Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: How Tall is Dracula?  (Read 13847 times)

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« on: May 25, 2014, 07:42:21 PM »
How tall is Dracula?

I'll try calculating Dracula's height on SotN.

Richter is 6' (182 cm) tall, and his ingame sprite is 44 pixels tall. Each pixel then must equate roughly 4 centimeters (plus Periodic Decimates).
Dracula is 78 pixels tall, and if each pixel equates 4 centimeters, then Dracula is around 10' (312 cm!!!!!!) tall.

Dracula is fuckin' THREE METERS TALL!!

I'm not sure about Richter's height though, as this seems to be the only source of it. I'm not aware if this info is actually on any game or manual.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 07:45:37 PM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 08:19:13 PM »
therefore, draculas height should be classified as "variable"

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 10:25:25 PM »
To me Richter never came off as someone who was 6 feet in height. I'd go with around 5.9 or 5.10; somewhere around there. But when I see the SCV4 Simon sprite which stands taller then the Richter sprite, Simon must be at least 6 feet tall. Dracula's height game-wise I think is just the exaggeration of game mechanics; Dracula's the end-all Boss of the game therefore he must be made to look imposing. But going by his height game-wise, yes he is huge!
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 01:08:59 PM »
I think the in-game Dracula would have to be at least 9.6 feet. Somewhere around there. Also, Richter is taller than Simon Belmont. X68000 Simon and SOTN Richter are the same style, and in Richter's sprites, he IS taller when standing straight up vs. Simon's standing straight up sprite.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 01:27:13 PM »
Dracula is Godzilla.

Offline EisaKrieger

• Elemental Warrior
  • Hunter in Training
    • My Cv: Fjording of the Abyss page
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 01:55:52 PM »
When you see him standing around at the beginning of Circle of the Moon, that's probably the least exaggerated height.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 06:43:43 PM by EisaKrieger »

Offline K.K. Drunkinski

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 01:58:20 PM »
+1
According to old Romanian folklore, vampires can shrink themselves to be small enough to fit through keyholes, or, elongate their height to be taller than a small house. I always figured that when Drac gets pissed and ready to fight, he just makes himself all tall and scary-like.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 01:06:34 AM »
Also, Richter is taller than Simon Belmont. X68000 Simon and SOTN Richter are the same style, and in Richter's sprites, he IS taller when standing straight up vs. Simon's standing straight up sprite.

In all fairness The X68000 Simon sprite isn't standing straight up. He's somewhat hunched in battle readiness whereas Simon from SCV4 is standing straight up. I've quickly 'whipped' this up just to see for myself the differences in height. It appears that Richter is standing straight. Although the X68000 Simon is hunched over he is the same height as Richter. If he were to stand up straight he would be taller then Richter. As for the SCV4 Simon? Well the sprite speaks for itself. If richter is really 6 feet as stated then Simon's got to be around 6.3 or 6.4. feet in height.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 01:10:08 AM by X »
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 06:56:50 AM »
The least imposing (and therefore most realistic) Dracula comparison comes from Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse.

Now bear with me, as we have to go through some conversions with some assumptions:
1. Richter is 5'9" (69") or so.
2. Fake Trevor is just as tall as Richter is.
3. Fake Trevor's height is the same as real (CVIII) Trevor's Height.
4. Dracula's 'real' height doesn't truly change between all the games...

Having said that:
-69 / 32 = 2.15625 Inches per Pixel (NES)
Dracula is 49 pixels on his human form when he stands up in CVIII
-49 x 2.15625 = 105.65625 = 8ft, 9.6inches... so 8'9"
Still freakishly tall, but shorter than 10 ft tall.

To put it in perspective, Dracula is now a foot and two inches or so taller than Sagat from Street Fighter 2.

You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 06:14:25 PM »
I always thought Dracula's crazy sprite-height had more to do with game mechanics and old vampire lore than an actual measurement. As Drunkinski said, Romanian lore dictates vampires to have control over their body size. There's also global stories about vampires always appearing very tall and elongated.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline son_the_vampire

• Chilly Lemonade
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I see you over there.. Yeah you
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 12:44:33 PM »
yea i always thought Drac stood at least 7 ft tall. I recall reading something along those lines before.
Twitch.tv/TrippyLemonss

Offline K.K. Drunkinski

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 01:05:14 PM »
+1
Ya know, if Drac is just regularly 7 ft tall or more all the time in the CV universe, it'd explain Lisa looking past his vampirism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuHw5ivCs1A

(couldn't figure out how to imbed the damn vid)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 01:32:57 PM by K.K. Drunkinski »

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 01:23:49 PM »

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2014, 02:24:03 PM »
You didn't need to, Drunkinski. Anyone who knows that movie knows that joke.

'Twas indeed a ribtickler.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline knightmere

• Lord of The Abyss
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 05:37:37 AM »
+1
Dracula is a creature of chaos, he may take many forms.

Tags: