Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Capcom announce plan to add even more DLC, cut ties with Western developers.  (Read 5955 times)

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
I am one of those gamers. I rarely read instruction manuals. However, that doesn't mean they are useless. In fact, that article covered also the very reason why game manuals are a necessity:

It's not about reading the manuals. I don't know how many of my friends actually read the instruction manuals that came with our games, nor do I know how many of us here have actually read instruction manuals, but I do know many of us have opened at least one. Why is a game worth 3x or 4x as much in an auction if it has the manual if manuals are so unnecessary?

That is a good point, manuals are a part of memorabilia for the reasons you mention. Honestly the only time I buy a game without the manual these days is if I see it cheap at a flea market or something, even then I might not. Though I often don't read them before/while playing the game, if I like the game I can flip through it and it's got sketches and character bios and things like a little mini-artbook. Or just for a trip down memory lane with old ads or inserts like "Konami is offering a reward for your information! : To help us continue to make the hottest games on the Playstation® game console, please answer these questions. ...Who purchased this game? 1.[] Mom 2.[] Dad 3.[] Game Player 4.[] Grandparent ... Please Mail to PO BOX etc." ahh the days before they could get all their market research on facebook.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 09:09:06 PM by Ratty »

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
I've come across some games that even told me stupid stuff like "press B to jump" when encountering the first obstacle.

And yes, manuals should be only some bonus stuff to look at, because they are nice and pretty.
At least, that's what manuals always were to me.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Did you hate it when Metal Gear told you to look behind the case? Cuz I did. Holy hell, I was stuck on that for hours, cuz I thought they meant the case of the disk you acquired in game.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
To say the truth its genius, because its a anti-piracy system. They did it since Metal Gear 1 (not Solid), but this didnt worked with me, since they said it in magazines and my game had covers. xD

So yes, its stopped working and that should be why they didnt do that in MGS 2.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
IIRC you can also call Campbell over and over again until he gives you the frequency number.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)

Anyway, I left the game unfinished at some point, but not because I got stuck, but because I got bored.
I suck at this kind of games, either way. But I would have finished it.
I guess it's just not the kind of game for me.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
Did you hate it when Metal Gear told you to look behind the case? Cuz I did. Holy hell, I was stuck on that for hours, cuz I thought they meant the case of the disk you acquired in game.

Guess you meant this for the video game logic thread? Since MG is Konami. But eh it's not the worst implementation of this kind of copy protection thing I've seen. That would be the protection on "Phantom Fighter" on the NES where a list of questions (including the name of George Bush's dog... I assume the Japanese questions were different, possibly related to the movie franchise the game is based on) would have the answer in the manual and you had to answer the question correctly before you could purchase updates for your character. The thing is there were only like 4 multiple choice questions and there was no penalty for getting them wrong/you could retry as much as you wanted so it's entirely pointless and ineffective.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
Its ineffective in atleast 70% of population (including me, I have the patience to call every codec number if I really need to, I did it in all Solid titles when I get bored anyway) while the rest not even will try.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline son_the_vampire

• Chilly Lemonade
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I see you over there.. Yeah you
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
poor thread, hope i can get it back on track :P

RE6 sold a whole lot less than they hoped for. I wondered why the PS store was having some super blow out sale of dlc. I dont agree with Capcom and all of their decisions. My favorite modern games from them (Lost Planet, MvC, and SF) delivered imo. I HIGHLY disagree with paying to unlock content already on the game. In my eyes leeching off long time fans would bring a company down big time. its like you always hope for more and wind up getting less (unless you pay more) This DLC crap isnt going anywhere but their approach is wrong. I remembered waiting YEARS for MvC3. I sat waiting, playing fan-games and just waiting. Finally like 10 yrs later i get what i want, well a piece of it. 2 DLC ( i love Shuma) wasnt great but hey its something. The game itself was dumbed down, but only to appeal to a newer generation. I feel like since there was such a gap between games, nothing should've been left out. That's when my regard of Capcom dwindled. and since then, it seems to be a downward spiral.
Twitch.tv/TrippyLemonss

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Guess you meant this for the video game logic thread? Since MG is Konami.

No it was in reply to the talk of tutorials and manuals and in turn, basically physical objects with games.

Tags: