Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania Tile Molester Tests  (Read 5036 times)

Offline Johnny

• Hidden Character
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Change is inevitable.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« on: September 17, 2013, 03:25:06 PM »
I'll add them as I figure out what is what so there is no data corruption.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 03:48:58 PM by Johnny »

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 08:45:20 PM »
Ah...excuse my ignorance, but what's tile molester? XD;;

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 10:19:05 PM »
I've heard of it before. It's just one of the many different types of sprite-ripping programs available that deal with game rom graphics. But Tile molester can do more then just rip graphics and sprites.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Johnny

• Hidden Character
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Change is inevitable.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 06:26:24 AM »
Heres the description from the site I downloaded it from:

Tile Molester is a multi-format, user-extensible graphics data editor that lets you create, view and edit graphics in arbitrary binary files, with a particular focus on binaries for game consoles.

Basically, its a program which lets you edit ROM data in the form of image pieces. Things such as sprites, backgrounds, and other various tiles like fonts and title screen odds and ends can be modified or redrawn depending on what the goal is. You just have to be careful what you modify as some portions of what you see is actual game data and if that is modified it will just cause the ROM not to work.

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 09:44:15 AM »
I prefer YY-CHR for NES sprite editing myself. Works for other systems too. Has tile layouts pre-defined.

Here's a trick I did, as an example, with YY-CHR and Jungle Strike on the SNES: Play through the game in ZSNES or SNES9X to where the vehicle or whatever is that you want to rip. Sprite data will be illegible in the save state but you don't care about that just yet, so make a save state. Open the save state in YY-CHR, import the palette from the save state. Find the tile data. Overwrite all tile data, leaving only the sprite data. Be sure to pick a color not used in the sprites. Boot up the save state in your emulator,  now you can take green screen screen captures using the AVI Save feature. But usually sprite data isn't so hard to sort.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 12:35:28 PM »
Ah...excuse my ignorance, but what's tile molester? XD;;

They are lying, thats the truth:

(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 01:35:38 PM »
I find this thread's title to be wildly inappropriate.

Offline Johnny

• Hidden Character
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Change is inevitable.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 03:25:02 PM »
I prefer YY-CHR for NES sprite editing myself. Works for other systems too. Has tile layouts pre-defined.

Here's a trick I did, as an example, with YY-CHR and Jungle Strike on the SNES: Play through the game in ZSNES or SNES9X to where the vehicle or whatever is that you want to rip. Sprite data will be illegible in the save state but you don't care about that just yet, so make a save state. Open the save state in YY-CHR, import the palette from the save state. Find the tile data. Overwrite all tile data, leaving only the sprite data. Be sure to pick a color not used in the sprites. Boot up the save state in your emulator,  now you can take green screen screen captures using the AVI Save feature. But usually sprite data isn't so hard to sort.

Cool, maybe I'll try it out. Its extremely difficult as it stands now for me to do any actual editing easily.

Tags: