Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Harmony of Dissonance  (Read 15669 times)

Offline Marto

• Kojima fan :)
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Marto's Art
    • Awards
Harmony of Dissonance
« on: September 15, 2007, 04:32:36 PM »
I know I am going to be shot for this comment, but I really like this game.

I hadn't played it in about a year, and about three days ago, just picked it up and have been playing it on and off. I really like it. The environment's fun, and the beepy music actually seems fitting. Sure Juste's sprite could be different, but it's not that bad. The game seems to fit perfectly with the time of year too. So, unless you hate the game, pick it up and play it if you haven't in a while, and you'll see what I mean. It has many redeeming qualities. Especially now that Castlevania's began to, again, lose its touch.

And I think I might be the only one, but Maxim K is extremely enjoyable to play as!

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 06:06:39 PM »
I had to copies of this game. The first one I bought it was brand new just released, & I remember playing it on my SP  ;D ..

But I let one of my friends borrow my sp along with HoD, and he's in jail now :o but now I have a new copy purchased from eBay.

I like it, but the bosses are just...

Offline ProtoBelmont

• is not a newbie
  • Hunter in Training
  • I am the voice inside your head
    • Awards
Re: Harmony of Dissonance
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 07:20:57 PM »
In Reply To #1
Indeed, I know how you feel. The smooth colorful graphic (what I think of anyways) and the music, seem to bring the game back to me quite well. It sets a nostalgic mode in me!

Though about the time I hit the underground cave region, I start to lose steam, but usually I can grind my way through that part!  ;D

Offline Successor The Cruel

• In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might...
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Beware my Power! Green Lantern's Light!
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Chapel of Resonance
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 08:50:17 PM »
I think it is really fun.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 09:06:29 PM »
I really like Harmony, and I think it's unfairly bashed by a lot of the members here.  But I tried to play through it again about three weeks ago, and it was just...boring.  I really had to force myself to play through to the end.  Strange, because I've played through it about a dozen times before and I've always loved it.  I think the problem was that I started a new Aria save file halfway through my Harmony game, and all I wanted to do was finish Aria instead of Harmony.  I guess by contrast Aria is just that much better, though I never felt that way until now.

Offline DarkLavos

• I Cut Throat
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 09:55:34 PM »
I like playing as Maxim and doing Simon boss rush but playing as Juste is just plain boring.

Offline CastleToastM

• Toast Fan
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Waffles are pretty great
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (NDS)
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 01:36:06 AM »
I like HoD, but the bosses are plain lame. I also wonder how it feels like to play it after a super long time.

I play almost all my games on and off, here and there.

Platinum Armor

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 08:49:31 AM »
I enjoyed the secret room extra with the furniture.

Offline Blue Cheese

• SO DAMNED GOOD
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 04:25:24 PM »
I still like it well enough, I guess. Thing is I played it for the first time after I had played through Aria, so things like the graphics, story, and worst of all, music, seemed like a total punch to the gut.  After a while i warmed up to it but that first play through was quite the exxercise in patience.

Offline Acunia

• Milk and cookies!!!
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2007, 06:04:11 PM »
HoD is one of my favorite in the series xP
love that game...

btw what happend to the old forums? I was away for a couple of months and now my old link won't even load, whats up with that?

Offline Esco

• In SERIOUS need of sprite help for the SOTN HACKED engine! PM me please if you can help.
  • Forgotten One
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2007, 07:38:20 PM »
+1
On normal mode... I hated the game. I didn't like maxim mode either. But hard mode? Let's just say I got my ass handed to me on MANY occasions. But also keep in mind that I am one of those players who tends not to use healing items almost ever.  ;D

- Esco... the original New Yurican and creator of the Castlevania: SOTN Hacked Engine!

Link to the blog for the "hack:" http://sotnhacked.wordpress.com

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 11:58:16 AM »
I think I would have loved HoD had it been released for the NES instead of the GBA. It just seemed like a throwback in terms of the graphics and music.

That, and the castle design left much to be desired. But I might go back and play it again. Maybe it just needs another chance.

Offline Marto

• Kojima fan :)
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Marto's Art
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2007, 09:34:46 PM »
In Reply To #10

Old forums stank, so now, here we are, in this dandy doodle place-a-mabober. :D

As for the game, DoctaMario, you really thought it was a throwback in terms of graphics? O-o' ...That confuses me. I personally, and gladly will debate this, think the graphics were some of the most detailed and lavish out of the whole castlevania series. They seemed to be almost on par with Symphony, and in my eyes easily take second place for most beautiful stage designs.

Sure, certain parts of the Castle lacked, but the fact that both Castlevanias in this game were different form each other in most aspects, something that Symphony DID not do, even shows a superiority in my eyes.

Offline ProtoBelmont

• is not a newbie
  • Hunter in Training
  • I am the voice inside your head
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2007, 09:44:23 PM »
I personally, and gladly will debate this, think the graphics were some of the most detailed and lavish out of the whole castlevania series. They seemed to be almost on par with Symphony, and in my eyes easily take second place for most beautiful stage designs.

I feel pretty much the same way here too! With the unique designs, color palate and everything else, I dunno if I can properly compare it to SotN. But it's all darn good in my opinion! Also, I ADORE the minute details that are all set out through HoD! Whether it be the landscape changing from the ethereal side, the change in moon, nostalgic references, scrolling effects, dangling skeletons on giant cogs, etc.

Offline Think Tank

• usually posts while intoxicated
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2007, 11:02:31 PM »
I used to rag on this game a lot, and I still think the graphics are too bright for my taste, but Harmony has really grown on me. I still like Aria more though. And while I prefer the darker look of CotM, I think HoD's level design far surpasses Circle's.

Tags: