Poll

Castlevania, Vampire Killer, X68000, or Castlevania Chonicles Arranged Mode?

Castlevania (NES)
Vampire Killer (MSX)
Akumajo Dracula (X68000)
Castlevania Chronicles (PSX)

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania, Vampire Killer, X68K, or Chronicles Arranged Mode?  (Read 10295 times)

Offline JILost

• Hunter in Training
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Castlevania, Vampire Killer, X68K, or Chronicles Arranged Mode?
« on: September 10, 2013, 12:46:10 AM »
They're all essentially four (well really more like 3 1/2) versions of the same game; which version do you prefer?

For me, it's a tough call. The NES game obviously has the most nostalgia for me (it was my first CV, back in 1989) and set the stage for every ClassicVania to come; Vampire Killer was (for me) a mish-mash of Castlevania and Simon's Quest (which I also love); X68K took a lot of my favorite parts of Castlevania (right down to a few of the stages themselves) and made them prettier and with better music; and Chronicles had improved versions of a few of my favorite songs from X68K and Hairband Simon. Overall, though, I'd have to say the NES game, because it brings me the most nostalgia and is the one I'm most consistently able to play all the way through without getting tired of playing it.

And yes, I know Castlevania IV is technically yet another remake, but it's not nearly as similar to the original as the others I listed. (And besides that, if IV were included, the question itself would be completely needless.)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 01:00:42 AM by JILost »

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Castlevania, Vampire Killer, X68K, or Chronicles Arranged Mode?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 10:03:59 AM »
You've missed some games here.

Haunted Castle was actually the first Castlevania out there. It's absolutely terrible; but it was, after all, an arcade game.

There are also a few direct ports of CV1: there's one for the DOS, another for the Commodore 64. And then there's the Commodore Amiga version, with its famed Pinocchio/Mole Dracula.

But I've cast my vote, of course, for the noble NES Castlevania; it stands as an undeniable monument to the series' glory.
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 11:57:10 AM »
Super Castlevania IV was also a CV 1 remake. Don't forget that one.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 01:38:10 PM »
Chronicles for PSX.
But you forgot about Haunted Castle and Super Castlevania IV.
They aren't more different to the original CV than Chronicles and X68000.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 04:20:41 PM »
Chronicles.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 05:53:08 PM »
Haunted Castle was actually the first Castlevania out there. It's absolutely terrible; but it was, after all, an arcade game.

Um? Castlevania, Vampire Killer, and Castlevania II all came before it (unless you're stating something else).

There's no mistaking that the Famicom Disk System Akumajo Dracula is the first ever game in the series, conceptually and otherwise.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 08:19:44 AM »
Ah, you'll have to excuse me there.
It seems I'd misread the games' release dates when I last looked at them. I thought it was strange.
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline Beaumont_Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
    • Haunted Pixels
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 09:03:38 AM »
I have to go with the original Castlevania (or IV, if that's allowed).
He's back! The man behind the mask!

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 11:56:20 AM »
Normally I'd go with CV 1 NES but this time I chose X68K AkdraX68. It took the original game and expanded on it with beautiful sprites, grand music, and some new ideas without changing the formula of the original vision whatsoever.

Though CV 1 will always be in my game collection, AkdraX68K in original format is on a PC too expensive to own and the game itself isn't cheap (so I emulate it). Yes CV Chronicles is a port of the game, but I hear even the original mode tinkered with things, the difficulty, and the creepy dolls don't talk like in the original (this second one I know for sure).

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 12:27:22 PM »
+1
I played Chronicles on the Playstation on both modes, but I never emulated it.
So, if they changed stuff in the original mode, it seems there's still a CV game I've been missing...
I will have to emulate it  :)
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 01:23:36 PM »
I played Chronicles on the Playstation on both modes, but I never emulated it.
So, if they changed stuff in the original mode, it seems there's still a CV game I've been missing...
I will have to emulate it  :)

Same thing here. Let me know if you find something about that, I will do the same, even if PM should be needed. :)
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 01:29:21 PM »
Okey dokey!  :)

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 04:11:30 PM »
Well I don't emulate Chronicles, I own two versions of it, US and PAL.  ;D

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 04:18:00 PM »
I own Chronicles, but I want to try the X68000 version, if I can find some emulator capable of doing it.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2013, 09:49:01 PM »
Never thought of it before, but probably the X68000 version, for the same reasons Bloodreign stated. I also liked the few creepy/weird touches they added to some of the levels (bodies "drowning" in a blank canvas, the illusory wall, the fetuses, etc.)

I never knew they changed a few things in the Chronicles release. Now I want an external floppy drive.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Tags: