Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Random Engine  (Read 2741 times)

Offline Wallz!

• Hunter in Training
  • Experimental fan games galore!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« on: May 02, 2012, 07:33:52 PM »
Basically, stairs have always been my worst nightmare when it comes to programming castlevania. This is my most recent attempt at working with them:

Also, check out the engine demo below, tell me if I'm on the right track.

http://www.4shared.com/file/SLg9yOwX/CV3XX.html
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 06:49:04 PM by ronny14 »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Currently Unnamed Castlevania 3 Remake
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 09:04:17 PM »
After losing interest in the Simon's Quest remake, I decided to go with something simpler: A remake of CV3. I'm currently in the process of creating the engine, and I am aiming to do a chibi remake, as you can see by the use of Jorge Fuentes's revamped Trevor. Here's a little screeny of the current engine:

This is a good idea. Working on the engine first will get most, if not all the hard work out of the way. Then you can have all the fun putting in the graphics!
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
Re: Currently Unnamed Castlevania 3 Remake
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 10:07:58 PM »
What are you coding it in?

Stupid question. I remember your other thread now.

Are you using object-based tile collisions? That's a bad idea. You should use tile-based collisions. The sooner you start scripting them, the better, as the greater part of your game will be based on that and once you get that out of the way, enemies will be the only thing left to tackle. If you insist on using objects because tiles seem too daunting for you, use my Ground Object Tiler script. Of course, it relies on a tile layer, so you will need to use tiles with it, but the collisions will all be object-based. You should be using tiles anyway because that's the most sensible way to make a 2D game. My script will just make it run much faster.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 10:12:16 PM by TheouAegis »
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Tags: