Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Angel of Destruction. Still looking for a new chief Programmer!  (Read 44566 times)

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Re: Angel of Destruction, My Mario/Castlevania Crossover Fangame
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2013, 09:44:26 AM »
Nah, this is all single player with a option to choose from two teams, I am thinking of adding whip grapples at a later date if I can convince someone to sprite the required sprites for it. Likewise we have decided after a prolonged discussion on the IRC that we are not going to be using UZO's Richter sprites
The only other thing I noticed is that after your game intro, you should have the lightning reveal your game title just like it does in Castlevania 3. A 2 player option would be boss dude, if you could code it in. I figure just have 1 player with the ability to choose Richter or Mario and obviously the 2nd player will be the non chosen character. If 1 character dies then the remaining player just goes into regular game-mode being able to switch between the characters at well. You could probably just adjust your maps slightly with different paths for to player mode. Also, is there going to be kinda like a reverse map mode when you beat the game similar to the upside down castle mode in SOTN with new challenges and such? That would add to the replay value..
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 09:48:07 AM by darkmanx_429 »

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Skycaptain Steampunk

• Hunter in Training
  • "Eu sunt Dracul!"
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2013, 05:07:34 PM »
the leader ban me for 1 week, only for make a joke, i am the sorry for this, is exagerated to make a friend out of 1 week for make a joke, i am not agree with the one desision of this, my sorry for the joke.

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2013, 06:30:00 PM »
Eh don't worry about it. You tried to make a joke, and due to your previous history here and the language barrier your humor wasn't readily apparent.
As for the video itself, I was going to ask if Richter was the tank and you answered that question for me already :)
Sucks on no 2-player mode (God I've yearned for 2 player CV for years and with only Serio and HoDes to satiate me it's not easy) but I understand the logistics in coding such a feat in. Considering the vastly-different playstyles incorporated by Mario and Richter it wouldn't be easy. Plus, would the theoretical 2 player mode be Contra or Battletoads style?
Out of sheer curiosity, why was Richter chosen? Was it for a good excuse to put Toad/Maria in? Between him, Simon, Trevor, and Julius they've all had good exposure. Was it because Richter was the last hurrah to the 2-D Classicvania style?
Last point, AMAZING job on the music, combining rips and remixes. Blew my mind.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 03:42:42 AM by Phoenix7786 »
12/1/12: Nominated for my 1st award! Thanks to all :D

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2013, 06:37:16 PM »
You were banned for being a zealous douche, not cause you tried (and failed) to make a joke.

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2013, 10:50:41 PM »
God I've yearned for 2 player CV for years and with only Serio and HoDis to satiate me it's not easy
Portrait of Ruin also has this feature, and Harmony of Despair and Judgment, of course.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2013, 03:47:00 AM »
Portrait of Ruin also has this feature, and Harmony of Despair and Judgment, of course.

Other than HoDes none of those are truly viable experiences I'm afraid :(

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2013, 12:36:58 PM »
Maybe this 2 player idea can happen if someone does a CV and Donkey Kong crossover lol

Since I've seen that you can switch characters in a level instead of choosing it before, I thought about DK :P
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2013, 12:04:21 AM »
Other than HoDes none of those are truly viable experiences I'm afraid :(
I understand you can play locally if you have a friend who owns another NDS.
But I'm not sure, since I never tried.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2013, 02:49:32 AM »
Portrait has a 2 player mode, but it is simply a flat and short boss rush area. I tried it with a friend, and it actually lagged pretty bad when we tried it.

Order of Ecclesia has a race to the goal mode, but it's a non combative type of 2 player.

The fangame I was developing had 2 player mode in it. It worked pretty well for what it was, but I can see the need to have an over the net mode, where each player has their own screen. Player 2 had 'Tails in Sonic 2 syndrome' to a small degree, where Player 1 had the priority and Player 2 was on a 'leash' to Player 1. It wasn't too bad most of the time, but when things got heavy, especially if you're in a 2 screen room fighting, like a boss room, player 2's 'leash' got in the way of things. Also for vertical platforming segments, player 2 sometimes just couldn't keep up with the action forcing the level design to be dulled as a result. It basically turned into a one player game with someone else watching. One player could go into 'inactive' mode where they 'teleport out' while the other player does an action. Like how you can 'put away' Jonathan or Charlotte in Portrait. This really was counter-intuitive to the 2 player experience though, and if I were to revisit this game I would have to include net play with two separate screens to compensate for these limitations or remove the 2 Player mode all together.

If it was separate screens over the net, which I didn't have the time or budget for, it would have worked out great though. But alas, never meant to be I suppose. I had to abandon it to move on and actually start my company.

Offline FireSeraphim

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2013, 11:44:58 AM »
For the last time I shall reiterate that I do not plan on making this a two player game due to sheer amount of work that would be involved.

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2013, 06:09:57 PM »
Oh no worries Seraphim. I conceded that I could understand the difficult logistics involved then we just kinda had a small tangent on co-op. We (well technically I can only speak for myself) understand that 2-player isn't possible. I'm still very excited about this project, especially since I had trouble buying into the Mario/Richter [EDIT: Total brain fart on my part I had Sonic written] at first but damn if you haven't swayed me. Also out of sheer curiosity, why was Richter chosen? Was it for a good excuse to put Toad/Maria in? Between him, Simon, Trevor, and Julius they've all had good exposure. Was it because Richter was the last hurrah to the 2-D Classicvania style?
Last point, AMAZING job on the music, combining rips and remixes. Blew my mind.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 01:51:17 PM by Phoenix7786 »

Offline FireSeraphim

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2013, 04:24:34 AM »
Phoenix7786@: For the record it's Mario not Sonic. Likewise I chose Richter because his overall narrative and personality in Rondo of Blood is surprising similar to Mario and the version of the Mario-verse presented in the first two Paper Mario games. Mind you that this is a custom universe and a deviant branch of the continuity for the sole purpose of this crossover, Hence I may mix and mash things as I see fit. The overall tonality of the story (even though I would like to restrict plot reveals to castle destruction sequences for the sake of focused gameplay) is aiming to be somewhat like if Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door met Rondo of Blood. As for the visual side of things I chose the art style of SMAS SMB3 solely because it rich colours and it's semi simplistic art style.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 05:11:57 AM by FireSeraphim »

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2013, 04:46:52 PM »
I understand you can play locally if you have a friend who owns another NDS.
But I'm not sure, since I never tried.

I have only done this once, once. It was boring as heck.
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2013, 04:56:51 PM »
I imagine something as Harmony of Despair with local play.
It can be fun (sometimes it is not).

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2013, 05:09:16 PM »
I imagine something as Harmony of Despair with local play.
It can be fun (sometimes it is not).

It was like this except only in boss rush mode nothing more nothing less.
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P