Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds  (Read 8338 times)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2013, 06:54:45 AM »
It would be cooler to introduce the White Sword and the Magic Sword.

I think it would be awesome to reintroduce some of the classic Zelda weapons. But I think that the magical sword is the master sword from AlttP. They both have that look to them;

http://cdn.wikimg.net/strategywiki/images/c/c9/LOZ1_Magical_Sword.png

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090421233554/zelda/images/8/80/Master_Sword_(Ocarina_of_Time).png

But it is also possible that the magical sword is not the master sword, but this sword as well;

http://www.zeldainformer.com/images/news/magical_sword_by_natfoe-d3cfnea.jpg

If there's an official explanation for all this I've yet to read it.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2013, 11:06:26 AM »
You guys are being a bit limited in your thinking just tid bit.

IIRC Aonuma said that the dungeons will be designed so that they can be solved in different ways with multiple items.

Also, you can rent or buy the items. So I'm thinking that the rental prices will be cheap and the sale prices pretty high. And if it were up to me I'd make the rental prices the same for all items and the sale prices different based on overall usefulness.

The graphics are meant to emulate ALttP in 3D, I don't see a problem here. The "Decline" timeline wasn't exactly super serious or overly cartoony and I think this is well represented.

The new picture form ability is meant to be jarring, I think. I mean really, what do you expect when you transform into a 2 dimensional state? It should be wierd and jarring. That shit ain't normal and the art direction here conveys that pretty effectively.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about knowing Hyrule like the back of your hand. The game is stated to take place 6 generations after ALttP, that is enough time to realistically expect some changes to have occurred as has been shown in the trailers. Besides if they used a completely different map then people would bitch that it doesn't make sense if this is supposed to be the same Hyrule just a few of hundred years later.

My concern is how they are going to reconcile the master sword being used again if ALttP said outright it never would be used again. My silly little quip in the first post was eluding to the possibility that it might not even really be the master sword at all. But it probably is and this will be the one big glaring plot hole they introduce. I hope not though. It would be cooler to introduce the White Sword and the Magic Sword.

I think there will be a lot more to this than we've seen. I think the story will be interesting and there are sure to be tons of interesting characters in Lorule. Remember, the second world isn't the dark world of ALttP. In some ways it seems to be more akin to Termina.

Oh, and also, I think the entire purpose of this game is to experiment with a more open style of game play since Aonuma said specifically that that is what he wants for the Wii U Zelda.

I acknowledged that it would still be different, but I question if it's different enough. Only time will tell. But from what I've seen so far, I'm not super hyped, just casually intrigued. For example, it looks to be bringing back a number of familiar ALttP items, playing it safe, rather than innovating with new items in that world even after 6 generations have passed. If you're having new dungeons, why not more new items and less old ones rather than the other way around? (Unless you're preying on nostalgia). And my point about the Painting/Sketch Link was that it was jarring in this part of the timeline. One thing about this Decline timeline is that it was creepy and ominous in its overtones, and this appears to be softening things up more toward Wind Waker's timeline. Here's the evolution of the visuals: oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2013/09/Links.jpg And we see this softening starting with the GBA remake even: i.neoseeker.com/ca/zelda_gba_conceptart_GVRky.jpg It wasn't super serious, but it handled itself a little more seriously than this, as the pics in my previous post here showed, as well. I mean, let's think about the Decline timeline...In Zelda II, there is a town that's been totally wiped out and is full of ghosts, and another town where Ganon's agents are disguised as villagers waiting to attack you.

As I stated, I am aware that this is an experiment to open things up, though, and I am happy about that.

I just think I have reason to be cautious. I think the original motive of this was to re-explore the top-down with stereoscopic 3D, they experimented with ALttP structures to get a handle on that, and then decided to sort of safely make an expansion of that well-known game to experiment with open-world-ish ideas for the Wii U game. This doesn't feel like a definitive portable experience for Zelda so far, like Link's Awakening was on the original GB.

I'm sure it'll be fine in the end, but I just was expecting a lot more from the 3DS Zelda, and this is once more making me hesitate on getting a 3DS, as I question where it is in its life cycle, and Mario 3D Land and Pokemon X & Y appear to be the only definitive big Nintendo experiences on the system. (I'm not really a Mario Kart guy, and while I was an early and happy adopter of Smash Bros on N64 when no one cared about it, the franchise isn't one I've totally swooned for in future installments so much that it's a system seller).

That's really what I'm judging it by so far, which is going to be different than some people. If I had a 3DS, I'd pick it up, sure; but a Zelda game is the sort of thing that should make you get the system just to play the game.

But I've been surprised before. The Minish Cap turned out to be phenomenal (the best game in the series since at least post-2001), and The Spirit Tracks was a lot of fun and very clever in its puzzles, even with its track limitations.

I think it would be awesome to reintroduce some of the classic Zelda weapons. But I think that the magical sword is the master sword from AlttP. They both have that look to them;

But it is also possible that the magical sword is not the master sword, but this sword as well;

http://www.zeldainformer.com/images/news/magical_sword_by_natfoe-d3cfnea.jpg

If there's an official explanation for all this I've yet to read it.

I would be happy to see a modern game in the style of Zelda II. Miyamoto recently stated that that game didn't exploit its gameplay style as much as it could have, and I'd be interested to see one more in that style perhaps with the jeweled sword there.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 11:13:04 AM by RichterB »

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2013, 02:14:01 PM »
Fair enough, I suppose. The only thing I'll disagree on is that the "decline" timeline isn't as over all serious and creepy as you suggest. I find the "child" timeline to be far more creepy and serious. It has far fewer games, but come on. Majora's Mask is en entire game about death. In Twilight Princess you have Hyrule being taken over by shadows, you meet OoT Link's undead spirit, and for all intents and purposes Zelda dies in the middle of the adventure before becoming Ganondorf's puppet. It don't get much more real than that me thinks.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 02:35:05 PM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2013, 03:27:50 PM »

But I've been surprised before. The Minish Cap turned out to be phenomenal (the best game in the series since at least post-2001)

Minish Cap was bloody great. The only thing, IMO, that prevented it from being a perfect 10/10 was the short length. Though maybe it just felt too short because I wanted more. Most of the time I feel games drag on for waaaay too long, but this is one rare instance where I wanted at least 10 more hours.

It's surreal to think that Capcom could nail the Zelda formula this good while at the same time doing something that felt both brand new AND familiar. They did the Oracle games but those were pretty close to Link's Awakening so they felt less "new" and innovative. Minish Cap on the other hand felt downright FRESH.

Man, I am such a biased fanboy for that game. I can hardly talk about it without getting all cuddly inside.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 03:31:29 PM by shelverton. »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2013, 06:41:41 AM »
Fair enough, I suppose. The only thing I'll disagree on is that the "decline" timeline isn't as over all serious and creepy as you suggest. I find the "child" timeline to be far more creepy and serious. It has far fewer games, but come on. Majora's Mask is en entire game about death. In Twilight Princess you have Hyrule being taken over by shadows, you meet OoT Link's undead spirit, and for all intents and purposes Zelda dies in the middle of the adventure before becoming Ganondorf's puppet. It don't get much more real than that me thinks.

I would agree with the "child" timeline as being what you've stated, however I don't think RichterB was talking about that kind of serious. To me the "child" timeline especially MM was more of a psychological thing and not in the same vein as the "decline" timeline is. I also find the decline timeline to be in the more serious tone and adult-like tone then any other timeline in the entire series. The only two game within the decline timeline that don't seem to fit this is the two Oracle games. They do seem out of place due to their more lighter tone even though they are of that era in the Zelda chronology.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2013, 09:48:05 PM »
+1
At any rate this new game seems like it might be pretty damn cool and despite all the trailers I really don't think we've seen much of what the game will offer.
"Stuff and things."

Tags: