Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Angel of Destruction. Still looking for a new chief Programmer!  (Read 44570 times)

Offline FireSeraphim

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
@Darkmanx_429: I know it's technically should be a private response but I felt it's too important to leave in the shadows so here it is.

1.ASDF? Who in their right mind would use ASDF for platforming? It's inherently awkward as it is (You have to keep in mind that I'm using an american QUERTY keyboard). I use the Arrow keys to move my characters and I use Z and X for jump and run/fireballing/whipping respectively and C for Spin Jumping as Mario (might be mistaken since I'm not actively playing it right now). N and M are technically supposed to correspond to the Select and Start button on an SNES controller. You can also use A and D to scroll the camera ala SMW.

2. I think my current intro is just fine, I really cannot think of any more ways to "compress" it per-se.

3. The Z Key on the world map is a debug key that allows one to see if the paths are working as well as to allow them to quickly access a level. The Debug key will be disabled in the final release.

4.There are certain levels that will give you the option to save the game after beating them and they have specific icons: big yellow circles, big red circles, circus levels (somewhat inspired by CVPOR), ghost houses, mini boss fortresses, world boss strongholds (each stronghold has a different icon), ghost ships, the outer clocktower, farms, temples and churches. Likewise once you get into Dracula's Castle, every level within the Castle will bring up the option to save the game. (due to the fact that every level within the Castle will end in a bossfight that most of the time will probably be rematches with a miniboss or a world boss from the previous worlds, with a few uniques in the castle).

5.I have been looking into it and I have been thinking about a way to have animated tiles in game without having to code a bunch of sprites. It will probably use the same method currently used to animate the water on the worldmap.

6.I think it's just fine, boosting Richter's jump would break the established balance and make it where people swap to Mario less often.

7. I was more focused on making the levels difficult rather than non linear and thought I did well enough for the levels involved. As for movement speed on the map Bigworm and I will see what we can do about that.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 04:47:16 AM by FireSeraphim »

Offline Omegasigma

• Director
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
I look forward to seeing your next updated version, your game makes me want to remix more castlevania music to SNES as well
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 05:47:06 AM by Omegasigma »
Currently Involved in: Vampire blood Chronicals, Project Goldeneye

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
1.ASDF? Who in their right mind would use ASDF for platforming? It's inherently awkward as it is (You have to keep in mind that I'm using an american QUERTY keyboard). I use the Arrow keys to move my characters and I use Z and X for jump and run/fireballing/whipping respectively and C for Spin Jumping as Mario (might be mistaken since I'm not actively playing it right now). N and M are technically supposed to correspond to the Select and Start button on an SNES controller. You can also use A and D to scroll the camera ala SMW.
Wait, are we talking about WASD or something else? If it's WASD, it's actually not that awkward. I use WASD for the D-Pad and OPL; for the buttons in VBA, including the CV games, and it works well for me, if not better than the standard arrow key setup. Of course, I have a rather less than optimal arrow key layout on my laptop, which was something like this:

|   | U |   |
| L |---| R |
|   | D |   |
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 05:48:28 AM by VladCT »
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Omegasigma

• Director
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)

I too, like VladCT initially thought you meant WASD. if so, then he covered that. It makes a ton of sense, and who uses WASD? PC gamers. Tons of them. You know, PC, like the thing you're releasing it on. I use WASD all the time. If I do not have access to a controller, and the game does NOT support WASD, then I simply will not play it. It's too awkward for me to control any other way.

If not WASD, but still ASDF: Because F is the left home-row marker. You know, computer people like the home row, and since you are releasing on computer...

Also M and N are too far away from ZXC to be effective at pressing. That is just going to be extremely awkward, especially for platforming.

But all of this is pretty much a moot point. There is ZERO excuse to not have a controls config where you can set your own keys. I'm presuming there isn't, I haven't played the demo myself, if someone complained about the default controls. But if there is, then carry on.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 07:50:27 AM by uzo »

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
I too, like VladCT initially thought you meant WASD. if so, then he covered that. It makes a ton of sense, and who uses WASD? PC gamers. Tons of them. You know, PC, like the thing you're releasing it on. I use WASD all the time. If I do not have access to a controller, and the game does NOT support WASD, then I simply will not play it. It's too awkward for me to control any other way.

If not WASD, but still ASDF: Because F is the left home-row marker. You know, computer people like the home row, and since you are releasing on computer...

Also M and N are too far away from ZXC to be effective at pressing. That is just going to be extremely awkward, especially for platforming.

But all of this is pretty much a moot point. There is ZERO excuse to not have a controls config where you can set your own keys. I'm presuming there isn't, I haven't played the demo myself, if someone complained about the default controls. But if there is, then carry on.

OOPS, I meant WASD! Must of been thinking of something else when I wrote it before...but technically Uzo makes a good point about ASDF as well...lol

I also mentioned space for pause
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 07:58:19 AM by darkmanx_429 »

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Omegasigma

• Director
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
sadly, only one game I have on PC actually uses the WASD setup, all the rest use arrow keys or an Xbox 360 USB controller

Offline FireSeraphim

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Angel of Destruction. New Snapshot just to keep this thread alive.
« Reply #112 on: July 02, 2013, 12:30:38 PM »
+1

Dry Bones and Blood Skeletons, Together at last!

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
Re: Angel of Destruction. New Snapshot just to keep this thread alive.
« Reply #113 on: July 02, 2013, 04:11:14 PM »
+1
Soooooo. How long until dry skeletons and blood bones? :P
12/1/12: Nominated for my 1st award! Thanks to all :D

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #114 on: July 02, 2013, 04:33:51 PM »
Is there a Maria + Princess Peach screenshot?
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #115 on: July 03, 2013, 05:00:34 PM »
Angel?

As in Angela?

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #116 on: July 03, 2013, 10:28:09 PM »
Who is Angela?
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #117 on: July 03, 2013, 10:31:24 PM »
*Points to Waffle's sig*

Or, if you prefer a more detailed description...
http://castlevania.wikia.com/wiki/Angela
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 10:35:22 PM by VladCT »
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #118 on: July 03, 2013, 10:36:53 PM »
No, stupid me for typing wrong!  :P

I meant who is Angel? Because Waffle mentioned... her?

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #119 on: July 03, 2013, 10:55:41 PM »
I believe he was referring to the title.
^^

anything