Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Haunted Castle  (Read 71017 times)

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2013, 10:04:02 PM »
Yeah, it was a minor goof. There are two different paths for item spawns, one named pthHeart, the other being pthHeart2. The latter is a straightfall, the former the curve, I just forgot to type the "2" into the path code.

I dunno, though, should I hang on to it for, like, a single joke food item just for a goof?

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2013, 05:02:05 PM »
Just saw your preview vid on youtube for the first stage. Everything is looking very fluid and polished. I agree with you adding some parallax, if you don't want to go crazy just add some weather elements, like clouds, storms, etc. Rain would look good in this level. Great job dude!

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline LuxKiller65

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • My YouTube Channel
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania 64 (N64)
« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2013, 06:31:05 PM »
Looks great and lol the floating pot roast is funny, I'd leave it there haha.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2013, 06:46:15 PM »
Thanks. I actually think I'm going to remove the rainy wall-brick miniboss...thing...from the stage itself and make it a part of Medusa's boss battle (have her pull parts of the ceiling down and whack chunks of it off at you or something like that).

Maybe I'll make a series of extra-hidden Vic Vipers in each level that fall like that or something. Have them all unlock bonus shit or cheats if you get them all.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2013, 06:56:29 PM »
Thanks. I actually think I'm going to remove the rainy wall-brick miniboss...thing...from the stage itself and make it a part of Medusa's boss battle (have her pull parts of the ceiling down and whack chunks of it off at you or something like that).

Maybe I'll make a series of extra-hidden Vic Vipers in each level that fall like that or something. Have them all unlock bonus shit or cheats if you get them all.
You know what would be cool? If you had hidden bosses in the stage, but the hidden bosses effect other things in the stage without you knowing unless you discover them. Say, like a bridge is destroyed in the part of a stage that you have to run on. Then when you fight the hidden boss that particular bridge is destroyed in the background by the movements of the boss or something like that....

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2013, 07:21:56 PM »
Yeah, I get what you mean. I'm not planning on pulling any stops on stage interactivity. I want this thing to have as much breakable or multi-use shit as I can fairly manage.

Edit: Got a couple more songs done, wanted some feedback on them.

Den of Worship. I was trying to replicate that feeling of menace and anxiety the original has, but add a level of depth to it considering you're underground.

Dracula's Fate, minus the secondary melody and lowered an octave to make it sound more "masculine" as opposed to the "feminine" highness of the choir normally has (before my shit gets jumped, there's nothing sexist intended in that. I know there's a few people on here who take that shit pretty seriously, so just an FYI should it hit the fan). I'm thinking of having it be a conversation theme between Simon and Dracula before the battle begins. Given that I plan on having Dracula have more meaningful motivations for taking Serena than just to piss Simon off, I think this fits.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 07:43:48 PM by Dracula9 »

Offline FireSeraphim

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2013, 07:48:25 PM »
Your mastery of music remastering never cease to amaze me. Den of Worship is spot on and I like the change you did to Dracula's Fate.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2013, 07:55:29 PM »
+1
You can thank Patricio for Den of Worship and Devil's Revival. He sent me the Revival MIDI and made me Den of Worship, too. I'm going to see if he can get the battle themes as well, so I've got a true faithfulness to the soundtrack.

And thanks. I had some difficulty getting Den the way I wanted it.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2013, 10:42:52 PM »
Pasting this from the video description (since this is embedded):

Haunted Castle - Cemetery Stage Concept

EDIT: Shit. I thought I cut that first segment out. Well, you can see Simon bugged out from what should have been a falling death, hence the soft reset. Son of a bitch!

Very nice! Only thing I'd advise looking at is that some of the graphics you used clash in style with a majority of the tiles you're using. In particular the temple graphics from DXX look out of place. Other than that, it looks pretty good.

About the sword Simon uses. Is that the final animation? Because I was thinking that it could use a swing animation instead of the default whip animation.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2013, 10:51:20 PM »
Eh, maybe. I've got a ton of other sprite animations to change. I guess I can change it.

And I'm not keen on the DXX temples, but there aren't any damn graveyard  tiles or backgrounds featuring mausoleums and tombs that aren't top-down from what I've seen.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2013, 10:36:19 AM »
I agree with the graphical clashing bit. You could use some of the graphics from the original Haunted Castle and modify them to fit in with what you now have. Also one other thing I would recommend; The door segments. When you pass through them the enemies are still up and about, and can kill you if you're weak on health. But in all other Classicvanias and Metroidvanias, the enemies do not appear or are not moving when you traverse through a door. Just some food for thought  :)  Otherwise good job!
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2013, 10:58:38 AM »
If you need mausoleum tiles, you should look and tweak Harmony of Dissonance's "Approach of Deplore" (Wailing Way) and "Heretics' Grave" (Shrine of the Apostates).
The tiles are pretty retro and yet really give you the feeling of a graveyard and/or monument.

Let's Play Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance -03- [The Wailing Way & Shrine of the Apostates]
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2013, 11:08:53 AM »
Oooooo! Good call Jorge! HoD I've found had some of the best tiles of all the GBA titles.
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2013, 04:10:52 PM »
I totally didn't think of using Heretic's Grave. Good call, Jorge.

And X, the door segments aren't really intended to be exactly like the other classicvanias use them to seperate areas entirely. And I deliberately put the Blood Skeletons in the final hallway. I'm thinking of having various easy enemies in the hallways before the bosses (did anyone catch the Megaman reference with that, by the way?) just to keep the player on their toes. But just the boss hallways, because in the video I didn't keep any enemies around the other doors that couldn't easily be killed (just the Skeleton that has to be killed to enter the first one and the Ectoplasm in the short hallway before the second). The original Haunted Castle's outright unfair but the difficulty is regarded as a great challenge. How is putting a few guards up before the boss such a bad thing?

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2013, 05:55:00 PM »
(did anyone catch the Megaman reference with that, by the way?)

Until you mentioned it, I'd totally missed it.

How is putting a few guards up before the boss such a bad thing?

Nothing wrong with it. They did it in the original mega man as well. But even in mega man the enemies didn't react or show up till the door segment had finished  ;)

Tags: