Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What kind of control device will you choose for video gaming?  (Read 5982 times)

Offline Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
What kind of control device will you choose for video gaming?
« on: October 02, 2015, 08:41:34 PM »
I choose controllers for Mega Man-style game, but for CV series I always prefer keyboard control on emulator.
For Castlevania Chronicles (PS1), since there's only several basic moves during gameplay, up, down, left, right, jump, attack, it's natural that I padded my button mapping to: W,A,S,D for directions, K for attack and L for jump, and I keep using keyboards for almost 3 years on the emulator until I acknowledged a Japanese PSN version that has differences compared to all the versions I've beaten dozen times at around 2012.
But for Harmony of Dissonance, I prefer PC controllers because of the power of L/R dashing is SO addictive. And the hacked version (Revenge of the Findesiecle) just rocks and it boosts almost all the possibility of Harmony of Dissonance engine, thus became a personal reason that I must play the hacked version instead of regular version and must be on the PC when I want to pick Harmony of Dissonance again. AND THE HACKED VERSION IS STILL IN THE UPDATE PROGRESS NOW. I gave the 2012 revision of the hack 10/10 rank (The newer updated version released in this year is not that awesome for me, thanks to the graphic glitch)

In last few months I got two Wii classic controllers (One is a 3rd party bootleg but I just don't care), two PS1 controllers with analog joysticks and one without, two SNES-style 3rd party controllers, and other things in weird shape. Now I feel the analog joysticks on the controller are always jamming with my fingers when I thrown myself into serious CV-style games on PC, and I had a second thought about the controllers with joysticks.

Other thing is, when I plugged the Wii classic controller to the PC (Using some external hardware device, of course) some games don't even let you control the characters with d-pad, but with JOYSTICKS instead. Castlevania: The Lecarde Chronicles and Rosenkreuzstilette suffered from this, both are doujin/fan-made/independent works, both are on the PC, and both have the game style I can put 100% of my love power inside, and I'm so sad. Then I started to worry a LOT about controllers in video gaming.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 12:14:17 AM by Aceearly1993 »
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Re: What kind of control device will you choose for video gaming?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 03:02:04 AM »
For me it's always control pads, even for emulation, especially fighting games that have movesets that use complicated motions that keyboards are too hard to use for (except for the old Mortal Kombat games, which I got good with with keyboard). I have one of those USB devices that let me plug a PS1 or PS2 controller in and set my emulator buttons for, very handy little device that a friend who used to be heavily into emulation had and gave to me.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 03:03:42 AM by Bloodreign »

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 09:30:03 AM »
For Megaman games, I use keyboard and for CV games I use gamepad.... >.<

I set attack to C, jump to X, dash to V, movement to arrow keys, and weapon swap to S and D respectively. But yeah, I can speedrun MMX2 easily with a keyboard better than with a controller.

Also, my favorite gamepad for PC right now is the Playstation DualShock 4. Nice D-Pad, you can control the mouse with it, and the controller can fit nearly all size hands.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 10:51:04 AM »
It must be a control pad. There is no excuse otherwise unless I'm forced to use the keyboard. Which I shouldn't be forced to. The gamepad was specifically designed to play games so it must be the controller and not the keyboard.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 11:17:40 PM »
Depends on the game mostly...
FPS games are a mixed bag, I change it up depending on how competitive or "hardcore" I want to play.
Favorite Gamepad will have to be the Xbox One Controller hands down, the shoulder buttons are a bit wonky but the d-pad is good.
Currently looking for a good joystick, right handed preferably (lefty mouse(and still using WSAD lol)) so I can get Analog movement with mouse aiming in FPS games

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 04:20:00 AM »
It feels like the PS1 controller (Without analog joysticks) has the possibility to become my "Ideal" controller, but the existing controllers I bought are really old and buttons are too soft for me

The analog joysticks on the PS series of controllers always jammed between my fingers, probably because my hands are too big...  lol
I Really hope that there will be a controller that combined with the d-pad of wii classic controller, the function buttons of Xbox series (Without the analog joysticks, of course), and the PS series' button mapping. Perhaps the mighty Cerberus would be the thing only exist in my mind...
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 04:29:41 AM by Aceearly1993 »
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 07:04:46 AM »
I mainly play platformers or 2d fighters (aside from Tekken). For platformers I always opt for pad. It's just something within me. Although I have played CV on keyboard it doesn't feel right to me.

However top down style LOZ games are as enjoyable on a keyboard.

For fighters I can either opt for pad or stick (QANBA Q4)
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 01:23:07 PM »
Depends on the game mostly...
FPS games are a mixed bag, I change it up depending on how competitive or "hardcore" I want to play.
Favorite Gamepad will have to be the Xbox One Controller hands down, the shoulder buttons are a bit wonky but the d-pad is good.
Currently looking for a good joystick, right handed preferably (lefty mouse(and still using WSAD lol)) so I can get Analog movement with mouse aiming in FPS games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs7pIt_28QU

Take a look at this. It shows how to make a joystick with analog movement for PC.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 06:22:15 AM »
Have been collecting/testing other controllers this month. Nothing interesting, some weird, some are out of shape chiny crap

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2015, 10:12:15 AM »
Yeah, I'm also going through multiple controllers as well. but not for my gaming systems, but for my PC. Since Microsofts's PC (XBOX based) controller has the most horrible D-Pad I'm constantly on the search. And while I've come across some excellent D-Pads once in a while the rubber membranes that interact with the buttons seems to have a habit of quickly breaking down when they shouldn't. It's really frustrating sometimes...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2015, 10:20:53 AM »
I use this one. It has never let me down.

It was cheap too.
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2015, 10:39:35 AM »
I use an XBox One controller for everything. Either with native support or with XPadder. Before that it was the 360 controller. Ive thought about trying the Steam one but I dont really see a point right now

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2015, 12:01:20 PM »
I go with Logitech Wireless Controllers. They are a little bit more expensive than standard gaming controllers because of the brand, but they are basically wireless PS2 controllers and you can't tell the difference from them or the real thing. They have force feedback too.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-PlayStation-2-Cordless-Action-Controller/dp/B0001VNNE8

I usually find them at pretty decent prices via ebay.

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2015, 03:20:55 PM »
How are the D-Pads on them? I usually try to find a controller with a D-Pad that's as close to a Playstation's as possible.

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2015, 04:50:58 PM »
I'd really like to get a PC-compatible arcade stick for fighting games and probably shmups, but considering that's still way out of my budget, I just stick to the good 'ol Logitech F310 for now.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Tags: