Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Haunted Castle  (Read 70968 times)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #210 on: June 08, 2014, 10:15:29 AM »
I actually liked the petrification spell in PoR. I thought it was the most realistic out of all the Medusa fights throughout the series. And the only way to counter it was to look the other way (away from Medusa's gaze). Also giving Medusa more physical attacks like a fighter would make her more interesting too. You could have one them be like that of a grappling attack; where she wraps her tail around you and squeezes, just like a Python. Another attack could be where she bites you and you get poisoned, just like a Viper. And she could spit poison at you just like a Cobra.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #211 on: June 08, 2014, 10:35:08 AM »
I actually liked the petrification spell in PoR. I thought it was the most realistic out of all the Medusa fights throughout the series. And the only way to counter it was to look the other way (away from Medusa's gaze). Also giving Medusa more physical attacks like a fighter would make her more interesting too. You could have one them be like that of a grappling attack; where she wraps her tail around you and squeezes, just like a Python. Another attack could be where she bites you and you get poisoned, just like a Viper. And she could spit poison at you just like a Cobra.

Exactly, the medusa fights in CV have for the most part always been weak-sauce. You should see what I have for the one in Vamprotector.

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #212 on: June 08, 2014, 02:51:08 PM »
Actually, X, you're pretty much on the right track with those ideas. I'm really wanting to include SotN-esque status ailments, but they've proven difficult so far. For instance, getting petrified in midair is supposed to cause you to fall, and Simon either falls through the floor or just floats in the air (I might have it so that on Hard Mode you shatter if you fall while Stoned). Poison I haven't touched yet since I don't know how to fairly incorporate regular damage to the player (having it do one damage will kill you in a matter of seconds since you only have 16 health units). You get the idea.

But I do like the idea of petrif-eye being nullified by looking away from her. I'll have to fiddle to get that to work (image_xscale variable checks in realtime...ugh), but I ought to be able to.

But yeah, all the other stuff you mentioned (grapples, etc.) I've been working with. I'm studying the God of War Medusas and Gorgons for ideas above all else.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 02:52:56 PM by Dracula9 »

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #213 on: June 13, 2014, 06:31:54 PM »
The petrification should work like Blizzard Buffalo's ice blast: Not taking up the whole screen, but only one way to dodge. And if you decide to just turn away from it, it hurts you a little bit.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #214 on: June 14, 2014, 10:50:11 AM »
The petrification should work like Blizzard Buffalo's ice blast: Not taking up the whole screen, but only one way to dodge. And if you decide to just turn away from it, it hurts you a little bit.

Petrification doesn't hurt you. It isn't meant to. It just turns you to stone. That's how it's always been in the series. But when you're stone then that gives Medusa the opportunity to land some hits on you before you break the spell. Also when it comes sight I think it would take up the entire screen (peripheral vision and all that). But like I said before, if you want to block the spell then turn away from the castor. Just like Perseus in Clash of the Titans (not the new movie). But it could be designed to be a little bit tricky. Medusa could unleash her spell at times when you're not expecting it and catch you off-guard. If you're lucky enough to dodge it, bravo! If not? Well... Take it like a Belmont!
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #215 on: June 14, 2014, 03:54:11 PM »
Or take it all the way back into Greek legend and figure out a way to make the battle so that you can never look in her direction at all. After all in the original legend it wasn't a spell she cast it was simply the act of looking at her that caused the petrification.

This could be an opportunity to do some really cool stuff. You could have a version of Medusa that is so distraught that she tries to hide her face, but when you attack her she forgets herself and retaliates immediately looking in your direction. Remember that Perseus defeated Medusa by tricking her into looking at her own reflection so that could be a source of inspiration too.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #216 on: June 14, 2014, 05:25:55 PM »
+1
Way to spoil what I had in mind, Inccubus. :P

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #217 on: June 14, 2014, 07:03:17 PM »
Well even if a Belmont would be turned to stone just from looking at Medusa the spell wouldn't last long. Apparently (according to LoI) Belmonts are somewhat immune to the spell. Medusa thought this was the case when she tried it on Leon and he broke free. Belmonts can be turned to stone but it's not permanent as it is with non-Belmonts.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #218 on: June 15, 2014, 12:31:54 AM »
Leon made his constitution check. :P
"Stuff and things."

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #219 on: June 15, 2014, 12:27:19 PM »
Wait, is Drac doing all the sprites and stuff by HIMSELF?
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #220 on: June 15, 2014, 06:47:29 PM »
Yeah. I always have. I have nothing against a group/team, but I know how I want things, and I know that people are busy with their own shit. The most I typically ask of people is sprite/code/etc. help, and even those requests are both rare and small.

It might be a slow going, but I'm learning this shit at my own pace, and that's worth it.

Anyway, changed the VK sprite, and worked in button-held-longer-duration and flamewhip capabilities.

Flame endowment, currently, will be a separate powerup from the weapon upgrade (and be harder to find), and will imbue both the chain whip and sword with fire, increasing all damage by one base point and giving fire-element status (I'm tinkering with statuses as of late, looking like it'll work well). Haven't decided if it'll wear off after a while, last till the end of the stage, or be lost upon being hit. Since the sword already is a no-hit keeper, I dunno if doing that twice is a good idea.

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #221 on: June 15, 2014, 07:43:54 PM »
I'd be happy to help if you need any. EDIT: Spritewise and Storywise, anyway.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 08:46:15 AM by ZeroSaberGreen »

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
    • Awards
« Reply #222 on: June 16, 2014, 04:59:11 AM »
Yeah. I always have. I have nothing against a group/team, but I know how I want things, and I know that people are busy with their own shit. The most I typically ask of people is sprite/code/etc. help, and even those requests are both rare and small.

It might be a slow going, but I'm learning this shit at my own pace, and that's worth it.

Anyway, changed the VK sprite, and worked in button-held-longer-duration and flamewhip capabilities.

Flame endowment, currently, will be a separate powerup from the weapon upgrade (and be harder to find), and will imbue both the chain whip and sword with fire, increasing all damage by one base point and giving fire-element status (I'm tinkering with statuses as of late, looking like it'll work well). Haven't decided if it'll wear off after a while, last till the end of the stage, or be lost upon being hit. Since the sword already is a no-hit keeper, I dunno if doing that twice is a good idea.

I think maybe speed up the flame effect. It looks a little odd for it to start off at the tip in the first frame and then it like 'slips' off and has to catch back up.

Yeah, it's never fun loosing power ups for taking a hit, especially not the sword. I'd rather the flame power be time limited like in CVtAR.
"Stuff and things."

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #223 on: June 16, 2014, 09:53:54 AM »
I didn't like the hit-and-lose flame whip either. However I much prefer that over a set time limit that was introduced in Adventure rebirth. If the flame whip upgrade is going to be a rarity and difficult to find then I think it's best if there was no timer, but instead keep it as a hit-and-lose upgrade. At least in that way it'll force us players to be better players in order to try and hold onto the flame upgrade. That at least makes sense to me. I'd also speed up the animations of both vampirekiller and flame whip to help keep it on par with the chain whip speed. Or you could slow down the chain whip to match the others' speeds.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #224 on: June 16, 2014, 10:30:23 AM »
You could make it have a time limit, but instead of getting it as a whip upgrade, it costs like 20 hearts or something to initiate. Something like down + item crash button to activate. Just don't make the startup too flashy/long, or it'll result in the player getting trapped and damaged.

Tags:

anything