Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Holy moly, new reboot?  (Read 11125 times)

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • No longer a jerk, but still wonderful.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2020, 10:03:02 PM »
Ok, I posted the link, it doesn't mention IGA anywhere, but I am seeing it in other reports.  Anyway, given what the rumor is, it's not that surprising.  Sony wants to buy Castlevania, I doubt they want to keep whoever Konami has in charge of it currently.  They have yet to prove capable of anything really.
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13104670/1/Castlevania-Birth-of-the-Dragon

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Offline Foffy

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2020, 10:15:04 PM »
I would implore you to look at the link again. The first thing mentioned is a 4chan post from a "Konami employee" that proclaims Koji Igarashi is involved as producer on a reboot and that Sony wants to buy the IP. Dusk Golem has said the 4chan post is wrong, and he was one of the first people to mention how Sony was interested in working with Konami on Silent Hill. Dusk Golem went on Twitter recently to rebuke it further.

What's real is Sony is working with Konami in regards to Silent Hill (Dusk Golem's Twitter feed talks about bounced about Silent Hill projects that never went public and names at least one studio that worked on a game after Silent Hills got cancelled). That's all that's real about this rumor. We can assume this is real because this has been the guy leaking Resident Evil content for years. Until today, I've never even heard of Jack of All Controllers and what they've proclaimed that came to fruition. Their article, prior to the update about Sony buying those IPs, cites Rely on Horror for the Silent Hill Sony/Konami collaboration stuff, which Dusk Golem is acquaintances with. The main bulk of the article is based on the Silent Hill stuff, which is real. It even says that Sony does not wish to buy the Silent Hill IP. The stuff about Castlevania is based on a 4chan post, which says that Sony wants to buy the Silent Hill IP...do you see the contradiction?

What's going on with Castlevania, if we are to believe it's still being worked on, has nothing to do with the above. All we know is that Konami wants to "counter" Bloodstained, presumably with a Castlevania game of their own. But those were ideas they wanted to do two years ago; I'm assuming they still wish to, but for all we know, it could be cancelled. Look how long it took them to release Grimoire of Souls, and that still is out only in Canada.

Sony does not want to buy Castlevania, Metal Gear, or Silent Hill. What they're doing with Silent Hill appears to be more of a licensing arrangement, like what Sony has with Marvel and Spider-Man. The only thing we know about Castlevania is Konami wanted to "counter" Bloodstained, and that has nothing to do with this Sony rumor. Hell, the person who said a new Castlevania game was in production and named the series specifically, Vergeben, said it was a Nintendo Switch game. He confirmed that Castlevania: Requiem was a thing before that got announced too, as well as Contra: Rogue Corps.

So, to conclude here in a tl;dr

- Konami is likely working with Sony on Silent Hill
- Konami has expressed interest in the past of likely using Castlevania to compete with Bloodstained
- The only platform we've ever gotten hints a new Castlevania game would be coming for, from leakers who hold some credibility, is for the Nintendo Switch
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 10:53:05 PM by Foffy »

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2020, 11:42:02 PM »
+1
I would implore you to look at the link again. The first thing mentioned is a 4chan post from a "Konami employee" that proclaims Koji Igarashi is involved as producer on a reboot and that Sony wants to buy the IP. Dusk Golem has said the 4chan post is wrong, and he was one of the first people to mention how Sony was interested in working with Konami on Silent Hill. Dusk Golem went on Twitter recently to rebuke it further.

What's real is Sony is working with Konami in regards to Silent Hill (Dusk Golem's Twitter feed talks about bounced about Silent Hill projects that never went public and names at least one studio that worked on a game after Silent Hills got cancelled). That's all that's real about this rumor. We can assume this is real because this has been the guy leaking Resident Evil content for years. Until today, I've never even heard of Jack of All Controllers and what they've proclaimed that came to fruition. Their article, prior to the update about Sony buying those IPs, cites Rely on Horror for the Silent Hill Sony/Konami collaboration stuff, which Dusk Golem is acquaintances with. The main bulk of the article is based on the Silent Hill stuff, which is real. It even says that Sony does not wish to buy the Silent Hill IP. The stuff about Castlevania is based on a 4chan post, which says that Sony wants to buy the Silent Hill IP...do you see the contradiction?

What's going on with Castlevania, if we are to believe it's still being worked on, has nothing to do with the above. All we know is that Konami wants to "counter" Bloodstained, presumably with a Castlevania game of their own. But those were ideas they wanted to do two years ago; I'm assuming they still wish to, but for all we know, it could be cancelled. Look how long it took them to release Grimoire of Souls, and that still is out only in Canada.

Sony does not want to buy Castlevania, Metal Gear, or Silent Hill. What they're doing with Silent Hill appears to be more of a licensing arrangement, like what Sony has with Marvel and Spider-Man. The only thing we know about Castlevania is Konami wanted to "counter" Bloodstained, and that has nothing to do with this Sony rumor. Hell, the person who said a new Castlevania game was in production and named the series specifically, Vergeben, said it was a Nintendo Switch game. He confirmed that Castlevania: Requiem was a thing before that got announced too, as well as Contra: Rogue Corps.

So, to conclude here in a tl;dr

- Konami is likely working with Sony on Silent Hill
- Konami has expressed interest in the past of likely using Castlevania to compete with Bloodstained
- The only platform we've ever gotten hints a new Castlevania game would be coming for, from leakers who hold some credibility, is for the Nintendo Switch

Oh damn, on my phone the pic is so small I thought it was like an ad or something lol.

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2020, 09:32:10 AM »
+2
Sony should get main series rights, (pc and console games) while Konami retains right to mobile games and gambling machines. Everyone wins.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2020, 02:52:03 PM »
Gosh it sucks that this generation of consoles that includes PS4 has missed out on a Castlevania game, but I’m salivating at the prospect of the next generation that includes PS5 might very well get one.  It’d be nice if we could finally get a new vania launcher title, but unless they’ve been hiding things for a long time, there doesn’t seem to be enough time for that to happen. 

Offline The Puritan

• Vagabond
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2020, 04:36:48 PM »
I'd rather none of the big three (Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft) picked up Castlevania because that would mean exclusivity. I'd rather it ended up with some other dev that "gets" the series, can make a great game out of it, and makes it available for all platforms. Wider audience.

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2020, 09:51:08 PM »
I took it to mean that the gameplay and aesthetic would split the difference between those two games.  Which would honestly work very well.
In that case, I'd be down for it.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2020, 09:37:52 AM »
I agree with Lumi Kløvstad. As long as the look of Bloodborne/darksouls is there and NOT the difficulty then I'd have no real complaints. But in terms of LoS gameplay I really wouldn't want that either. The over-usage of combo attacks against sponge enemies was not a good thing for CV. It worked better in LoI and CoD. I could kill enemies quickly and move on to the next segments, rather then spending almost 10/15 minutes trying to kill one small group of enemies that just would not die quick enough despite the large amount of different combos in said arsenal. Sometimes less is more and both LoI & CoD worked with less very well.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 09:40:18 AM by X »
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2020, 12:16:25 PM »
I'm gonna be the pin to pop the balloon here, at least for the Castlevania stuff. I believe the Silent Hill stuff posted by Dusk Golem to be legit, and none of that is in any way supporting the Castlevania part of this new rumor.

Why does Sony need Koji Igarashi as producer when the Castlevania series has a current, new, publicly hidden series producer? This person oversaw the Anniversary Collection and the Netflix show, and remains uncredited in both. It's not IGA.

IGA said he'd work on Castlevania again to finish what he started, to make two games. Why would Sony go to the former producer, not the current one, to reboot the series?

Why would you have a super secret anonymous producer managing your franchise?

Is he the guy with the moon head mask who makes the Nier games?

Offline Foffy

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2020, 03:45:21 PM »
Why would you have a super secret anonymous producer managing your franchise?

Is he the guy with the moon head mask who makes the Nier games?

My guess is Konami doesn't want someone to be famous enough to be able to leave the company. Michiru Yamane, Akira Yamaoka, Koji Igarashi, and Hideo Kojima are notable names because of the fame they got at Konami.

It's outright odd that this producer oversaw the Anniversary Collection and the Netflix show and isn't credited in any capacity. My only guess is they want these projects to be seen as blindly "from Konami" and not "produced by [Actual Human Being]"

Offline DraculaCronqvist

• Demon King
  • Vampire Hunter
  • I shall give you the answer along with your death!
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2020, 08:12:15 AM »
+1
Yeah, I might play Devil's Advocate here, but I neither want a reboot nor a reimagining or anything of the sort. I just want IGA-Castlevania, either as an IGAvania or Classicvania, but spearheaded and written by IGA, with the canon story and the same aesthetics. Lords of Shadow was cancer to the franchise.
"It's not that I don't love to run into the heart of danger... Actually, that's exactly it."
"Individualism is a path fraught with obstacles, and sometimes angry mobs, but for all its hardships it is the only one worth taking."

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2020, 10:33:26 AM »
I think this rumor that Konami has something to counter Bloodstained is pretty obviously false at this point... Which makes any claims by the individual who said that dubious at best.  I mean most of their "predictions" were things being predicted for a literal decade.  Castlevania collection and characters in Smash have been chattered about forever.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2020, 05:40:09 PM »
+1
Quote from: DraculaCronqvist
Yeah, I might play Devil's Advocate here, but I neither want a reboot nor a reimagining or anything of the sort. I just want IGA-Castlevania, either as an IGAvania or Classicvania, but spearheaded and written by IGA, with the canon story and the same aesthetics. Lords of Shadow was cancer to the franchise.

Haha me too, but that scenario will likely never happen again. I always wanted Koji to make these games before he quit Konami:

1) “Bram Stoker’s Castlevania” a proper retelling of the events that took place in 1897, with Quincy Morris as the protagonist
2) Belmont’s Revenge ReBirth; Adventure ReBirth was so good that I thought he should also remake the sequel. A huge missed opportunity, I don’t know why it didn’t happen
3) a game or 2 taking place between Lment of Innocence & Dracula’s Curse. This is still a grey area in the timeline. I already had a couple ideas on what they could do with this
4) 1999 obviously

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2020, 10:05:47 AM »
+1
Personally I'd rather see the series lent to developers like WayForward. They did wonders with Contra 4 so why not Castlevania?
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2020, 03:28:30 PM »
+1
Oh, now there’s a rumor saying Microsoft might buy Castlevania instead.  As a Playstation loyalist, I’d only be ok with this if they also released any new games on PS5.

https://wegotthiscovered.com/gaming/microsoft-reportedly-buying-silent-hill-castlevania-konami/

Tags:

anything