Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "Castletoria" - In Development!  (Read 138701 times)

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
Re: "Castle of Nightmares" - DEMO INCLUDED!
« Reply #135 on: September 23, 2013, 09:42:47 AM »
But since you are dead, it shouldnt drop to minimum? That being 0? People could get confused if they realize that they've died because they lost all HP while the lifebar still shows some points. xD
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Zuljaras

• Castletoria (Game Project)
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #136 on: September 23, 2013, 09:50:13 AM »
+1
But since you are dead, it shouldnt drop to minimum? That being 0? People could get confused if they realize that they've died because they lost all HP while the lifebar still shows some points. xD

It will go to 0 when I add the death animation :) Now it is just a quick way to restart the game :)
Check out my game Castletoria in our forum ->> http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php?topic=5631.0

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #137 on: September 23, 2013, 10:13:04 AM »
Oh, so thats it :P
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Zuljaras

• Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #138 on: September 28, 2013, 04:52:07 AM »
I have fixed some things in the game and I implemented some of the things that you guys suggested:

1) Now there is a switch button in the main menu that lets you switch X(jump) and Z(attack) so it is more comfortable for many players.

2) The return buttons in the menus are gone. Instead now you only have a flashing thing that tells you "A-Back". That means to push "A" in order to go back a menu. And in the starting menu if you press "A" you return to the game.

3) Added some new tiles to make the Castle kitchen/basement/torture room more interesting.

Some things I will not do. In youtube a guy suggested to make the torches/candles etc. destructable but I will not do that because this is not Castlevania game. Remember Castlevania is only an inspiration.
I am thinking of changing the attack sprite of the normal weapons (sword etc.) to something faster and more aggressive.

I am still waiting more people to test the demo so I could continiue adding content, but I guess only a few people will do :(

PS: GREAT thanks to TheouAegis who helped me in the Game Maker forums so many times!!! THANK YOU for helping a newbie to become better!!!
Check out my game Castletoria in our forum ->> http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php?topic=5631.0

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #139 on: September 28, 2013, 12:17:11 PM »
I have fixed some things in the game and I implemented some of the things that you guys suggested:

1) Now there is a switch button in the main menu that lets you switch X(jump) and Z(attack) so it is more comfortable for many players.

2) The return buttons in the menus are gone. Instead now you only have a flashing thing that tells you "A-Back". That means to push "A" in order to go back a menu. And in the starting menu if you press "A" you return to the game.

3) Added some new tiles to make the Castle kitchen/basement/torture room more interesting.

Some things I will not do. In youtube a guy suggested to make the torches/candles etc. destructable but I will not do that because this is not Castlevania game. Remember Castlevania is only an inspiration.
I am thinking of changing the attack sprite of the normal weapons (sword etc.) to something faster and more aggressive.

I am still waiting more people to test the demo so I could continiue adding content, but I guess only a few people will do :(

PS: GREAT thanks to TheouAegis who helped me in the Game Maker forums so many times!!! THANK YOU for helping a newbie to become better!!!

I will volunteer to help test.

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #140 on: September 29, 2013, 11:22:53 AM »
Did you manage to figure out what was causing the bug/game freeze?
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Zuljaras

• Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
    • Awards
« Reply #141 on: September 29, 2013, 11:55:25 AM »
Did you manage to figure out what was causing the bug/game freeze?

You can test that again with the new demo but I did not find anything also the other testers were not experiencing any freezes.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #142 on: September 30, 2013, 10:13:53 AM »
You can test that again with the new demo but I did not find anything also the other testers were not experiencing any freezes.

I wonder why that is...

My machine's a custom-built gaming rig so there no reason why your game demo would freeze.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Zuljaras

• Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
    • Awards
« Reply #143 on: September 30, 2013, 01:06:37 PM »
I wonder why that is...

My machine's a custom-built gaming rig so there no reason why your game demo would freeze.

I need some more testing on that because I tested it on other PCs and no problems there :) I am still waiting on testers to say something :)

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #144 on: September 30, 2013, 02:48:42 PM »
I need some more testing on that because I tested it on other PCs and no problems there :) I am still waiting on testers to say something :)
Just in case I didn't mentioned, I don't experience this error. My specs:

Intel Core i7-720QM
Intel HM55
4 GB RAM
DDR3
ATI Radeon HD 5650
1 GB Graphics card RAM

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #145 on: September 30, 2013, 05:06:19 PM »
I'm having a lot of fun with this, to be honest. I like the feel it has to it. Kind of reminds me of some kind of cross between Vampire Hunter D and Army of Darkness.

However, there are a couple of things I think need work. For one, jump physics are a little floaty. Not that big a deal, but it should probably be worked on. My real gripe is the slowness of his attack animations. I've died a ton of times simply from being hit before the sword swipe was finished.

There's also a glitch where if you press left/right while ducking, he'll start walking with no animation speed active. That's an easy fix, and you should probably get on it ASAP, if you haven't already.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #146 on: September 30, 2013, 07:15:33 PM »
Thats the first bug that I ever find in games, thanks for noticing it and sharing, since I've not played it yet. Someone should try up+left/right and left+right also, many people forget to check that since they rarely use a keyboard.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Zuljaras

• Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
    • Awards
« Reply #147 on: September 30, 2013, 10:49:28 PM »
I'm having a lot of fun with this, to be honest. I like the feel it has to it. Kind of reminds me of some kind of cross between Vampire Hunter D and Army of Darkness.

However, there are a couple of things I think need work. For one, jump physics are a little floaty. Not that big a deal, but it should probably be worked on. My real gripe is the slowness of his attack animations. I've died a ton of times simply from being hit before the sword swipe was finished.

There's also a glitch where if you press left/right while ducking, he'll start walking with no animation speed active. That's an easy fix, and you should probably get on it ASAP, if you haven't already.

Thank you for the feedback!!! In the earlier version of the game when you press right or left I made so the other key will stop working. I have no idea why I removed that. I will implement it again.

I agree on the sword animation (the normal sword) I will make that shorter and I want it also to have the same feel of power like the two hand weapons.

As for the gravity I actually like it it reminds me of the Castlevania's floaty gravity that I like so much :)

However the first two things will be my next top priority!

Thank you so much for the constructive criticism. As this is my VERY first project I really need that!

PS: I was thinking and thinking about the sound effects and I want to ask you if it will be ok to use some of the castlevanias sound effects because I will not sell the game anyway. I just have to make sure I give Konami credit right?

EDIT: The walking animation bug when ducking is fixed! :)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 11:15:11 PM by Zuljaras »

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #148 on: October 01, 2013, 07:29:50 AM »
Thank you for the feedback!!! In the earlier version of the game when you press right or left I made so the other key will stop working. I have no idea why I removed that. I will implement it again.

I agree on the sword animation (the normal sword) I will make that shorter and I want it also to have the same feel of power like the two hand weapons.

As for the gravity I actually like it it reminds me of the Castlevania's floaty gravity that I like so much :)

However the first two things will be my next top priority!

Thank you so much for the constructive criticism. As this is my VERY first project I really need that!

PS: I was thinking and thinking about the sound effects and I want to ask you if it will be ok to use some of the castlevanias sound effects because I will not sell the game anyway. I just have to make sure I give Konami credit right?

EDIT: The walking animation bug when ducking is fixed! :)
You should be ok for the sound effects. As long as you aren't trying to profit or sell anything as your own in that regard you should be alright. I mean look at my game. Even though there is a lot of "me" in there as far as custom sprites, I am grabbing sprite work and sound from all over the place. I just credit at the end of the game. You should be fine.

Offline Zuljaras

• Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
    • Awards
« Reply #149 on: October 01, 2013, 08:09:53 AM »
I have removed 2 frames from the normal weapon attacks and it is faster now and more flexible, also the recoil of that attack is faster now. There was also bug with pressing both left and right buttons when the player just perform his walking animation on one place, it is fixed, now when you press both left and right the player just stops one one place and has its standing animation :)

anything