castlevania 4 IMO, I think Rondo is way more easier than Super Castlevania 4 which is why I was torn between those two games as my favorite game in the whole series, I won't count the SOTN by the way since while it's a great game on it's own it doesn't feel the same way as the classic ones which I prefer more over the Metroidvania style games. If everyone prefers a more challenging Classicvania games then how come Haunted Castle and Castlevania Adventure which is way more harder than Rondo or Bloodlines have a bad reputation so far?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 11:48:41 AM by Shinobi »

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2015, 07:57:39 AM »
For a 1991 game I think it's a very well made game makes the most of the 16-bit games during that era looks crap, for someone who started with the earlier Castlevania games like Castlevania 1, parody games(boku dracula kun, Konami Wai wai world 2) and Bloodlines, I think Super Castlevania 4 is the most definitive interpretation of a Castlevania game, the more appropriate setting and audio like music, the haunting atmosphere, the way graphics was made makes this game evolved and stepped up into a more serious horror feel as opposed to a unintentional cartoon like 8-bit games. The 8-way whip is totally great and possibly the best feature ever conceived throught the Castlevania series, I don't really mind if it makes the subweapons useless actually I didn't ever noticed it until someone came up like egoraptor, to be honest even in Rondo, Bloodlines and even Dracula X SNES I didn't used much of the subweapons without ever having a trouble or frustration.

Some says Super Castlevania 4 is too easy, yet Rondo and Bloodlines which they think is more challenging is just having the same difficulty as Super Castlevania 4 IMO, I think Rondo is way more easier than Super Castlevania 4 which is why I was torn between those two games as my favorite game in the whole series, I won't count the SOTN by the way since while it's a great game on it's own it doesn't feel the same way as the classic ones which I prefer more over the Metroidvania style games. If everyone prefers a more challenging Classicvania games then how come Haunted Castle and Castlevania Adventure which is way more harder than Rondo or Bloodlines have a bad reputation so far?

I agree completely, man! I know you can say the developers didn't need to put the sub weapons in, but that doesn't mean the game isn't well made, and it definitely doesn't mean the game is "sloppy" like he says. Tbh, I didn't notice the sub weapon "issue" either until he pointed it out.

And fantastic point there! If the "complainers" say this game is too easy, why would they complain about the Adventure and HC's difficulty? If they want a hard game, they should play a hard game! And here they are complaining about the hardest games in the series  ;D

Tags: