Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Favorite Movie Soundtracks  (Read 2959 times)

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« on: September 01, 2010, 08:07:49 PM »
What are your favorite movie soundtracks? I have quite a few. While I take a liking toward Paul Hertzog's work in Bloodsport and Kickboxer, I also like sophisticated soundtracks like Basil Poledouris's score for Conan. On other days, I like to chill to the soundtrack of 2046. It's nicely layered in oldies and lots of emotionally striking pieces even if their composition is a bit light. Then there's Big Trouble in China when I'm busting skulls all in the reflexes. Also have been digging Michiru Oshima's work on Adiantum Blue. And I really like the soundtracks for the Red Cliff movies, they also have alan.

alan.

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 08:26:55 PM »
you called it with Conan... Thats my fav soundtrack followed closely by Queen A Kind of Magic for Highlander

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 11:31:34 PM »
This is very similar to another thread started a while ago. Escentually, it was 'who's your favoret composer'. It might still be in the logged files somewhere.

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 02:40:58 AM »
For whatever reason, film scores just don't do it for me. I like plenty of video game and anime soundtracks for listening on their own, but feature film soundtracks rarely interest me outside of the films.

My favorite film scores are ones that, in addition to serving the film, also kick ass on their own. Stuff like Vince DiCola's synthesized score for The Transformers: The Movie (and the cheesy butt rock songs that accompany it—SO unbelievably fantastic), or Chu Ishikawa's stompin' industrial soundtrack to Tetsuo: The Iron Man. Actually, I think why I don't like listening to film scores is they're mostly quite trite; the whole orchestral thing has been done time and time again, and I feel that most composers don't really stick out—and even when they do (the scores for Legend and Aliens come to mind), I generally don't care to listen to the music on its own. I guess I'm just not really a fan of classic orchestras?

The 1989 Batman score by Danny Elfman is rad, though—one of my favorites. La-La Land Records actually released a full, complete version of it, of the actual in-film music without all the post-production done for the original soundtrack album (though a remastered form of that is included as well). Elfman's Batman theme has never sounded more rich than on this CD (well, besides hearing it while watching the movie, lol); I never knew they took away so much of the bass for the original album. Anyhoo, the expanded album is a treat, and is a very nice companion to La-La Land's expanded Batman: Mask of the Phantasm score and their two-disc album for Batman: The Animated Series.

Oh, I know one I really love on its own: Dune, with music by Toto. THAT is a phenomenal soundtrack—just the kind of atypical, non-recycled stuff I like. Blade Runner, too; Vangelis is a master craftsman when it comes to music. Goblin's Suspiria score is great, and really fun and spooky to hear by itself—I mean, just listen to this and this. Oooooh. Can't forget Ennio Morricone's The Good, the Bad and the Ugly and Duck, You Sucker scores either, or just about any of Morricone's stuff from any period. I'm sure there are others that aren't coming to mind.

thernz mentioned Big Trouble in Little China. Were you aware that whole soundtrack was released on a two-disc set by La-La Land as well? Ha! I love those guys.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 02:56:03 AM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 06:08:40 PM »
The 1989 Batman score by Danny Elfman is rad

I had heard that Danny Elfman used another tune in order to make the title theme for Batman. The title theme is another song played in reverse. I just don't know what it's called.

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 06:08:25 PM »
Most of the music form the Matrix trilogy and music from The Rock.

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 08:02:14 PM »
I love The Transformers: The Movie soundtrack. I listen to a song from it at least once a week. Such a great synthesized yet rocking score.

Offline Grethor

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Re: Favorite Movie Soundtracks
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 04:39:59 AM »
Has anyone heard the soundtrack to the recent Sherlock Holmes film? It's awesome! Hans Zimmer has composed the soundtrack to a lot of great films- Inception, Pirates of the Caribbean, Gladiator to name a few.

Offline Harrycombs

• Monster fan
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 12:02:22 PM »
Kikujiro no Natsu has the best soundtrack ever. Summer and The Rain are such incredible songs.
The dream reveals the reality, which conception lags behind. That is the horror of life - the terror of art.

Franz Kafka

Tags: