Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: I know the feeling.  (Read 12594 times)

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2023, 01:19:35 AM »
I don't even mind the idea of the series getting the so-called "Netflix treatment" tbh.

But can we at least get some more goddamn source material in there somewhere? Can we see more focus on the Belmonts doing cool shit, like in the games?
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2023, 04:47:28 PM »
Can't believe that what's disappointed many of you seems to be such petty issues. Social justice discussion in my Castlevania? weirdos in my Castlevania? It would make less sense not to include them considering it's a series about supernatural monsters and the societal exiles fated to hunt them.
 That's all besides the point though, this Castlevania just sucks. I don't want any Castlevania that sucks and that's why it upsets me. Like JR said, it needs Belmonts doing cool shit. And it uh, needs to be animated well. More monsters too? Castlevania has only ever had like, a handful of vampires in it as a game series. I don't like the idea of it becoming a "vampire IP".

Crazy that Castlevania stopped being good in like, 2005. Is that the price we pay for the back-to-back masterpiece releases from 86-97?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is why they chose the all-inclusive setting of TRANSylvania…. ⛳️ 👏🏽

first of all, what a completely useless comment. nothing you've said in this thread has been of value, and it's like you're just inserting buzzwords to get noticed. or rather, you think about these things so much and blame them for everything that goes wrong that you can't help but bring it up when you're mad about Castlevania. you should feel embarrassed, you know there are trans people using this forum this very moment? I hope every animated Belmont in the future transitions three times and talks about their experience and struggles at length just so you can't ever get it out of your head.

this forum isn't your centralized social media where everyone is playing for a crowd. we're not a group of strangers you can forgo all social etiquette with.
this is the last goddamned place on the internet i like specifically because i can come here without seeing large amounts of people blame my identity for all of the issues they and their society grapple with. there's nothing i can do about it, the algorithms know what i am and are sure i want to see that vile hatred because it has something to do with me. I'm so tired of it, and I'm sure a lot of people here have similar topics that they know they can avoid when they're here.

this is a place for peace.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 04:49:52 PM by BLOOD MONKEY »
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline konamiesque

• Scholar of the Occult
  • I'm special interested in this
    • Castle's Keep
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2023, 07:40:06 PM »
Finally, some common sense in this godforsaken thread. Netflixvania has a myriad of issues, and the fact that some of the characters are no longer white or straight is by far the least of them.

It frustrates me beyond words that because I don't like the Netflix show, I end up getting lumped in with these reactionaries who can't stop pissing and shitting themselves about Muh Blacks and Muh Gays. I'm not mad that the show is "woke", I'm mad because I'm deeply autistic about Castlevania and have impossibly high standards for what a good adaptation of the games should look like!  :P

P.S.
Crazy that Castlevania stopped being good in like, 2005.
Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia are good games, goddammit! I WILL die on this hill!
Castlevania archive (desktop only)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2023, 09:21:20 PM »
Do people doubt the greatness of POR and OOE? Those are top-tier gameage.

I'd throw in LOI and COD. The latter gets flak but it's damn good once you look past the flaws.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2023, 05:50:44 PM »
Do people doubt the greatness of POR and OOE? Those are top-tier gameage.

Hardly, OOE = 🐐 imo
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Darkmoon

• ICVD Keeper
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Vampire Hunter
  • I Have No Idea Where I'm Going
    • Castlevania: The Inverted Dungeon
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2023, 05:53:10 PM »
OoE is interesting, but not my fave. Same for PoR. I like them both fine, but for me the Metroidvania era peaked with the Sorrow games. Dawn has great ideas, Aria has the better gameplay.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2023, 04:14:12 PM »
DOS has some really good graphics and atmosphere but I find the level layouts mostly pretty boring. AOS is my favorite post-SOTN Metroidvania and I feel like Dawn took several steps backward and is the weakest of the DS trilogy.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2023, 04:35:06 PM »
DOS has some really good graphics and atmosphere but I find the level layouts mostly pretty boring. AOS is my favorite post-SOTN Metroidvania and I feel like Dawn took several steps backward and is the weakest of the DS trilogy.

AoS Castle & exploration>>>> DoS Castle & exploration

DoS Julius Mode >>>>> AoS Julius Mode

It’s neck and neck, but Julius Mode is worlds better in DoS (better than playing as Soma imho and takes out the touchscreen elements with the bosses)

AoS could’ve been better if it had a higher difficulty that was actually more challenging(hard mode is a joke) where as Julius Mode is that difficulty in DoS.

Therefore, DoS wins(narrowly) imo.

v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2023, 06:52:29 PM »
I don't recall liking Julius mode in either. :p But I'm generally not a fan of the extra modes in these games.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Darkmoon

• ICVD Keeper
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Vampire Hunter
  • I Have No Idea Where I'm Going
    • Castlevania: The Inverted Dungeon
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2023, 08:55:47 PM »
+1
DoS Julius Mode is probably the best alt mode in any of the IGAvania games. It's the most complete, with its own story and alternate final boss. It's what all the other alt modes should have been.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2023, 04:32:55 AM »
DoS Julius Mode is probably the best alt mode in any of the IGAvania games. It's the most complete, with its own story and alternate final boss. It's what all the other alt modes should have been.

Not to mention the feels harkening back to CVIII with interchangeable characters(Belmont>Belnades>Alucard) with a better final boss.
An alternate mode that’s so complete, it could’ve replaced the main one.

I forgot to mention that while DoS and AoS have great boss battles, Death alone in DoS tips it over the edge. The Paranoia boss/ element was cool as hell, as well.

v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2023, 10:33:09 PM »
+3
I've always avoided watching this show, looks like that trend will continue. Give people free range to use their own ideas, and they completely flip lore on it's ear, and out the door.

Just make a show about Simon drop kicking zombies, knocking the shit out of bats, punching walls, and eating chicken hidden within. But knowing Netflix and the people behind the show, they'd adapt the Captain N Simon instead.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2023, 11:27:34 PM »
I’ll throw in my 2 cents:

The show isn’t that bad. Does it have things that I disagree with? Sure. However it is a loose adaptation, they’re going to take liberties to make things different which should be expected by everyone. The script & dialogue can be cringe at times. From what I’ve seen nothing in the show is as egregious as what MercurySteam did with their iteration of the Lords of Shadow games. The show follows the lore not 100%, but close enough. Perhaps had this been made in the early-mid 2000s then it would’ve been an entirely accurate retelling of the games.

Concerning Julius mode in Dawn of Sorrow, the one thing I hate about it is Julius’ ugly ass sprite. It just doesn’t look good at all. He’s slow, the way he runs looks super awkward, the way he turns around, the lack of detail.. ugh. He looked way better in Aria of Sorrow. They also watered down Alucard A LOT. I think it would’ve been badass had they made an entirely new sprite for him that depicts him in his modernized black suit.

Offline Eric Roman

• Arima Red
  • Vampire Hunter
  • THE RISE that Eric Roman has sent
    • EricTJRoman.com
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2023, 12:11:25 AM »
+1
The cel art for Dawn of Sorrow was embarrassing.

Julius, a shame what it did to you. 

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2023, 07:35:14 PM »
Yes it is. Especially considering how smooth & seamless Soma is animated. You can literally see his breath in the snowy outdoor areas. Why couldn’t they apply that attention to detail to Julius?

Tags: